Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

46 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Burnley is a must win. Said it before the Sheffield United match that this is a new type of pressure of dealing with expectations. 

And the team are failing at dealing with the pressure. Sheffield and United it's clear the pressure on them caused the issues. 

If we choke against Burnley we're looking at trying to avoid a season collapse. Of we end 6th or lower that's a failure of this team to deal with the pressure 

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think we need to take a breath. Newcastle just lost back to back games against Luton and Forest. 

Man U are great one week and shit the other. 

Spurs have ups and downs. 

This is our first real blip and it comes after beating City and arsenal. If we'd got a draw with arsenal, lost to city and then beat Sheffield United and Man United would we all be ok? Same points just different way round. 

There's 5 teams fighting for top 4. We are one of them. Torres and Kamara will be back soon and I'm sure we will make at least 1 signing in January. 

Villatalk doesn’t believe in sensible posts like this

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think we need to take a breath. Newcastle just lost back to back games against Luton and Forest. 

Man U are great one week and shit the other. 

Spurs have ups and downs. 

This is our first real blip and it comes after beating City and arsenal. If we'd got a draw with arsenal, lost to city and then beat Sheffield United and Man United would we all be ok? Same points just different way round. 

There's 5 teams fighting for top 4. We are one of them. Torres and Kamara will be back soon and I'm sure we will make at least 1 signing in January. 

Exactly. The inevitable meltdown on here is always incredible.

Sure, 1 point from Sheffield United at home and Man U away is disappointing, but:

Newcastle will be disappointed with 0 from 2 v Luton and Forest

Man U will be disappointed with 1 from 2 v Bournemouth, Liverpool, and West Ham

Spurs went 5 in a row without winning (4 losses)

With Pau and Kamara we win that yesterday.

• Like 2

I've just made a great point for once, we've only really had one bad result over the last six games, that was the Sheffield United match , but that's okay, every team gets the occasional result like, Man Utd defeat wasn't the result we wanted of course, but losing to them was hardly unexpected or the end of the world, some just went too overboard with how poor they are, and set themselves up for disappointment.

We're in the midst of six games where we play Man City, Arsenal, Brentford, Sheffield United, Man Utd, and Burnley, we've already taken ten points from those games, which is already a good points haul, if we beat Burnley it will be thirteen points from those six games, thirteen points from any six games is a good return, but it's especailly so when two of the fixtures were against two of the best teams in the league, we've already got more points those games than I was expecting

• Like 3

We lost at Old Trafford (which we always do) with our 4th and 5th string CBs playing as a pairing, our preferred CB playing at RB, and our DM suspended. Not even this would have helped the spine of our team

back-pain-better-not-sue.gif

If all we were playing for was the league position I think we’d be fine with what we have, more or less (still need a RB regardless).  I think the Conference games have taken more out of the team than it had seemed previously and we’re just over tired and suffering for it now.

If Emery wants to win the conference league and finish in the UCL places then we must have reinforcements in Jan - and probably throw the FA Cup as well. We cannot manage three competitions with this squad, imo just being in two is already taking its toll.

I'd still take winning the Conference League and finishing fifth or sixth.  We are still in a great position though with Torres, Tielemans, Cash and Kamara coming back into the squad (not sure how much longer Tielemans is out for).  Get another right back in and we will be still in the mix come May.

My analysis of this is the same as last night. On its own, losing at Old Trafford is neither surprising nor cause for alarm. But what is concerning is that twice in the last ten years we've been winning a game 2-0 and went on to lose it 3-2, and both times that precipitated a major loss of confidence and a long tailspin. If that doesn't happen, today's analysis is tomorrow's chip wrapper and we can reset the narrative by beating Burnley. But if it does, we could see us drop down toward mid table and the season turn into a damp squib.

Two things that might help are not having to play UCL until March, so plenty of time to recover mentally, and the fact we weren't playing very well even while we were winning yesterday so the comeback was less of a surprise. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

And the team are failing at dealing with the pressure. Sheffield and United it's clear the pressure on them caused the issues. 

If we choke against Burnley we're looking at trying to avoid a season collapse. Of we end 6th or lower that's a failure of this team to deal with the pressure 

Disagree entirely - neither were nervy games showing signs of pressure at all.

Sheffield United set up with 11 players behind the ball and played for a 0-0 (nothing wrong with this, just what happened) and we struggled to break them down - the same way we've struggled to break down any side that has taken a similar approach this season.  Against Man Utd, we started well and had control of the game, scoring twice in the first 30 minutes.  That wasn't pressure playing on us (possibly on Man Utd, though); we were in complete control.  We just completely failed to adapt to their pressing approach after we scored our 2nd and particularly throughout the whole of the second half.  Nothing to do with pressure, but actually poor from Emery IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

My analysis of this is the same as last night. On its own, losing at Old Trafford is neither surprising nor cause for alarm. But what is concerning is that twice in the last ten years we've been winning a game 2-0 and went on to lose it 3-2, and nothing times that precipitated a major loss of confidence and a long tailspin. If that doesn't happen, today's analysis is tomorrow's chip wrapper and we can reset the narrative by beating Burnley. But if it does, we could see us drop down toward mid table and turn into a damp squib.

Two things that might help are not having to play UCL until March, so plenty of time to recover mentally, and the fact we weren't playing very well even while we were winning yesterday so the comeback was less of a surprise. 

Depends what you're classing as "mid table" here, but we need 23 points from our remaining 19 games to get the same points total that 6th had last season.  62 points is (by recent seasons) enough to guarantee a top 7 league finish.  7 wins, 2 draws and 10 losses from our remaining games guarantees a top 7 finish - and I think we'll do better than that.

• Like 3

These pst two results have been really **** frustrating. Biggest concern for me, is not the results, but the fact we look jaded and I’m worried we will struggle to get out momentum back. Burnley an absolute must win if we want to continue in this race for me. 

Tough night, but a win against Burnley will be a good reset for us. Huge game that one now.

We are still in the race, but the last week has shown that we probably need to 2-3 good signings in January to fill in the gaps in the squad - a first choice right back, a back up centre mid and back up centre forward. I think that is do-able without breaking the bank, and it might just give the squad a boost and some fresh legs and energy for the second half of the season.

No need to panic yet, whatever Unai is saying, he and the owners will know that this is a big chance to break the top 4/5 and they won’t want to blow it.

Edited by GeordieVillan

Need to beat Burnley to end the year well  and set us up for the Jan games.

Squad is creaking a bit now , Kamara is not replaceable with the current group.We need a RB as Konsa as an attacker is not good enough there and we miss him at CB. I think a right footer attacker is needed.

Prior to last night we hadn't dropped any points from winning positions, the only team to have been in that position half way through the season.

We've also gained 12 points from losing positions which i think is 3rd best. (funny how when our rivals get late goals to rescue points it's strong mentality, yet when we do it it's lucky and getting out of jail)

Last night was a shocker, we were complacent against Sheffield, and we've thrown in some other really poor performances at other times this season.

But overall to say this side is mentally weak and can't deal with pressure is frankly disrespectful to Unai and the team, given how the seasons gone so far (and the last 14 or so months really).

We may run out of steam, and that's likely if we don't freshen up the squad in jan, but that's going to be because of lack of depth exacerbated by injuries, and the thursday/sunday routine that comes with europe, not because we are chokers.

• Like 1

When I composed the above we had just lost 5-1 to Newcastle, not many would have agreed we could finish above them at that point, of course it's not guaranteed yet, but as it stands we're ten points ahead of them and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that it could be thirteen points after next weekend, would just take them to lose to Liverpool and for us to beat Burnley, that it could be argued that it would actually be better for us if Newcastle beat Liverpool, is a sign unto itself of how well we're doing.

• Like 1