Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

20 minutes ago, ender4 said:

The other issue is if one of the Europa teams (say Brighton) win it and qualify for the Champions League. They finish 6th or lower in the Premier League. 

England get 5 spots in the CL due to coefficients, but Brighton now also get a CL spot.   I'm sure i read somewhere that England would NOT be given 6 spots, therefore the lowest league spot (5th place) would be given to Brighton.

So we want the Europa teams to do well for now, but not so well they go and win it.  Not such a issue with Liverpool as they'll probably finish top4/5 in the PL anyway.

They don’t get 6 teams if it was like before. But qualifying through Europe doesn’t get considered as a team coming from the same league. 
I think 6 would be the most teams that could play in one season. So basically if Brighton and Utd won both competitions and not get top 5, only top 4 will go to CL. 

But the other question is, which positions takes you to Europa and conference? Only one team in Europa and another in the Conference?

19 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Interesting that a 'Super Computer' has got us losing to Wolves 2-0. Got us beaten West Ham 1-0.

Also got us top of the table 29 games in, battling it out each week with Man City for top spot until we lose steam. 

Would take that.

Good grief.

Champions League secured with five games left :lol:

That'll be alright I suppose yeah.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Interesting that a 'Super Computer' has got us losing to Wolves 2-0. Got us beaten West Ham 1-0.

Also got us top of the table 29 games in, battling it out each week with Man City for top spot until we lose steam. 

Would take that.

This was pre season and has us beating Liverpool, a game we lost. Not that it would have had any more bearing on reality if it was produced on current data with current injuries, but I feel that's largely pointless. 

But, if we maintain the Emery 2023 form... top 3 should be very much on the cards.

Honestly, if we can continue to keep in touch until the new year, hopefully JJ and Moreno will be in full swing by then and we can bolster in January I think we can do it. Buendia and Mings could be involved in March/April/May to give us that final push.

4 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Would take that.

It has Sheff Utd staying up. It's broken 😝

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

Just watched the super computer video, can’t believe we threw the league title after being top for so long. And then to drop all the way down to 3rd! Just not good enough. He’s taken us as far as he can, Emery out! 

They brek yer heart 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ender4 said:

The other issue is if one of the Europa teams (say Brighton) win it and qualify for the Champions League. They finish 6th or lower in the Premier League. 

England get 5 spots in the CL due to coefficients, but Brighton now also get a CL spot.   I'm sure i read somewhere that England would NOT be given 6 spots, therefore the lowest league spot (5th place) would be given to Brighton.

So we want the Europa teams to do well for now, but not so well they go and win it.  Not such a issue with Liverpool as they'll probably finish top4/5 in the PL anyway.

Under the rules for this season 23/24, no country can have more than 5 teams in Champions League.

The full rules for season 24/25 have not been published yet, or I haven’t been able to find them. There is a 10 page memo that provides some information about the rules for the 24/25 competition, and there is no mention of a limit of how many clubs a country can have. In other words there may or may not be a limit.

• Thanks 1

Theres a real chance of finishing in top 4 for international break if we win tomorrow with Arsenal and City playing each other and Brighton Liverpool playing. Shame Luton are shit and couldn't beat 10 man Spurs

22 minutes ago, supermon said:

Theres a real chance of finishing in top 4 for international break if we win tomorrow with Arsenal and City playing each other and Brighton Liverpool playing. Shame Luton are shit and couldn't beat 10 man Spurs

Win 4-0 and we go above one of City and Arsenal whatever happens in their game. Let’s just do that.

There are too many good teams now all capable of finishing top four (and Man United) some big names are going to miss out again which is great for the competition of the league. All we can ask for is to be in the mix, top six would be amazing, even top seven would tbf. But let’s go for the champions league places, it’s absolutely possible. 

The main drawback will be injuries, and possibly experience of the squad towards the business end fighting on two or three fronts.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think Tottenham being better than expected is a big issue. You know Man City, Arsenal,  Liverpool will be 3 of the 4 so its Tottenham, us and Brighton.

Unless Man Uts get lots of VAR help.

I think 5th may be realistic for us, as things stand, and would be outstanding imo.

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think Tottenham being better than expected is a big issue. You know Man City, Arsenal,  Liverpool will be 3 of the 4 so its Tottenham, us and Brighton.

Spurs have had a pretty easy start to the season. 

• Like 1

Annoying Man. United or indeed Chelsea didn't drop points they were losing for large chunks. But then they could say the same for us v Palace which was similar comeback.

Nothing much changed though, tomorrow is the big one. Do our job and teams around us will be dropping points.

Edited by VillaChris

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Spurs is no different to last season. Even in mid Feb they were comfortably ahead of us but we reeled them in over the last three months.

Win tomorrow and we're only 2 points off them and that's with them having a pretty kind run of fixtures and the ball/decision running for them in a few games so that will eventually balance itself out as you know they'll have a month where they have self implosion e.g. Son or Maddison lashing out and getting sent off and banned for 3 matches.