Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I get the title thread is a bit of fun but I also thought this thread was too not so long ago. Champions league places is becoming realistic. Obviously still a very long way to go. 

If Mings and Buendia were available then I’d be confident of top 4. 

SkyBet still have Manure as more likely than us to finish top 4. History would say that’s right, but the future may well be different. We can’t get ahead of ourselves but the consistency shown in the first 34 games of Emery’s reign really does bode well. 

4 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

SkyBet still have Manure as more likely than us to finish top 4. History would say that’s right, but the future may well be different. 

I’d also agree with that. Man Utd have deeper strength in depth, they can go spend another £100m in January if needed, they will sack their manager and get a better one if Ten Hah isn’t in the top 4-6 soon, they usually seem to start slow and get better as the season progresses.

We have a smaller squad, aren’t used to a European campaign, don’t have a top 4 level transfer kitty for Jan, and aren’t used to the end of season push that might be needed when things get critical and pressured.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I get the title thread is a bit of fun but I also thought this thread was too not so long ago. Champions league places is becoming realistic. Obviously still a very long way to go. 

Honestly believe the title thread will become more realistic as this campaign kicks on. Why should we start losing games and not pick up similar points as we have done in the last year. If anything, we are progressing which is bloody frightening

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I’d also agree with that. Man Utd have deeper strength in depth, they can go spend another £100m in January if needed, they will sack their manager and get a better one if Ten Hah isn’t in the top 4-6 soon, they usually seem to start slow and get better as the season progresses.

We have a smaller squad, aren’t used to a European campaign, don’t have a top 4 level transfer kitty for Jan, and aren’t used to the end of season push that might be needed when things get critical and pressured.

You’re forgetting the man with the puppets on his string is used to this sort of thing and they will dance to his tune 

Edited by Follyfoot

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Buendia more crucial than Ramsey,that's an interesting take.

Defensively we've conceded only 3 times in 4 games at VP and 2 goals in the 3 aways we've taken points from so while Pau has looked shaky at times the unit overall is performing well. Too much emphasis on the bad opening day where pretty much everything went wrong.

10 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Honestly believe the title thread will become more realistic as this campaign kicks on. Why should we start losing games and not pick up similar points as we have done in the last year. If anything, we are progressing which is bloody frightening

Because of the extra games in Europe. Eventually they will take their toll. If we had no Europe I would have fancied us to make it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I wouldn’t, I think we are still a couple of quality players away from being confident top 4 team, definitely have an outside chance though Newcastle proved it can be done albeit without European football.

4 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

I wouldn’t, I think we are still a couple of quality players away from being confident top 4 team, definitely have an outside chance though Newcastle proved it can be done albeit without European football.

New "quality players" are no guarantee of success as much as Emery in charge is. Look at Chelsea right now and other top clubs in PL that have made signings over several seasons that just haven't cut it

3 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Bbc reporting that we have the third best home form across Europe's top 5 leagues. Who has won 12 or more straight home games then?

City have won 21 consecutive home games across all competitions. Would be impressive if they weren't massive cheats. 

• Like 2

Only 9 games in and we don’t have great squad depth. However, we’ve been consistent for a year now and have only got better. Think Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool will fight for the title and we will be challenging Newcastle, Spurs, Man Utd for top 5. Chelsea and Brighton will be just short I reckon. 

• Like 1

I hate the fact we have City and Arsenal at home in the space of 4 days with also  2 games in the prior 5 days.  Would have really fancied us to beat Arsenal at home but just think there will be too many games around that period.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa