Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

I haven’t read the forum for a while (part of being busy but mostly because of last result). Losing that way before an international break is really bad. But anyway, we’ve still lost games we expected to lose (not that way though). We know we can get back to track (happened last season twice, after Leicester..etc, then after Wolves and Utd). This season aftet Newcastle. The quality is much better, but expectations are higher. Emery is trying to force and implement his tactics more (last season he was more cautious). I’d still be cautious especially away from home and against top teams. 
We still need some time to get the right balance and to have our attacking left side back. 
Until then we have to keep pace and minimize the gap (as I kept saying last season). We should consider going into cup games with an intent of winning. Now that we’re in group stages, we shall focus as well on Carabao cup. 
Our run will be tough anyway, I’d take qualifying against Everton and having an easy draw (against non PL Team) while winning European matches. Winning against Palace, drawing against Chelsea and Brighton. If we can keep winning Carabao cup games without having tough draws, keeping pace in the league I think that would be perfect. If we got to the Carabao final and kept progressing in Europa, we could win the Carabao and guarantee another European trip (doing that while being still in Europa and FA Cup would be fantastic). That might make us prioritize cups while competing in the league but with less pressure. It would also loose pressure at both cups as we would have already won one which would help us mentally. 
We’re still from a final article, yet we’re showing some progress at easier games while regress at tough games. 

• Like 2

On 15/09/2023 at 02:06, eholm said:

Agree 100%. Unrealistic for us to be considered a CL contender this season.

I come to these realisations very slowly, but my deep suspicion is that, whether we're realistic or not, the outcome will ...

1. Be the same in the end.
  2. Will have absolutely nothing to do with what we think.
  3. Get less attention than it deserves because of the football establishment media's anti-Midlands bias. 
Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Come on man, this thread is for people who want a challenge :P

I don’t think Man Utd are bad (because of their start), I though they’d be below top 3, but thet’ve lost to Spurs, Arsenal and Brighton. We’ve lost to Liverpool and Newcastle badly.

We can’t to a conclusion out of that. But the much they lose the better for us. 

Hopefully Chelsea fail to win as well (a draw between Newcastle and Brentford would’ve been great). 

Spurs winning was annoying. 

We now have two tough matches against Chelsea and Brighton, we must keep within ranges with other teams after that. 

Hopefully a win Thursday would give us a boost in the group stage and help us to try and qualify early so we can concentrate on the league and cup.

image.thumb.png.687ab7ca03f5be2f7e45779e553a0a7d.png

I think we would be in contention for CL this season, the reason are:

1. Possible 5 CL places, would make it easier.
  2. We have been getting close to 2 points per game under Emery.
  3. Most likely our points total after 13 matches would be much higher than last season.

Even if we are in contention for CL, we could still miss out, but it is so much better to be in contention, it makes the season so much more exciting.

• Thanks 1

If we could win next game against Chelsea, I think we would have made up for our two losses, the good part is we’re not fully convinced in our performances or results this season yet we’re doing really fine. Which gives you an indication that we could do even more. So gaining points while improving performances would be perfect. Being satisfied could make things wrong, last season when everyone said we’re going to Europe we went and lost to Utd and Wolves. I said before that the Newcastle result would hopefully turn to our side. It even didn’t make them do panic moves. 
The attention right now is on Brighton, people still remember our results against Newcastle and Liverpool and don’t think we’re that good. 
Still Ramsey to come back and have a better balance hopefully. 
If we can win next game and put some gap with Chelsea (if Newcastle and Utd failed to win as well), then we can go and look upwards as well.

The fact that we’re 7th while we aren’t really satisfied with our beginning, then getting humiliated 5-1 and 3-0, we’re 1+ in terms of goal difference in only 5 matches. It’s really interesting.

Then yesterday comeback.

• Like 2

We really should be getting something from Chelsea away next week. They haven't changed from last season, proper bad side. Stamford Bridge could get pretty toxic we need to use that to our advantage. 

Need to get our away form sorted and that's a good start. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Farlz said:

We really should be getting something from Chelsea away next week. They haven't changed from last season, proper bad side. Stamford Bridge could get pretty toxic we need to use that to our advantage. 

Yes we shouldn't be fearing going there. 

8 hours ago, Farlz said:

Win there and I promise I'm immediately getting carried away.

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Chelsea have been creating chances well but they can’t score. 

Jackson hat-trick next week it is.

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Chelsea have been creating chances well but they can’t score. 

Theyve been good defensively and their xG is midtable. I think it’s easy to make them a meme but it will be a difficult game. Luckily for us, they do tend to expose themselves at the back so we should have some open space for once.