Match Thread: Villa v Spurs

limpid

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If the linesman isn't sure, he's got to let the phase of play finish. That was obvious enough he probably should have been sure but you can never be certain what else is going on, what's blocking his view, etc.

Like his hair in his eyes? Seagull flew across his path? He has to be able to make that call

Just now, foreveryoung said:

I think the rules are if its blatant the linesman should raise the flag, linesman bottled it there, very unprofessional, but I guess we expect nothing less.

That is the rule, you're right.

If they're not sure for whatever reason, they flag, if they're not sure, they can't until the play finishes

I'm sympathetic and err towards giving AR the benefit of the doubt, often more so than I do the main ref for fouls and penalties, because offside is **** hard in real time, from pitch level, when you've got to simultaneously judge the position of 3 players at the moment the ball is played. Being a lino is way harder than being a ref, IMO 

Just now, sne said:

Casual Saturday in the owners box today. Good to see neither Wes nor Nas wearing a tie.

Did they get the badge in ?

• Like 1

I think the rules are if its blatant the linesman should raise the flag, linesman bottled it there, very unprofessional, but I guess we expect nothing less.

Human nature though innit. If you start telling officials not to do their jobs and let technology do it, of course some lads (and ladies) are going to opt to leave their flags down all the time. Why wouldn't you. It's not really their fault, it's the daft **** logic behind the rule. As I suggested before, it basically means linesmen are useless. What's the point in having them at all?

Refs should ref as if there is no such thing as VAR. VAR should then check and verify in the background. Instead refs are using VAR as a crutch, afraid to make any decisions, lest they be found out as fallible. Which they are because they are human. Whole thing is ass backwards.

• Like 1