Match Thread: Villa v Spurs

limpid

Tim Sherwood predictably is on the fence.

"That could easily be a foul.... it was 50-50, but I thought that could easily be a penalty, but the VAR decided it was not a clear and obvious error, the slaaags". 

• Haha 1

Just now, YLN said:

Watkins and the rest of the team need to actually claim that penalty. Far too passive. No protests

For many, many years we've been far too nice.

We've got a bit of experience and gamesmanship from Young when he's nearby, but we're very soft up top.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This is bound to happen eventually, but so far I don't think there's a single case of a player being injured during the next passage of play before the flag goes up, and we have had several goals in those positions that might have had an incorrect flag

The idea is we shouldn't risk legit goals being ruled out because of 50/50 offsides. I wouldn't want to put a number on how many goals are worth a theoretical player injury though :)

Ultimately I think the best thing for top level football is for the AR to no longer calls offside and how have it automated, we can't be far off having it called in close to real time like goals.

The two offsides today were not 50/50 though

Just now, YLN said:

The two offsides today were not 50/50 though

Agreed, but it's not the rules at fault for that, the linesman couldn't call it. Maybe that's because these linos are shit. Maybe it's because it's a bloody difficult job, but the intent of the rules assumes the blatant ones get called.