Match Thread: Villa v Spurs

limpid

1 minute ago, YLN said:

It is the linesman's job to know if it's offside or not. His actual job. 

Imagine Martinez got injured there thinking it's a goal saving intervention he's making

Completely true, but you're asking the officials to ignore the rules of the job.

1 minute ago, AvonVillain said:

Completely true, but you're asking the officials to ignore the rules of the job.

The rules aren't 'all offsides get to be played out'. If they're not sure, they don't flag. That was an obvious one

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Was that an unintentionally almost brilliant incisive ball from Ollie there?

i think it was intentional, but too brilliant for JJ to fully anticipate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, YLN said:

It is the linesman's job to know if it's offside or not. His actual job. 

Imagine Martinez got injured there thinking it's a goal saving intervention he's making

This is bound to happen eventually, but so far I don't think there's a single case of a player being injured during the next passage of play before the flag goes up, and we have had several goals in those positions that might have had an incorrect flag

The idea is we shouldn't risk legit goals being ruled out because of 50/50 offsides. I wouldn't want to put a number on how many goals are worth a theoretical player injury though :)

Ultimately I think the best thing for top level football is for the AR to no longer calls offside and how have it automated, we can't be far off having it called in close to real time like goals.