Chris Heck - President of Business Operations

sne

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Yes. Because that's his job and despite NS being here for 4 years we've got a dodgy Castore deal?

or it could be like the Gerrard/ Emery situation where NS felt he needed to step in given the Castore debacle and seeing that he finally had a strong hand to play based on Villa’s on the field performance and star power (Emery, Martinez, Lehman..)

Nas definitely would have needed to step in due to the timelines. Considering the kit issues with Castore only really escalated in late September (before the women’s start of the season) this has moved at a ridiculous pace to a, get out of the contract with Castore amicably and to get Adidas onboarded. Typically the contracting alone would probably take longer than the 3 months they’ve had to get this over the line and by all accounts onto a normal kit development timeline.

However, I’m sure Heck would have played a vital role in these very complex discussions and it’s very churlish to suggest he’s just doing his job. Normally you probably negotiate these contacts 12/18mts+ out. I’ve been one of his most vocal critics re the crest but he and Nas have played an absolute blinder here (assuming the commercials stack up). 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Sawiris would have clearly opened the door with his connections at Adidas

I sincerely hope this is not true. As a director/owner at Adidas and owner at Aston Villa, he has a conflict of interest here. The decision may well be in the best interests of both companies; but ideally, Sawiris should keep this business deal at a barge pole distance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nepal_villan said:

or it could be like the Gerrard/ Emery situation where NS felt he needed to step in given the Castore debacle and seeing that he finally had a strong hand to play based on Villa’s on the field performance and star power (Emery, Martinez, Lehman..)

At this point let's just have NS do everything. 

Physio: Tyrone back on the pitch in days.

Hospitality: Get a beer in seconds in the Holte End.

Stadium Design: We'll have a 27 tier North Stand by summer 2024.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

As others have said, we’re a much more attractive option now. 

So comparing a deal that is made now while we’re looking likely for champions league qualification with a deal we made when we first came up or were “just” midtable also rans is kinda flawed.

It’s like comparing player we bought back then and asking why did we waste our time buying them, we should have just bought the ones we now have.

That being said, this looks like a big win off the pitch after a couple seemingly not so popular moves. So credit where it’s due. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

NSWE knew what they were getting with Heck. They would have done due diligence on him. He has been hired to bludgeon Aston Villa forwards. To piss people off ,  make un popular decisions and to get us working far better commercially off the field. He will be gone in 2 or 3 years once everything is in place i guess. These decisions will not have been made without multiple presentations/ meetings/ meetings about meetings with the Exec board

Absolutely. The idea that Heck is the devil and NSWE must be horrified by what he is doing is ridiculous. They will be consulting with him and understanding his decision making and the details behind it. They knew his approach and hired him. It was Purslow they got rid of, you know-the man behind the redevelopment and the round badge. Maybe the redevelopment plans needed shelving for financial/practical/political reasons, maybe they were convinced by Heck’s commitment to a shield over a round badge for branding and global recognition reasons. 

Heck makes decisions unpopular with the fans but basically he’s reversing the things done by Purslow. I don’t know the reasons behind that but given that Purslow isn’t here anymore, I’m at least going to consider the fact that NSWE are supportive of these decisions. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fruitvilla said:

I sincerely hope this is not true. As a director/owner at Adidas and owner at Aston Villa, he has a conflict of interest here. The decision may well be in the best interests of both companies; but ideally, Sawiris should keep this business deal at a barge pole distance.

In the business world this happens all the time.  I can’t tell you how many commercial deals I’ve been involved in because somebody senior has opened a door.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Wouldn't surprise me if it was Heck that negotiated the Adidas deal, or at least figureheaded it. I'd have though Nassef getting too involved would be seen as a bit of a conflict of interest by some, no?

Yes would be a conflict to a degree. More as it would make people uncomfortable on the Adidas side (ie other shareholders/board). There for sure would be a soft influence, ie Heck would have had an easier time negotiating a deal. For example citing Newcastle's deal, us likely to get CL etc.. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You're becoming to Heck... What you used to defend Purslow against mate 😂

Well no. I'm treating him the same actually. 

Same as I wouldn't accept Purslow take all the shit for 1 (one) decision that people didn't like, which was almost certainly a board decision I'm not accepting of people praising Heck for one thing which probably wasn't his success either. 

I'm happy to criticise the stand situation because that very obviously is his decision because the board were positive about it as recently as 6 months ago.  Yes the board will have backed him but I'm furious at him not telling the full story about why and the amateurish way it was communicated, that can only be on him.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

In the business world this happens all the time.  I can’t tell you how many commercial deals I’ve been involved in because somebody senior has opened a door.

Opened a door, yes, great.

But the hard work is the negotiations, the figures, the fine print, and getting full agreement. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Opened a door, yes, great.

But the hard work is the negotiations, the figures, the fine print, and getting full agreement. 

I agree, I was just pointing that out to the poster.  

That NS may have

* opened the door,

* may have made formal introductions,

* may even discussed at a very strategic level what kind of framework/relationship he envisions between the two parties.

I’ve been a minion in all three types of deals.  It’s very unlikely he would then been involved in any deeper negotiations. He will likely just get updates and final sign off as villa owner.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

And heck would have done the vast majority of that. 

Yeah Heck would lead a team to do the deal…including legal, finance, operations/logistics, marketing/commercial etc

• Like 1

Two black marks for Heck in six months

1. Binning the new round badge on day one 

2. The handling of thr North Stand.

They were glad of my support and to take my money when we were in the Championship. Don't give a damn now that we are back with the big boys

Will take a lot for me to come back onside with him.

Edited by Captain_Townsend

I’m not happy about the badge issue. But I recognise that he play an important role no doubt with this Adidas deal. NWSE know what they are doing. Heck knows his brief. 

• Like 1

I expect that he handled the amicable exit from Castore. 

The way the club was very quiet on the matter, and didn't publicly shame castore, was probably a key factor in us getting a favorable exit from the contract. Break clauses probably did most of the work for him but there's still a role to play to ensure we don't breach our side of the bargain and cost ourselves financially. 

And he almost certainly will have agreed the specific financials with Adidas on the contract with them. Remains to be seen if he did a good job on that front (how much we get and whether we're part of their elite group).

Overall though, I'm still not a fan of his as those things above were largely offered to him on a plate by circumstance. And everything else we've seen that he's done so far I'm not supportive of (North stand, a1500, badge, terrace view).

Let's see what the Adidas money looks like,  and maybe see him fix his errors on the badge, and he'll go a long way to proving he's competent and also willing to recognise a huge mistake when it's made.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 3

With all the bad press Heck has got recently then fair play to him for getting Adidas involved.

Though good....Ill wait to see the new badge on the new kit.....and what the deal is before I pass judgement.

Still has a bit to do for me....but lets see 

• Like 1

Â