Ratings & Reactions: Wolves v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/05/23 at 22:59

Really frustrating.  I drafted then deleted multiple posts critical of other posters.  Paused and realized that ya'll are just frustrated too.   

I thought Diego's only mistake was one foul in the back that wasn't necessary, but it did disrupt play, which was the only thing Wolves did well for 90 minutes... so, not bad

Konsa looked capable and comfortable on the right.

Kamara was mostly off the ball but he got in some minutes and no re-injury.

I love Buendia's constant effort and trying.  HIs quick snap shot forced the best save of the game.  But Unai seems to want more calm and composed than little Emi can manage.

We need another goal scoring threat.  I think someone safer in possession from our right wing would be a good addition.

I wont give up hope of Europe yet, but it is much more of a longshot now than it was when the day started.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Not saying Emery was wrong , what do we know? But would it not have been best to start Kamara, Carlos maybe Coults, an bring them off after we were ahead. I'm convinced that would have been better than Traore and Bailey starting.

Nah mate, I'd rather have the likes of Kamara fit for the final three games, and for the longer term, than to risk injuring them by rushing them back.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

After a calm down.

POSITIVES:

Carlos is back, and still looks a very good ball playing defender. He can certainly pick a pass.

Kamara, Coutinho back and hopefully Cash next, we need them.

If we finish 8th, still been an excellent season based on circumstances.

Positive for me is that to be fair we dominated them and we're a much better team than them

We're just missing thar bit of quality in key positions, kamara back in, 2 x CL quality players in for Buendia and then out on the right and we should be there

• Like 1

On 05/05/2023 at 15:00, SecretVillaScout said:

Said in his conference he wants Champions League Footy for Villa.

Its a long way off, todays rendition, many of them wouldn't make it, playing like that.

Just now, KentVillan said:

Buendia was the only one making anything happen. Not a great performance from him, but best of a bad bunch I thought.

The major issue as someone else said is that right wing slot. Bailey was dreadful.

Well I feel for the right winger as they don't get a lot of support in this system. Bailey's been out for 3 or 4 weeks, to pick on him is unfair. Traore however, was it 4 or 5 crosses with loads of time and overtime every one. Or Buendia not getting his head up enough when under pressure and overplaying as a result. 

We don't possess the technical ability and intelligence to breakdown low blocks. Our best player going g forward today was Ramsey, but he lost his man on the corner and he scored. McGinn lacks technical ability. Bailey goes from the sublime to ridiculously bad. 

4 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Steve Hodge, Bernie Gallagher and Ian Callaghan say hi 

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Nigel 😂

Sorry I am 69 years old so I am not good at replying (Hope this works)

I played for Villa as an apprentice and I have worked as a Manager, Coach and Scout.  So, I am not claiming to be an expert but I do have a history in the game.

Callaghan was very good at Watford.  Bernie Gallagher came through our youth system and was a pretty good youth prospect who did okay but wasn't quite good enough, although He didn't cost £30 million.

Steve Hodge played for England.   At half time people were saying take Bert off.  I agree He isn't good enough but replacing him with Bailey. ?????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

I am not going to be annoyed if we don't get Europe. Emery had a tough job to turn the team around.  He has hauled us up the table.  He has made a great start and soon he will have a full summer to tinker with things.  He'll know what he needs to do.

we was knocked off the ball with such ease today, it was scarey.

sure teams foul us.....but that was a low today.

Its a big job IMO.....not a tweak here and there.

Tbh it's probably a blessing in disguise not getting into Europe, we need a serious summer of upgrading many of these players.

I particularly want to see our midfielder upgraded because Buendia, Ramsey and McGinn are not good enough to have us competing with the very best. I'd even say wolves have a better midfield than us which is not good  Hopefully we have enough to bring in some proper competition for Watkins and Konsa too.

• Like 1

The thing that peed me off the most today, was I suspected that performance....it was kinda predictable after the last 4 games.

Would Newcastle fans, watching that, think it was the same team that beat them 3-0?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Over double the amount of fouls were committed by Wolves.

But that's skewed by possession. If we have the ball for the most of the game, of course they're going to commit a higher total number.

2 minutes ago, Noel said:

Sorry I am 69 years old so I am not good at replying (Hope this works)

I played for Villa as an apprentice and I have worked as a Manager, Coach and Scout.  So, I am not claiming to be an expert but I do have a history in the game.

Callaghan was very good at Watford.  Bernie Gallagher came through our youth system and was a pretty good youth prospect who did okay but wasn't quite good enough, although He didn't cost £30 million.

Steve Hodge played for England.   At half time people were saying take Bert off.  I agree He isn't good enough but replacing him with Bailey. ?????

Agree mostly.

Bernie was a bit of a scapegoat but he had a mare in that cup defeat at Oldham.

Nigel was indeed talented but for some reason decided to waste his career and be a DJ.
I’m sure Hodge was only mentioned because he was such a snake.

• Haha 1

Heard from 3 commentators now that Villa played great football but were unfortunate not to get the goals. Not all doom and gloom, just think most teams have learnt to mark Watkins out the game, so may need to try something different.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TRO said:

we was knocked off the ball with such ease today, it was scarey.

sure teams foul us.....but that was a low today.

Its a big job IMO.....not a tweak here and there.

I don't think the squad needs a MAJOR overhaul.  If we can get 4 quality players to come in to start with current first teamers dropping to bench. If the boss wants to cull the squad, so be it.  Don Unai will know what he needs by now I'd say and I will support whatever he wants to do with the squad. 

6 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Agree mostly.

Bernie was a bit of a scapegoat but he had a mare in that cup defeat at Oldham.

Nigel was indeed talented but for some reason decided to waste his career and be a DJ.
I’m sure Hodge was only mentioned because he was such a snake.

I wasn't judging them as players. Just their time at Villa and they were shite.

Though Bernie deserves a pass I must admit as he tried god bless him but just wasn't very good.

Callaghan for me had a bit of an attitude and just didn't want to be here.

Hodge though. Absolute C unit.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

For whatever reason, folk want to muster, we still struggle under certain game conditions.

Always going to be like that mate, it’s 90% the same players.  

As I said before Gerrard got dumped, we need a good coach to get the best out of these players and then we can see who up to stay for our future and who doesn’t cut the mustard but we couldn’t see that for how poor Gerrard’s coaching was.  

I was delighted we got Emery and he’s got the best out of them during his tenure and now we can see the flaws in the players that Emery can now look to change through transfers in the summer and beyond.  

We always knew there was still issues with this team/squad, we hoped we lucked out until the end of season and got Europe, it didn’t work out.  In some ways this might be a good thing because Emery can see that more work than he thought needs to be done.  

For how well we have done the last 20+ games we have very few elite players which you need to get what we want.  

In Emery we trust to bring those players in. Disappointing tonight but we are know we are in good hands.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

For whatever reason, folk want to muster, we still struggle under certain game conditions.

Always going to be like that mate, it’s 90% the same players.  

As I said before Gerrard got dumped, we need a good coach to get the best out of these players and then we can see who up to stay for our future and who doesn’t cut the mustard but we couldn’t see that for how poor Gerrard’s coaching was.  

I was delighted we got Emery and he’s got the best out of them during his tenure and now we can see the flaws in the players that Emery can now look to change through transfers in the summer and beyond.  

We always knew there was still issues with this team/squad, we hoped we lucked out until the end of season and got Europe, it didn’t work out.  In some ways this might be a good thing because Emery can see that more work than he thought needs to be done.  

For how well we have done the last 20+ games we have very few elite players which you need to get what we want.  

In Emery we trust to bring those players in. Disappointing tonight but we are know we are in good hands.

Â