Ratings & Reactions: Wolves v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/05/23 at 22:59

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Right now, current form .......the issues are more than just wingers.

You are seriously that worried given we've had two bad results after a run of 8 wins and two draws?

Edited by HKP90
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

We've had too many because for half of the season we had a numpty in charge. Even Man City have had games like yesterday.

That maybe so, but when players go to ground with the slightest of contact, the manager has difficuty with that......Man city rarely do that. Man city do not create the same size of gaps as we do between best and worst performances.

Our team, don't like traffic, they can play to their hearts content, when no one is near them.......get close, and they struggle......Hence the disparity in some performances.

The failure to stay with the ball and execute a measured pass is an issue, when an opposing team shows physicality, we struggle to resist it.......The failure to connect with long balls, particularly from the goal keeper is an issue...we appear puny at times.

We also have more of an issue stopping opponents than they have stopping us, lately.

Despite having a great turn around, there are issues, stopping us being a really convincing team.....Us Villa Fans are in clover, with what this manager has achieved.....the rest of the country is not so convinced, and I  can see why, after games like yesterday

The Newcastle game is not our benchmark, if it was, I wouldn't be saying what I am......just one example.....I haven't seen the same aggression from John McGinn, to what he applied on Dan Burn, since then......Many of our players are inconsistent and when too many are having not so good days, the team dips.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

That maybe so, but when players go to ground with the slightest of contact, the manager has difficuty with that......Man city rarely do that.

Our team, don't like traffic, they can play to their hearts content, when no one is near them.......get close, and they struggle......Hence the disparity in some performances.

The failure to stay with the ball and execute a measured pass is an issue.......The failure to connect with long balls, particularly from the goal keeper is an issue.

We also have more have an issue stopping opponents than they have stopping us.

Despite having a great turn around, there are issues, stopping us being a really convincing team.....Us Villa Fans are in clover, with what this manager has achieved.....the rest of the country is not so convinced, and I a can see why.

The Newcastle game is not our benchmark, if it was, I wouldn't be saying what I am......just one example.....I haven't seen the same aggression from John McGinn, to what he applied on Dan Burn, since then......Many of our players are inconsistent and when too many are having not so good days, the team dips.

That's every team, we are just closer to the deficiencies of our team than others. If it wasn't the best team would always win 100% of their games. 

I'm not saying we don't need investment. We certainly need a bigger squad, but I think Emery has also proved that we aren't as far from being a good team as we all perhaps thought earlier in the season. I'm certainly not panicking after 2x 1-0 defeats deny us a shot at Europe which at the point Unai took over was verging on unthinkable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HKP90 said:

You are seriously that worried given we've had two bad results after a run of 8 wins and two draws?

I have seen things, that are concerning, even when we have taken points.....I was concerned with the Brighton ( meant Brentford) performance, I wasn't convinced with the performance against Fulham.....and I thought against United, we showed our inability to shut them down., when in contrast they shut us down fairly comfortably.

We have done great, in the run under UE, and many things have improved, but many things are still there ,too....only to be more highlighted in our recent games.

I see things in our play, I want to improve.....I am hoping in the Summer we do, because previous managers have failed to address  those issues.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

That's every team, we are just closer to the deficiencies of our team than others. If it wasn't the best team would always win 100% of their games. 

I'm not saying we don't need investment. We certainly need a bigger squad, but I think Emery has also proved that we aren't as far from being a good team as we all perhaps thought earlier in the season. I'm certainly not panicking after 2x 1-0 defeats deny us a shot at Europe which at the point Unai took over was verging on unthinkable.

2 x 1-0 defeats away from home, is not the issue, its the manner of them........The things going on during the said games with individuals is and issue....particularly when they have been on display in other games too.

Knew we’d get beat . I never like losing to wolves because they are with Villa the most popular team where I live . Need to look at the bigger picture though , we should push on now and they had their chance and blew it and we know what that feels like. We have a genuine world class manager so can only see us progressing.  The Europe push isn’t quite over but unlikely . Next season from the start that will be the aim and depending what players we bring in who knows what we can achieve. With the owners and Emery champions league football is not out of the question over the next few years.

• Like 1

John McGinn and Douglas Luiz are not the answer in the double pivot.....They are both more effective further forward.

How many times have we seen this in the past, and we are still defaulting back to it....I accept its in times of need, but we need more defensive nous, in those roles.

We have a lot of work to do imo.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

…and Watkins bullet header going anywhere other than straight at the keeper. And a possible penalty on another day.

Again we had 60+% possession and double the shots/on target tally. Not seen xG but can imagine it backing this up. With more luck this would be at least 2-1.

1.57 - 0.64 in our favour

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this season would have been a year too soon for Villa into Europe. There is still a lot of work to be done cleaning house concerning the present squad which if being very honest, still isn’t good enough or strong enough for a European berth.

I suspect this will be a defining summer for Emery who will be backed to restructure the squad and probably the next two windows beyond that. No need to repeat who I think will be sold as I’ve already stated that many times on here but I’m excited to see the turnover in players as it’s badly needed if Villa are to move forward.

Concerning yesterday’s game it was a very disappointing result against a team that conceded six in their previous match.

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I have seen things, that are concerning, even when we have taken points.....I was concerned with the Brighton performance, I wasn't convinced with the performance against Fulham.....and I thought against United, we showd our inability to shut them down., when in contrast they shut us down fairly comfortably.

We have done great, in the run under UE, and many things have improved, but many things are still there ,too....only to be more highlighted in our recent games.

I see things in our play, I want to improve.....I am hoping in the Summer we do, because previous managers have failed to address  those issues.

Now we are playing the better sides in the division the team's shortcomings are a lot clearer. Regardless of whether we qualify for Europe or not, this run of games will give emery all the information he needs to help him focus summer transfer activity and be better for it next season. 

• Like 2

Yesterday showed why scoring first is so important and why we shoot towards the Holte in the first half of games under Emery. Our general play was ok but Wolves were able to toe the ball away at key moments due to the volume of defenders they had. Credit to them for their defending. Our play in the final third is better than six months ago but still needs development/more firepower/more physicality.

Bert has a good highlight reel from his time at the club, but Bailey is a better player. Both are probably on borrowed time with us though.

Great to see Diego Carlos and Kamara back, and I will admit I was wrong about Mings. Thought he would be replaced in the summer by someone more comfortable on the ball but he has shown enough improvement in this area.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Those touching on top 4 and champions league, during the winning run.

I think whilst that was at the upper end of what we may achieve it was optimistic to say the least. Certainly a case of all the ducks lining up and would need a pretty big slice of luck too.  

Never the less even if it did happen, I don’t think anyone believed we didn’t still have plenty of room for improvement. The good and genuinely exciting news is that our present set up, we are geared up to make the next step forward, no matter how big a step that may be.  

The future is as bright as I’ve ever seen it and I’d imagine you’d pretty much agree. 😀 UTV!

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

13/38 is one third, not one half.

That entirely changes the point I was making. Like radically. Thanks man.

4 hours ago, HKP90 said:

depends how far teams dip....yes we are closer to our teams deficiencies, so we see the warts 'n all.....but that doesn't excuse things.

as just one example, if players are constantly being shoved off the ball, then you have to question their physicality or their ability to stay on it.

I watched Mo Salah, yesterday, make a real fist of staying on the ball, sure their is no comparison, in talent......but he is only a dot, but he puts up a fight to stay on it, JJ just goes to ground at the slightest challenge.....that has to stop.

Emery has proved a lot, and so has the players.....against Newcastle they were showing the willingness to compete, so we know they can do it.....yesterday, they was second to the ball in a challenge, too many times, I won't mention aerial balls, where we are out fought too easily....Why didn't JJ try to disrupt TOTI, instead of a half hearted attempt.....there just lacks aggression in certain games, and yesterday was one of them.

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think whilst that was at the upper end of what we may achieve it was optimistic to say the least. Certainly a case of all the ducks lining up and would need a pretty big slice of luck too.  

Never the less even if it did happen, I don’t think anyone believed we didn’t still have plenty of room for improvement. The good and genuinely exciting news is that our present set up, we are geared up to make the next step forward, no matter how big a step that may be.  

The future is as bright as I’ve ever seen it and I’d imagine you’d pretty much agree. 😀 UTV!

I too am optimistic for the future, but I say again, that needs to be signing the right players.

I will wait, with eager anticipation.

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Agreed we were never ready for actual European football, an to be honest I wasn't to bothered. Always wanted to get into that European conference league though. West Ham are pissing it, and their rubbish. 

I think the first 11 games was too much to catch up.....We are a good team, in many ways, but we still have weaknesses, than can be exploited.

It was always a big ask, to get in to Europe, with the competition, we are up against.....Lets hope next season we can get off to a quick start.

It will be crucial to get the right players in, and that does not necessarily mean huge sums....it means, the right players, who can give the team something, it hasn't got.

38 games and 2 domestic cups is an arduous task.....we need strong players, as well as talented ones....power, pace and physicality is key.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

2 x 1-0 defeats away from home, is not the issue, its the manner of them........The things going on during the said games with individuals is and issue....particularly when they have been on display in other games too.

We dominated the last 30 minutes against man yoo and we dominated most of the game yesterday. Opposition teams are going to have moments too. Man Yoo have spent nearly a billion. Wolves have a very good manager and players too. 

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

That entirely changes the point I was making. Like radically. Thanks man.

I actually think it does. You have fewer options to exempt Emery from responsibility for our poor performances as you appeared to be trying to do.

20 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

We dominated the last 30 minutes against man yoo and we dominated most of the game yesterday. Opposition teams are going to have moments too. Man Yoo have spent nearly a billion. Wolves have a very good manager and players too. 

shame we couldn't dominate the cross that Toti managed to get on to.

We had more possession, which Wolves was happy to give us, they just defended the last third.....We didn't dominate the game, as you suggest.....dominating the game for me, is dominating the ball, in duels and we didn't.

Wolves, were just out muscling us , when there was a need to......Ollie was once again, unable to to find space, in the main, and when he did, he muffed things.

I didn't see from us any kind of mentality, that suggested it was a derby.....we was slow in the build up much of the time, I thought it was a testimonial.

Edited by TRO

Â