"The Terrace View" - Upper Holte Lounge

OutByEaster?

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

A few years ago a mate of mine got given corporate tickets for a match for him and some mates. He gratefully accepted them and we all went along and gave our Holte End season tickets to some other mates. it was a night game against Sunderland who were in a relegation battle with us. Di Canio had gobbed off some rubbish about Villa park being easy to come to, so that added further spice to the occasion. Theytook the lead but we stuffed them 6-1. It was a good match and we enjoyed the grub but I really wanted to be on the Holte as did the other lads who’d come to be “Spoiled too!”

I never did get gentrified as my wife would confirm. “Beer swilling, Villa obsessed, workaholic, Brummy Chancer, as she called me soon after we met! The nicest thing anyone has ever called me. She still married me though and that was almost 11 years ago! A miracle in itself! 

25 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

A few years ago a mate of mine got given corporate tickets for a match for him and some mates. He gratefully accepted them and we all went along and gave our Holte End season tickets to some other mates. it was a night game against Sunderland who were in a relegation battle with us. Di Canio had gobbed off some rubbish about Villa park being easy to come to, so that added further spice to the occasion. Theytook the lead but we stuffed them 6-1. It was a good match and we enjoyed the grub but I really wanted to be on the Holte as did the other lads who’d come to be “Spoiled too!”

Don't want to make it worse for you I was in the upper Holte that night...it was mental ! 😊 I managed to get a ticket for my wife, it was her first time ever at the Villa and on the Holte....afterwards i told her it's never normal to beat a team 6 - 1. 

She's not been since !

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Pedant alert.  They didn’t take the lead.  They levelled to make it 1-1.

21 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Pedant alert.  They didn’t take the lead.  They levelled to make it 1-1.

Memories may differ as the princess of Wales might say! I remember it being a great night however the scoring went. UTV!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

The idiots making the derogatory chants and snide comments probably don’t even realise that their season tickets are in part subsidised by the TV. 

I don't agree with the derogatory chants, but TV hasn't part subsidised any season ticket holders tickets.

Season ticket holders in my opinion are paying more than they should be for tickets in the Holte End. We've had a 15% price rise, whilst losing services and space that was part of the original deal of being a season ticket holder.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I don't agree with the derogatory chants, but TV hasn't part subsidised any season ticket holders tickets.

Season ticket holders in my opinion are paying more than they should be for tickets in the Holte End. We've had a 15% price rise, whilst losing services and space that was part of the original deal of being a season ticket holder.

And without TV and other hospitality you’d be ultimately paying more.

Was watching a mediocre team part of the original deal of being a season ticket holder pre price rises in recent years?

7 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

And without TV and other hospitality you’d be ultimately paying more.

That just isn't true - in fact, on the cost of constructing the TV this season, it's more likely that season ticket holders are subsidising TV members.

Not that any of it is massive in the big picture of how football clubs work - BK8 are paying more than all of us and getting a new training kit sponsor would make more money than the Terrace View - plus all of that is dwarfed by the broadcast money we get - we make around ten times the amount from broadcast as we do from season tickets in total.

On 21/08/2023 at 12:39, DaveAV1 said:

I couldn’t agree more especially on your pointy about gentrification. Wrong place for it completely and smacks at a club that doesn’t really understand its self particularly its own fans. If the sim is to make money out of customers then whilist thst is understandable and necessary we need to find a way of remaining connected to our true and most important fans. As a former Holte Ender until I moved with my family too far away to attend many games I’m saddened by what is happening to the upper Holte. Stupid idea from conception particularly regarding location. Trying to bill it as experience as if it was still the halcyon days of the 70/80s is so out of touch and ridiculous, I’d expect it to be something you may find in Manchester or London but never at Villa Park. Whoever came up with the idea should be sacked if they are still at the club!? They clearly have no idea what the true Holte End experience is or ever was. They certainly weren’t there when the division fence was ripped out of the ground all those years ago!  You’ll never take The Holte End. This is cultural vandalism by stealth!!

Only Holte End fans are "true fans" and "most important"? Gotcha.

On 21/08/2023 at 12:54, AvfcRigo82 said:

I highly doubt they are.

I wonder what other catastrophes await to be discovered around Villa Park now that they are no longer with us.

It was also interesting to read a comment from another poster back in the thread that there was issues in the Trinity and getting drinks and service at HT was shockingly poor service. This was like that in 2010 when I last sat in the Trinity. Alarming to learn that the same shit is still going on 13 years later!

I had a season ticket in the trinity for over 10 years. Still go to the odd game there and was there Saturday. Nothing has changed. 

It's an absolute ball ache to get anything and the stuff on offer is pretty awful. 

I know it can't be the same but when you go to some U.S stadiums it's unreal how different it is. I went to the the Colorado baseball stadium last summer and the amount of options and ease to get food and drink was mind blowing. Like I said, it can't be that level but there's got to be an in-between. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

We need a new acronym for Terrace View that isn't TV as I assume everyone is bitching about Sky or broadcasters.

I propose one of:

• HETV (Holte End Terrace View)
  • TTV (The Terrace View)
  • TVH (Terrace View Hospitality)

Thanks in advance

I think given some of the comments on this thread it should be TGS ( The Gentrification Section) 🙂 

On 21/08/2023 at 15:29, Wainy316 said:

It doesn't have any of the other nice shiny things but waiting ages for a beer is all but eliminated in the Lower Holte now with the tap and pay bar.

I'm totally mystified why they haven't put this in the upper Holte yet with the reduced capacity they've created. 

The self serve food tunnel is fast as **** too. 

Edited by sidcow

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

We need a new acronym for Terrace View that isn't TV as I assume everyone is bitching about Sky or broadcasters.

I propose one of:

• HETV (Holte End Terrace View)
  • TTV (The Terrace View)
  • TVH (Terrace View Hospitality)

Thanks in advance

How about PSBTV. 

My seat is right in front of Terrace View. 

I had a good look and can confirm absolutely that all I could view was a sea of seats and no Terracing anywhere so it's a stupid **** name anyway. 

• Like 1

While Villa looked slick on the pitch, off it, Villa supporters witnessed the surreal spectacle of velvet ropes, concierge staff and laminates in the Holte End on the first game back at Villa Park. For some, this ‘Terrace View’ hospitality offering was an unsavoury sight.

In football, it's long been tradition in football that the main "kop" end behind the goal drives the atmosphere and is the stand that guards the working-class soul of the game, as hospitality and upselling gradually infiltrate other areas. The Holte End once stood proudly as Europe's biggest single stand "kop" end and a cornerstone of Villa Park's identity and the club itself.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa

• Like 3

It's really quite sad. They just got it so so wrong.

They can't exactly get rid of it now. They could just open it up as a free access area, but there not making money off that.

Upgrade the rest of the upper holte to be self-serve auto in out and they make some of the money back in speed of service and selling more. But then TTV area becomes even less appealing.  I just don't know what they're thinking. 

It's from MOMS posted on BBC.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with this take tbh. It's hospitality, yes, but not in the usual sense of the word, removing the ability for fans to create an atmosphere in the way they have made it seem.

• It's open as a bolt on to current fans for a better experience,
  • it's open to the very large waiting list for people who have wanted Season tickets for years
  • And they sit within the Holte, they've not put boxes in and reduced capacity to accomodate (I think?)

So I don't think its fair to blame HETV for atmosphere at VP and I don't think it's fair to compare it to normal Hospitality at other grounds as though in and of itself it's a terrible idea. As though tampering with the Holte End in anyway is blasphemy

I do think it's fair to question the reduction in amenities to the rest of the Holte, the poor state it was left in (particularly with the cost increases), and I do think it's fair to question why for 30% cost increases that normal Holte Enders received no uplifts to their service as seen in other areas of the stadium (self serve drinks etc)

Also the poor communication. 

But I don't think it's right to make a song and dance out of the idea of Terrace View, just the execution of it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

It's really quite sad. They just got it so so wrong.

They can't exactly get rid of it now. They could just open it up as a free access area, but there not making money off that.

Upgrade the rest of the upper holte to be self-serve auto in out and they make some of the money back in speed of service and selling more. But then TTV area becomes even less appealing.  I just don't know what they're thinking. 

They are thinking.. Money. And judging by the small number of empty seats in the holte, I'm guessing the sold it out. 

This won't be reversed, I wouldn't be surprised see it expanded as it becomes more normal and people a bit more jealous of the facilities. 

Â