"The Terrace View" - Upper Holte Lounge

OutByEaster?

A question for people who are annoyed or angered by the introduction of The Terrace View - what have you lost by it being added?

It's a genuine question. A lot of fans are really pissed off about this facility and the people using it, but what about your matchday experience has got worse as a result?

22 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

A question for people who are annoyed or angered by the introduction of The Terrace View - what have you lost by it being added?

It's a genuine question. A lot of fans are really pissed off about this facility and the people using it, but what about your matchday experience has got worse as a result?

Exactly my thoughts. Alot of moaning about it. You dont have to use ut if you dont want to.

16 minutes ago, Nath182 said:

I'm not exactly angered by it but the loss of toilet and bar facilities is definitely having an impact on the rest of the ground. The queues for both were noticeably longer at the Everton game. 

I was at wembley on saturday night and it was the same there. Massive queues for food drinks etc.

When you have capacity stadiums your gonna have to expect waiting. I usually get there earlier or eat outside the ground 1st.

I do think though if they let people bring their own canned drinks that would help bug obviously they wont as they will lose income

28 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

The problem is that once this starts it doesn't stop, wait until 10% of the Holte is locked off for Terrace view fans only.

Cheaper areas of the ground create a better atmosphere, that's always been the case, turn the Holte into a VIP section is going to kill the atmosphere.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Exactly my thoughts. Alot of moaning about it. You dont have to use ut if you dont want to.

@NurembergVillanpost definitely reads as genuine question asking about the actual impact of the lounge. It wasn't a statement that nothing or very little has changed for Upper HolteEnders who don't want to pay for or can't afford the lounge expense.

When you write 'exactly my thoughts', are you agreeing with @NurembergVillanquestion?

9 minutes ago, brommy said:

@NurembergVillanpost definitely reads as genuine question asking about the actual impact of the lounge. It wasn't a statement that nothing or very little has changed for Upper HolteEnders who don't want to pay for or can't afford the lounge expense.

When you write 'exactly my thoughts', are you agreeing with @NurembergVillanquestion?

My thoughts shared on the question 

My 2nd part of the post was my opinion.  I do hope that clears that up for you

Edited by Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I guess from the things that have been reported and gathered in the fans group, there are three main ones, two permanent and one (hopefully) temporary.

1. The effect on Holte End ticketing - I'm convinced Purslow thought existing Holte End season ticket holders would fall over themselves trying to get in here and that they'd take seven or eight hundred of the tickets, leaving the rest for single day people - I'd heard that at the point the sales window should have shut, they'd taken 67. That means they've had to find space in an already pretty crowded Upper Holte End for 900 new people - as a result, it's become very, very difficult for members to buy tickets in the Upper Holte - it's pretty much out of bounds. A lot of those members spent a lot of games up there last season with friends - now they can't - because of the Terrace View.

2. The effect on the remainder of the Upper Holte - the club surveyed about 5,000 people up there, promised to make the facilities better, and then they did - for maybe 100 of those people. For the rest, the facilities are worse. There was an expectation that the remaining facilities would be upgraded to the same level as the Lower Holte, so that even though there's less space now, the service would be quicker and the impact would be reduced - that hasn't happened - in fact, nothing has - for 85% of Upper Holte Enders, the promise to improve facilities was a lie.

3.The club have been desperately trying to get this facility finished in time for the opening day - all summer it has been the absolute focus. They did that, just, but as a result loads of other areas have suffered - fix the toilets? No, get TV finished. Improve the kiosks? No, get TV finished. Clean seats, sweep out concourses?...well you get the picture. The damage that the construction did that caused the closure of the Holte Suite was probably the biggest example - although the club are now (apparently) taking the opportunity to put a bit of a revamp in there. Everything this summer at Villa Park took second place to the Terrace View and we're left with a lovely area in the middle of a real mess - 85% of Upper Holte Enders will only experience the real mess.

Beyond that there are the concerns about gentrification, away tickets, the deal that's been sold to TV members and how that affects them and the unpleasant atmosphere that's created when fans who can't get a drink bump against those who can - but I think those are the there main complaints I've seen.

I'd like this post to be put forward at the next fans advisory board meeting and ask 'how does the club plan to rectify these issues created by the Terrace View Lounge and how will it compensate the vast majority of Upper Holte fans for their loss of space and facilities, despite paying significantly more money?'.

• Like 3

It’s also reduced the number of seats in the lower Holte, meaning harder to get tickets for games. It was a really dumb idea and should never have been given the go ahead.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

space. we've lost a LOT of concourse space.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

My thoughts shared on the question 

My 2nd part of the post was my opinion.  I do hope that clears that up for you

'My thoughts exactly' implied an agreement to a statement, not - here are my thoughts on the question, but that's not important so I'll happily move on.

Regarding your opinion - 'You don't have to use it if you don't want to', is an obvious truth, I hope my subsequent posts detailing the loss of space and facilities for a significant increase in cost, will help your consideration of how the Terrace View Lounge had affected the vast majority of Upper Holte fans.

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

It’s also reduced the number of seats in the lower Holte, meaning harder to get tickets for games. It was a really dumb idea and should never have been given the go ahead.

In fairness, isn't this down to creating an increase of match viewing for disabled fans, that I think was required to meet legislation?

• Thanks 1

Just now, brommy said:

'My thoughts exactly' implied an agreement to a statement, not - here are my thoughts on the question, but that's not important so I'll happily move on.

Regarding your opinion - 'You don't have to use it if you don't want to', is an obvious truth, I hope my subsequent posts detailing the loss of space and facilities for a significant increase in cost, will help your consideration of how the Terrace View Lounge had affected the vast majority of Upper Holte fans.

Fair enough.

I havent used the service yet brommy so i cant comment on how good or bad it is. Ill probably try it once just to experience it but it has little impact on what ill do when visiting villa park. I wont hate on those who want to do it or the club for trying to generate more income.

With regards to the space issue you wont have to worry about that soon with the expansion of the stadium. Maybe a change of seat perhaps if its causing you a lot of distress?

We as fans want to be competing with the top clubs unfortunately that comes at a cost. The club is trying to make money. Investing the expansion of the stadium, investing in excellent quality players like diaby we have to expect the clubs arr goinv to be looking at ways of generating more revenue and this is one of them. 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

With regards to the space issue you wont have to worry about that soon with the expansion of the stadium.

How does rebuilding the North Stand create more space in the upper Holte concourse Dem? - The point being space that was there has been cordoned off for TV people.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Fair enough.

I havent used the service yet brommy so i cant comment on how good or bad it is. Ill probably try it once just to experience it but it has little impact on what ill do when visiting villa park. I wont hate on those who want to do it or the club for trying to generate more income.

With regards to the space issue you wont have to worry about that soon with the expansion of the stadium. Maybe a change of seat perhaps if its causing you a lot of distress?

We as fans want to be competing with the top clubs unfortunately that comes at a cost. The club is trying to make money. Investing the expansion of the stadium, investing in excellent quality players like diaby we have to expect the clubs arr goinv to be looking at ways of generating more revenue and this is one of them. 

Definitely no hate from me as that's not the type of person I am, well maybe at a nonphysical level towards Trump and Rees-Mogg.😆 Despite a couple of media mentions, I did not witness any animosity towards VTL fans during the Everton game, although in fairness, I sit in row 12, fairly central and surrounded by, mostly very long term, season ticket holders (as discussed - the vast majority of which did not take the VTL expense on), so I was distant from the seating areas where most of the 'new' VTL fans were likely situated.

I did take a 5 second peak through a door briefly held open by security staff upon my exiting of the Everton game. The lounge looked decent and much cleaner than the reduced concourse area was. Hopefully that will be rectified before the Hibs game.

After sitting in the exact same seats with my family and friends group since the Upper Holte opened in December 1994, I can confirm I won't be taking your suggestion of a change of seat.

The term 'distress' you used is far too strong a word. 'Annoyed' at paying more money for the loss of space, toilet, drink and food facilities to create what many fans see as an overpriced, undersubscribed and thus oversized lounge, might be a better description and understandable to most.

Football finances show that whilst not insignificant, income generated from ticket sales and hospitality is dwarfed by other income streams, primarily television rights. In my opinion, any increase in revenue from the Holte Upper should have been created from the lounge (leading to an inevitable loss of space and facilities for the majority) OR an increase in season ticket and match ticket prices. Instead we've been hit with both significant price increases AND a significant decrease in space and facilities. I suppose a smaller lounge (half the size and half the loss in space/facilities) and smaller rise (say 5% instead of 16% for STs and even higher for match day tickets) would have been more palatable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, brommy said:

I'd like this post to be put forward at the next fans advisory board meeting and ask 'how does the club plan to rectify these issues created by the Terrace View Lounge and how will it compensate the vast majority of Upper Holte fans for their loss of space and facilities, despite paying significantly more money?'.

Well obe is our rep so I’m sure he will if he can 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Has it? I thought it was all upper, arent the lost seats in lower due to more disabled seats?

Â