Midweek Football 24/27 April

andykeenan

I’m more convinced than ever that there’s absolutely no scientific approach to drawing the offside lines for VAR and that they’re literally just using MS paint to draw a line across the screen where they think (assume/hope/desire) the line to be.

Theres no way that Stones goal can be onside.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’m more convinced than ever that there’s absolutely no scientific approach to drawing the offside lines for VAR and that they’re literally just using MS paint to draw a line across the screen where they think (assume/hope/desire) the line to be.

Yes even if that's correct, do you really think that influenced the result. Man City were by far the better side and deserved to win. 

has Arteta said anything about the Stones goal?

that was 100% offisde you can see it in the first freeze frame, then they draw the lines at a different timeframe or something!?!?

Just now, PaulC said:

Yes even if that's correct, do you really think that influenced the result. Man City were by far the better side and deserved to win. 

it dosnt matter, VAR should get that correct, it may have impacted a game where it would matter, this shit happens weekly.

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

it dosnt matter, VAR should get that correct, it may have impacted a game where it would matter, this shit happens weekly.

Var refs get it wrong sometimes but seen more dodgy decisions in the Championship without it 

1 hour ago, Newry_Villan said:

Dermot Gallaghers defence of the handball not given should be interesting on Ref Watch

He just gives shite reasons to justify why instead of highlighting the fact the same handball is given dependent on whose playing.

Same with all ex refs on TV they need a rogue one like Roy Keane that says it's a shit sandwich when it is one.

1 hour ago, Newry_Villan said:

Dermot Gallaghers defence of the handball not given should be interesting on Ref Watch

He'll defend it one minute and then if there's a retrospective apology (doubt it in this case) he'll explain why the decision was wrong but you can sympathise with the ref.

12 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Nah. During the live play, the camera showing the action was on the half way line and it looked fine. Then when they showed the replays it was from a camera level with the corner flag and it looked offside. The lines were drawn from in line with the last defender (as they should be). It’s just an optical perspective thing. It was a fair goal.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, blandy said:

Nah. During the live play, the camera showing the action was on the half way line and it looked fine. Then when they showed the replays it was from a camera level with the corner flag and it looked offside. The lines were drawn from in line with the last defender (as they should be). It’s just an optical perspective thing. It was a fair goal.

But that's the thing isn't it remember that Japan goal against Germany in The World Cup.

Looked miles out but a little of the ball was on the line apparently.

Some guy did a video with a tennis ball showing you different angles and so on to prove it was in.

Now take offside for instance the camera angle is important and the time they hit pause on contact with the ball with the player passing is important.

They can show you any old still but there are milliseconds that make a difference when it's a tight offside to suit whoever pays the most cash.

The lino back in the day used to use the daylight rule so why not now?

They keep saying to correct clear and obvious error but with offside and handball they change the outcome to suit.

Its all a bag of bollocks really.  Our games against Utd Spurs and Liverpool let's see who gets the tight decisions.

Just now, S-Platt said:

They can show you any old still but there are milliseconds that make a difference when it's a tight offside to suit whoever pays the most cash.

The lino back in the day used to use the daylight rule so why not now?

I accept the millisecond part and would say if it’s that tight then the lines need to be thick enough that they can shift one camera frame forwards and backwards and kind of it have to clear in all 3 frames that the player is offside. I believe that’s why they made the lines thicker.

I also agree about the digital equivalent of the “daylight” thing, which is the same point basically- at 50 fps one frame is 20ms and there’s no way a VAR can get the moment the ball leaves the passers foot down to that level of discrimination. So going back to the Stones goal last night, giving the goal was quite right because he wasn’t clearly offside, not even if you take it down to centimetres and the tip of a toe or shoulder.  It’ll never be perfect, but the offside part of VAR at least seems to be working pretty well, save for the odd sleeping VAR. Fortunately it didn’t wrongly affect last night’s result at the Etihad.

So, I'd like Utd 2-0 up at half time, a controversial third in the second half that riles an already frustrated Spurs up - Romero booked for injuring Shaw, then a brawl with sendings off for Anthony and Romero - followed by a scrap at the final whistle that sees a three match ban for Casemiro.

Anything short of that and I'm drinking.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So, I'd like Utd 2-0 up at half time, a controversial third in the second half that riles an already frustrated Spurs up - Romero booked for injuring Shaw, then a brawl with sendings off for Anthony and Romero - followed by a scrap at the final whistle that sees a three match ban for Casemiro.

Anything short of that and I'm drinking.

Just before you pop the cork, how would you keep penalty cheat mega-whinger Fernandes from playing on Sunday?

Just now, Django_Zooms said:

Just before you pop the cork, how would you keep penalty cheat mega-whinger Fernandes from playing on Sunday?

He gets injured. 

Â