Pre-Match Thread Cup Final 3 of 10

TheAuthority

We will play out from the back and try and draw you out. We have not really   converted from the good positions we are getting in once we get behind the oppositions midfield using this tactic. Sooner or later it will click and we will score a hat full....

Can't see how Pope is better than Martinez in anyone but a Newcastle fans eyes. Watkins and Wilson, Wilson has played half the amount time, due to injury? Watkins has far more to his game than scoring goals, hopefully you will see it Saturday. Watkins all day long for me, even Southgate  agrees 😆

12 hours ago, MaVilla said:

whilst i see you point (re your dismissive comment), if i had to find some issues with us (and im not really looking for them - im very happy with Emery, but just for a discussion point)......

over Emery's time at the club (and probably/certainly before), we have conceded quite a few clear cut/gilt edge chances to the opposition teams, most of them for whatever reason werent converted since Emery has been here, which is great for us, but if you did a short video of the clear cut chances we have given to teams, it might be a bit more of a shock than expected, as its a lot, i have thought this myself recently, but as of now it is what it is, we are performing well and getting the rub of the green right now, so im not going to complain.

I do think we will see defensive upgrades in the summer, coupled with Carlos coming back when fit, but anyways, my point is, we do need to improve the defensive line, and i can see it happening in the summer for sure.

So while i agree with the scoff at people trying to "do us down", i also kind of accept that we have been very, very lucky with some of the glaring chances we have given away at times.

I agree.

Saturday will be a stern test and in an analytical view, one worth watching and digesting.

We are still only work in progress, we mustn't forget that.....despite our recent good form, some players are still being carried....against the best teams, this is not sustainable.

I am a fan who wants wins first, and spectacle second, in that order, but we have to improve performances to become more convincing.

On Saturday the test will be to stay on and with the ball, against teams like Newcastle, we are likely to lose possession, very easily, if we pass that test, we have a chance....to compound that, we are not blessed with ball winners in the squad to compensate, so we could be without the ball too much.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Not in the slightest, just like them proudly bragging that it's been over a decade since we last beat them. Aye, there's a reason for that 'marra', we've not met you in the league for 8 seasons :lol: 

Our fans don't poo on their seats, or in London fountains, we didn't need a public vote to source a nickname for the team, we didn't pinch the name of our stadium from Benfica. We're bigger, better, and much much sexier ;) .

I dunno which of the West Midland clubs are your sunderland equivalent. They're the ones who'd think their season a success regardless of where they end up, as long as they beat you. They'll be the ones who're saying that Emery is a fraud, that your best players will leave in the summer, that you're one bad season away from financial rack and ruin... despite the opposite being patently obvious. They're the oddest of the odd.

giphy.gif

Going to be a tough test but going by Newcastle fans on their forum and twitter, they are expecting an easy 3 points, I'm not sure Emery will see it that way.

They seem to be basing this on the fact the teams we have beaten are all in the bottom half.  Looking at their last 5 games Wolves, Forest, West Ham (all in the bottom half also), and their other two were wins against Man U and Brentford (who we also have beaten).

I'm hoping they underestimate us, and Emery gives Howe a footballing lesson.

Edited by duke313

Emery's obviously doing a great job at Villa, as you'd expect really. Big test for Villa, difficult match for Newcastle. I'd take a draw, a win for either side wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

World's best goalkeeper in not good enough for Newcastle SHOCKER!

Click HERE to find out why!

It turns out they know nothing about football then...not that I didn't already have that opinion about them.

2 hours ago, TheFish said:

We're bigger, better, and much much sexier ;) .

This would be the last thing that springs to my mind. That is pure subjectivity..

Now, if you'd founded the Football League or perhaps won a European Cup the conversation might be different. 😜

42 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, no, Wilson isn’t pound for pound the better player. I don’t even need to look at whatever site you’re pointing to to know that to be honest. Watkins is a far more complete player. It’s fine just looking at goals (a lot of our fans did before his current purple patch, and called him poor because of it) but his all-round game is very good. Wilson is “just” a finisher. Doesn’t want to link play, doesn’t want to work back - just get on the end of stuff. That’s fine, it’s often what’s needed and presumably works well for Newcastle, but he’s just not the better player. At all.

Amazed you’ve even mentioned Longstaff so presume you’re going for a bit of trolling :D. He’s so out of place in your midfield it’s unreal. Won’t be anywhere near your first team next season. 

Yeah I don't watch Watkins as much as you, and I guessed I'd be biased so I looked at the objective stats on that website. Wilson isn't 'just' a finisher, he does link play, he does track back, maybe not as much as Watkins, but he's not lazy in that regard. Plus Wilson is my wife's favourite so, I'd rather have Wilson, thanks very much.

Longstaff is actually doing well, but no he's not going to be in the NUFC squad much longer.

3 hours ago, TheFish said:

Pope

Trippier Schar Botman Moreno

Luiz Bruno Joelinton

Isak Wilson ASM

That might seem harsh or unbelievably biased, but that's honestly where I'm at.

Pope has more clean sheets, better save %, more sweeping actions etc. 

Schar has improved hugely under Howe. He's calm under pressure, good tenchnique, threat from set pieces, not just aerially, but he's got a good shot on him too, plus he has a wonderful range of passing. Every time I've seen Mings he looks like he's got a big mistake in him, like Lascelles does. 

Moreno beats our leftbacks because Targett hasn't been fit and Burn isn't a left back.

Coin toss between Kamara and Luiz, for me. They're both better than Longstaff/Willock, but neither are good enough to oust Bruno or Joelinton.

Front three speaks for itself. Watkins is in good form, but I'd have any of our lot over him. 

Rightly Newcastle should have more players in the combined 11 than us but I'd still have Watkins over Wilson although I've always been a fan of Wilson .

Also Martinez is now one of the world best keepers and Pope is not first choice for England so martinez is a certainty 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Frodo said:

Boatman

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952496ce1729ec88b5ae

45 minutes ago, wedge said:

Just seen on Twitter they haven't even sold out their 2,900 allocation for Saturday yet...very surprising!

Nightmare trip for an early KO. I expect better from 52k at home FC though.

Joint team:

Martinez

Trippier  Konsa  Botman  Moreno

Kamara      Luiz

McGinn              Guimaraes

Watkins   Isak