How would European football affect Villa supporters?

Marka Ragnos

Would love to watch Villa play abroad. Wonder how easy it would be to get away tickets? I guess could just sit with home fans worst case. Great excuse for a trip!

I get excited just thinking about it. Last time we were in Europe I was way too young to be able to afford to go. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Are there more conflicts or fewer conflicts between the opposition and VIlla supporters? Are there fewer?

this would really depend on the relationships between the two countries. there seems to be trouble whenever an english side plays in italy for example.

my only experiences were moscow (didn't see any trouble but you could tell all weekend the russians didn't like the english) and vienna part 2 (which was sound)

anywhere like germany, poland, swizerland, belgium, holland, all of scandinavia would be fine IMO

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The away days are absolutely **** incredible

Would be interesting to see if it impacted our excellent PL away support, I do kind of buy in to man City fans excuses that you can't do everything, if we're taking 5k away to Europe on the thursday night (!) would we still take 3k to say Newcastle or London on the Sunday afternoon

But seriously if there's one thing you do as a football fan, barring winning something as that's out of our control, go to a European game

It's funny how your username @villa4europe hits differently this week. Notice that? Last fall, it seemed like a sick joke. Three months ago, it seemed sarcastic. Last week, it seemed a little greedy. Now it feels ... very real.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It's funny how your username @villa4europe hits differently this week. Notice that? Last fall, it seemed like a sick joke. Three months ago, it seemed sarcastic. Last week, it seemed a little greedy. Now it feels ... very real.

Imagine where we were when I started here under MON... 

The days when the EL was a disappointment 😂

I can say I remember the arrogance - paired with the flights being shit and expensive - around going to the Vienna game two years running, saving my money for the better group games, what a mistake that was 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Hopefully stop some being doom and gloom negative and shitting on some players that have been great under Emery

100% not happening unfortunately

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Yeah - but do they have Gregg’s in Prague, m8?

Least exciting Villa match I ever went to was during the Lambert reign when we played a friendly approximately seven thousand miles outside downtown Chicago. I was in America that week so went up to Chicago for it, thinking it would be exotic. I remember the stadium car park had a Shell petrol station and that was about it. At least Witton has a decent Tesco.

• Haha 1

With us not playing in Europe for almost 15 years i'm really looking forward to not having to read how it's the CL or nothing or how we are too good for the smaller cups when and if we do quality. No one sticking their nose up if we get to play clubs from smaller leagues this time.

Edited by sne

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The only European competition worth being in is the Champions League, the Europa League is just an enervating waste of time, and money, which tempts clubs into signing too many players, they think they need to cope with two or more games a week.

I have long seen it as a barrier, meant to prevent clubs from the middle-rank from threatening the big brands should they have a transitional season.

I see Everton's decline as dating back to their Europa League qualification back in 2018.

Leicester qualified in 2020 and the have suffered a similar fate.

The prize money is less than £10m if you actually win it.

The fans seem to think it means something and will turn against any manager who doesn't take it seriously.

Revenue for a single night of a sold out VP is around £12-15mil as far as I remember. 

The only European competition worth being in is the Champions League, the Europa League is just an enervating waste of time, and money, which tempts clubs into signing too many players, they think they need to cope with two or more games a week.

I have long seen it as a barrier, meant to prevent clubs from the middle-rank from threatening the big brands should they have a transitional season.

I see Everton's decline as dating back to their Europa League qualification back in 2018.

The fans seem to think it means something and will turn against any manager who doesn't take it seriously.

While I can appreciate your reasoning, I don't agree that the other European competitions are a waste of time. Do you not think it would be incredible for us to win the Europa League? 

I'm sure Emery knows more about the Europa League than you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

If this isn't sarcasm then I feel sorry for your output on life. Cheer up, we're going to Czestochowa! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Hopefully stop some being doom and gloom negative and shitting on some players that have been great under Emery

Don't worry!  We'll still find something to complain about...  This is Villa we're talking about, after all!  🤣

6 hours ago, Enda said:

Least exciting Villa match I ever went to was during the Lambert reign when we played a friendly approximately seven thousand miles outside downtown Chicago. I was in America that week so went up to Chicago for it, thinking it would be exotic. I remember the stadium car park had a Shell petrol station and that was about it. At least Witton has a decent Tesco.

Haha - I was also at that game. Chicago Fire just suck ass. That’s the only game I’ve seen them play. They are playing games at the NFL stadium now so the experience is substantially better - even if the product isn’t!

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

If this isn't sarcasm then I feel sorry for your output on life. Cheer up, we're going to Czestochowa! 

I was not being sarcastic, I was just answering the implicit question suggested in the title of the thread.

Qualify by all means but don't break the bank to try and win the big boy's consolation prize.

I am obviously still traumatised by the match against Hellsingborgs back in the day. 🙄

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I was not being sarcastic, I was just answering the implicit question suggested in the title of the thread.

Qualify by all means but don't break the bank to try and win the big boy's consolation prize.

I am obviously still traumatised by the match against Hellsingborgs back in the day. 🙄

You know winning the Europa League gets you a Champions League spot as a seeded team

If we qualified now we would be one of the lowest ranked teams on co efficiency. We arent even ranked at the moment

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

That feels like a factor of 10 off to me. I could buy a number of 1-1.5 million.

It sounded off to me, but its definitely more than 1.5. 

£40-£50 per ticket, X 40k, that's 2m alone. + Hospitality (that's were the money is) fact the games are televised, beers, food, merchandise, there is a lot. 

So I wouldn't be surprised if it's around 10m. 

How much of that is pure profit I'm not sure. 

Either way, having those extra 6 -8  games at VP is a big financial bonus. 

Â