Pre-match thread

wedge

We have been outplayed by arsenal the last few times we played them. They play like man city so we know what to expect. We need to impose ourselves on them far more than we did against city. We need to hold our own in midfield where they are strong.  The problem with playing coutinho Is that he will give our left back no defensive cover against saka if he replaces buendia. We need to double up on him else he will destroy us.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

We have been outplayed by arsenal the last few times we played them. They play like man city so we know what to expect. We need to impose ourselves on them far more than we did against city. We need to hold our own in midfield where they are strong.  The problem with playing coutinho Is that he will give our left back no defensive cover against saka if he replaces buendia. We need to double up on him else he will destroy us.

Coutinho would be a passenger in this game, we can't afford to be playing with 10 vs Arsenal.  Buendia for me has to start on the left with McGinn on right.

• Like 2

Arsenal are just City again. 

Can't give up early goals and to be honest, we need to defend in a 5. Both City and Arsenal have struggled against teams that defend in a 5 because it matches with their attack (3box3 or 325 however you want to call it).

So far Unai hasn't deviated from his 4222 but has given certain instructions to the shape. Against City, we sometimes played in a 532 with Ramsay dropping back as an additional wingback but it was undisciplined after giving up the 5th minute corner. So question for me is if Unai deploys the 5 (Donkey or Chambers as the additional CB provided Mings is healthy) or does he stick to the plan we had against City with the hopes of not giving up an early goal to really set us back.

Additionally - we have to get something out of our corners. Saliba is horrible in the air and Arsenal don't have the City tall boys to compete on corners.

Ah!! So Arsenal are contacted and apologised to by the FA for the “ human error” in their game against Brentford and now we get given the dodgy VAR ref who apparently can’t even draw lines for our game against them? No doubt the FAs way of making it up to them. 
Dodgy VAR assisted defeat incoming then no doubt 🤬

I think Emery can tactically outclass Arteta but it has to come from the players  we lacked aggression vs city and folded in typical villa fashion. John Mcginn has to start he’s a better leader than people give him credit for and I think the added physical presence of Jhon Duran up front would help. And hope Mings is back don’t think I could take another Calamity Chambers performance.

Martinez 

Cash.        Konsa.       Mings.     Moreno

McGinn.   Kamara.     Luiz.     Coutinho 

Duran.      Watkins 

• Like 1

On 14/02/2023 at 22:19, Wainy316 said:

---------------------Martinez------------------

Young----Konsa---Mings------Moreno

----------------Luiz------Kamara--------------

------McGinn-----------------------Buendia---

------------------Duran----Watkins------------

Only tough choice is between Coutinho/Buendia but the rest picks itself.

This is what i'd go for aswell.

Argument for Coutinho to start but still worried he will tire early. Also slight argument for cash over young but would prob stick with young.

I think McGinn must come in and bailey must start on the bench.

• Like 1

One of these days we’ll make the most of our opponents being disadvantaged by having a massive game midweek that they will have to put everything into.

Want to see a well thought out team selection, tactics, and players fighting for everything from the off. Id go Moreno for Digne, Duran for Bailey, McGinn for Ramsey & hopefully Mings back for Chambers. Get amongst them early, get the crowd engaged, and a win wont be as difficult as you’d think.

Arsenal put so much into this they'll be very flat for a Saturday morning kick off.

Unforgivable if we just stand off them and let then knock passing triangles around us. Would still start Young for this as he'll sense that and get into Saka early. Think they'll put in Trossard ahead of Martinelli on the left.

We need some urgency first 20 minutes v them even if that risks conceding a goal. Way we played last year at home to them for first 70 minutes in similar situation was pathetic.

With Emery's knowledge of 4-5 of their first 11 I actually think we'll get a draw out of this. 1-1 for me.

Edited by VillaChris

23 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Arsenal put so much into this they'll be very flat for a Saturday morning kick off.

Unforgivable if we just stand off them and let then knock passing triangles around us. Would still start Young for this as he'll sense that and get into Saka early. Think they'll put in Trossard ahead of Martinelli on the left.

We need some urgency first 20 minutes v them even if that risks conceding a goal. Way we played last year at home to them for first 70 minutes in similar situation was pathetic.

With Emery's knowledge of 4-5 of their first 11 I actually think we'll get a draw out of this. 1-1 for me.

I hope so but there was a game last season where they played Liverpool on a Wednesday night at home and lost and then played us at Villa Park on the Saturday early kick off.

Despite lots of us hoping they'd be tired and we could use this to our advantage there was little sign of it.

Fingers croseed though!

50 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I hope so but there was a game last season where they played Liverpool on a Wednesday night at home and lost and then played us at Villa Park on the Saturday early kick off.

Despite lots of us hoping they'd be tired and we could use this to our advantage there was little sign of it.

Fingers croseed though!

I think at that point I seriously realised Gerrard wasn't going to amount to much with his style (first big warning was Watford at home a month earlier).

We just played narrow and so slow and barely did anything until we had a few shots late on. Arsenal had peaked at that point and spent the run in losing comfortably at Palace and Newcastle so same may be happening.

More I think about it might actually make sense to start Duran. Arsenal won't know much about it and we need to be a bit more direct in this rather than just endless slow passing and struggling to get up quickly to help out Ollie when he's trying to hold it up.

Hopefully Partey won't be back as it will be slightly easier to get around Jorginho and Xhaka and try to cut off the supply to Saka and Odegaard which is easier said than done.

Get the first goal and I think good things can happen in this game for us. Arsenal at stage of season where draws are pretty much as bad as defeats so they really need to beat us to get back on track.

• Like 2

---------------------Martinez------------------
Young--——Konsa---Mings-----Moreno
----------------Luiz------Kamara--------------
----McGinn-----------------------Ramsey—
——————Coutinho————————
---------------------Watkins————————

• Like 1