Pre-match thread

wedge

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Ramsey needs to find some form.

Oh I agree for sure. He was barely noticeable against City (the penalty decision aside) and he's been off it a while.

He gets in my side purely to add extra legs which I think will be important against Arsenal's midfield - also if you start with Coutinho (like I have) then you need energy around him.

I get the calls for Duran, he had a lively cameo, I just wouldn't want to put too much pressure on him too soon and think he provides us with a good option from the bench.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Oh I agree for sure. He was barely noticeable against City (the penalty decision aside) and he's been off it a while.

He gets in my side purely to add extra legs which I think will be important against Arsenal's midfield - also if you start with Coutinho (like I have) then you need energy around him.

I get the calls for Duran, he had a lively cameo, I just wouldn't want to put too much pressure on him too soon and think he provides us with a good option from the bench.

That's the key when you're playing the top teams, you need two players who can get you up the pitch quickly as there will be space to exploit. If you don't and it's a slow midfield you just get camped near your own box.

We certainly need someone mobile off Ollie otherwise he's going to be very isolated.

Kamara v Odegaard is a key battle of course and hopefully McGinn can get his backside amongst Jorginho and disrupt his passing. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That's the key when you're playing the top teams, you need two players who can get you up the pitch quickly as there will be space to exploit. If you don't and it's a slow midfield you just get camped near your own box.

We certainly need someone mobile off Ollie otherwise he's going to be very isolated.

Kamara v Odegaard is a key battle of course and hopefully McGinn can get his backside amongst Jorginho and disrupt his passing. 

Yes, I agree. I'd hate for us to be camped at the edge of our own box all game but I am also wary that if we play 2 up top that it will leave us a bit open in midfield for them to pick us off, which they are more than capable of doing.

It's a difficult one getting that balance right. I'd still like us to play on the front foot, with the likes of Watkins, McGinn, Ramsey in their faces and pressing when it's on, but then on the ball we need to be much better too. I think Coutinho can be that spark (looked a different player against City when he came on).

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Yes, I agree. I'd hate for us to be camped at the edge of our own box all game but I am also wary that if we play 2 up top that it will leave us a bit open in midfield for them to pick us off, which they are more than capable of doing.

It's a difficult one getting that balance right. I'd still like us to play on the front foot, with the likes of Watkins, McGinn, Ramsey in their faces and pressing when it's on, but then on the ball we need to be much better too. I think Coutinho can be that spark (looked a different player against City when he came on).

We got it bang on v Man. United in terms of getting around the pitch so that's the template. Ramsey was excellent in that game but miles off it since. Personally I've come round to putting Duran in for an hour and see what he does as he was lively v Man. City and Arsenal won't have a clue what to expect from him. Also gives us more physicality in final third.

• Like 2

Arsenal will be physically and mentally drained after Wednesdays game. It’s a great time to play them. On the other hand they will be desperate to bounce back with a win. 

They are probably the best team in the league this season but also a very young team. We need to really get at them physically to have a chance. Afternoon kickoffs are normally pretty flat though. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We got it bang on v Man. United in terms of getting around the pitch so that's the template. Ramsey was excellent in that game but miles off it since. Personally I've come round to putting Duran in for an hour and see what he does as he was lively v Man. City and Arsenal won't have a clue what to expect from him. Also gives us more physicality in final third.

We did but then got it horribly wrong against Liverpool and Leicester with how much of a high line we played along with how open we were. Really need to get the balance right. I’d actually prefer us to drop a bit for this one and really frustrate them. Take the game to them and I reckon they’ll pick us off easily.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Hope so mate 🤞

Looking back at the Man Utd game which you rightly mention as the blueprint for tomorrow, we had Cash, Digne, Dendoncker and Bailey starting and I don't think any of these 4 would be selected by many going into this game. The tactics though were absolutely spot on.

Let's hope Emery gets it spot on. I'm sure he will give us the best chance possible, just hope the players have the belief they can get something from it.

We have the opportunity tommorow to inflict 3 losses in a row upon them, if thats the case it will have been 4 games since their last win.....very tough game for us and i personally don't think we will achieve it, we will have to be completely switched on and cut out basic errors. Maybe copy Leicester's tactics against us and double up on their key players, Odegaard and Saka, they are the creative outlets

2 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Arsenal will be physically and mentally drained after Wednesdays game. It’s a great time to play them. On the other hand they will be desperate to bounce back with a win. 

They are probably the best team in the league this season but also a very young team. We need to really get at them physically to have a chance. Afternoon kickoffs are normally pretty flat though. 

Rainbows don't come very often.....If we did that, Europe would be a doddle.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

We have the opportunity tommorow to inflict 3 losses in a row upon them, if thats the case it will have been 4 games since their last win.....very tough game for us and i personally don't think we will achieve it, we will have to be completely switched on and cut out basic errors. Maybe copy Leicester's tactics against us and double up on their key players, Odegaard and Saka, they are the creative outlets

I'll put my bum in the Co-op Window, if we win Tommorow....now where have I heard that before?

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

This is either a great time to play arsenal or a really bad time to play arsenal.

Guess we’ll know which in about 27 hours time.

It was a terrible time to play Man City, but Arsenal are bottlers who can't handle pressure. It will be a massive psychological blow to have been 8 pts clear to now being 2nd and losing at home to your main rivals. It's difficult to get over and I think there are points available if we get our home performance right. 

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

From what I have seen he should be in....we never thought twice, when a 19 year old Andy Gray arrived and blew Villa Park up......he was straight in, if they are good enough, they are old enough.

power and Pace....Oops I'm dribbling.

Edited by TRO