Pre-match thread

wedge

A 12.30 kick off trip to Villa Park against their former manager is probably not what Arsenal want after last night but then I remember thinking the same thing last season when they played Liverpool mid week and then won at Villa park so I am not convinced that matters much tbh. 

Key will be not giving them an early goal as they will come out and start quick. When your in a slump like Arsenal are, Villa tend to be the ideal opponent to get back to winning ways. 

Need to wait for team news, if Mings plays then maybe stand a chance of getting something out of this game but if his out injured then I don’t see anything but a comfortable Arsenal win. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

---------------------Martinez------------------
Young--——Konsa---Mings-----Moreno
----------------Luiz------Kamara--------------
----McGinn-----------------------Ramsey—
——————Coutinho————————
---------------------Watkins————————

No pace whatsoever in that line up, Ollie will be very isolated holding it up. If we're starting one of McGinn/Ramsey as wide midfield we still need Bailey/Duran starting to provide balance.

• Like 1

I hope Unai noticed how Man City mixed up playing out of the back with long balls over the top. I appreciate that Watkins isn't quite to Haaland's standard but he isn't bad in the air either. Get Bailey/ Duran close and we might get something that way. Playing out from the back isn't always the most effective way.

Plus mixing it up will keep them guessing 

• Like 1

Can’t believe people are still suggesting Bailey should start. He is very limited as a premier  league player and offers little when selected. The slower pace of games in Germany and lower level international fixtures allows him to make errors and get away with it.

2 hours ago, claretman said:

Are people not forgetting this is Aston Villa?  Anyone on a bad run, not scoring or out of form generally gets back on track against us.

I watched them play City, they didn't look out of form to me! City were more clinical but the level of football was pretty incredible to be honest. Just light years away from 90s even 00s in the UK. We don't have the players to try to match them and go and win our duels so our system will have to be made to nullify them first and foremost if we want points. Us being at home though will mean the crowd will want us to take the game to them. Tough balancing act against a very good football team. Any kind of point against this lot will be a massive bonus. 

It took Arteta a long time to get them to where they are, in modern football terms anyway, iwe need to have the same patience with Emery.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

No Partey.

Two days rest before an early kickoff away game.

We can win this.

I'll actually be disappointed if we don't give them a game here.

What we was all probably thinking last season and we didn’t lay a glove on them really. Think they was missing Ramsdale and another player if I remember correctly 

First off, I actually thought we could win or get something at Man City but without Mings we were never going to keep a clean sheet or win the game.

Even without Mings, a few were certainly off the pace last weekend and some changes to freshen up the side would be welcome - Cash or Young, Moreno or Digne, McGinn or Ramsey, Coutinho or Buendia, Duran or Bailey?  These being the most likely.

We’ve got to start quickly and perhaps attack the Holte End again first half. It’s seems to have served us well recently. In addition, if we did start Duran, imagine the crowd would really get behind him and he could run himself into the ground for 60 minutes. I would go with the team below to start but we have some decent options on the bench now and Bert is hopefully back:

Martinez

Cash        Konsa             Mings         Moreno

Kamara         Luiz

McGinn                           Buendia

Duran         Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Young, Digne, Chambers, Dendoncker, Ramsey, Coutinho, Traore, Bailey

I stupidly predicted a 0-1 win last weekend but Arsenal are no Man City. It’ll be tough still, we need Mings back and we can’t carry any passengers. Start well, score first and we can get something.  Heart says 2-1 win but my head is saying 1-1. UTV

On 13/02/2023 at 10:20, WakefieldVillan said:

Martinez

Young     Konsa     Mings       Moreno

McGinn  Ramsey  Kamara   Luiz   Coutinho

Watkins    

I know we don't play the above formation but I think it might make us a bit more solid (on paper) whilst still having an attacking threat.

The above is based more "out of possession" and can easily morph into a 4-2-3-1 when breaking forward.

We have conceded 7 in 2 so unless we improve defensively we are always going to be up against it.

If Mings is injured I would play Kamara at CD and bring in Buendia.

Need at least 7/8 out of 10's from everyone to get anything from this but I will go 2-1 Villa (Watkins, Coutinho) late goal from them but us to hold on. UTV.

Ramsey needs to find some form.

2 hours ago, RichW said:

What we was all probably thinking last season and we didn’t lay a glove on them really. Think they was missing Ramsdale and another player if I remember correctly 

you could say that in many of our games.

on the balance of probability, we can't win this......we don't play well enough in the right area's to win it.

Edited by TRO

20 hours ago, BOF said:

Poor old Arsenal on a bad run. Don't worry, we're next.

But seriously, come on Villa. We can actually do this.

Don't worry, the "gift that keeps on giving", will get them back on track.

perfect game for Arsenal after Man City.