• McGinn (Buendía 60)
    • Moreno (Bailey 61)
    • Durán (Digne 61)
    • Coutinho (Young 76)
    • Cash (Ramsey 76)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/02/23 at 23:59

3 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

I’ve always said I don’t think Ramsay is good enough. He seems a good kid and a Villa fan but he’s just not the level we need. 

I think he would be OK as the fourth midfielder.  The problem is we can't have both him and Buendia or (to a lesser extent) him and McGinn on the pitch at the same time.  I thought Luiz was MOTM and Kamara was OK but they were trying to do the job of 4 players today.  I think Luiz, Kamara and Guendouzi (as an example) gives us that solid platform to potentially allow one of JJ, Buendia or McGinn to play.  Although actually I don't think any of those three will be starting next season.

• Like 1

In the end that wasn’t as dispiriting as I expected it to be. I liked the version of the first XI that was playing from around 65 minutes and we actually came screamingly close to scoring 2 more goals, which would have made it 3-3!

I am excited about Jhon Duran and it is great to see how Emery has helped Coutinho improve his game - I think Gerrard’s only approach to motivating him was  to emphasise what great mates they were. Emery seems to be doing a bit of coaching.

However, the first half was pretty much a surrender with us showing no belief that we could compete. An abject capitulation. The last couple of matches have seen a worrying reversal of the standard of our play that Emery seemed to have imbued. Much to be worried about.

I suppose Douglas Luiz was MOTM in the sense that he didn’t make any obvious errors.

I think I would be picking Cash and Moreno over Young and Digne for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

I’ve always said I don’t think Ramsay is good enough. He seems a good kid and a Villa fan but he’s just not the level we need. 

He has been mediocre since coming back from injury post-WC, but to me, he showed enough last year that I'm not giving up on him.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Jesus if only that was the sum of our problems.

It's far, far bigger than that, surely everyone can see that.

We as a fan base do enjoy having problems though don’t we? it’s far more exciting to be angry and miserable !!

Poor team performance, not helped by Emery. Not sure why Digne got the nod again or why Bailey wasn't subbed off sooner. I thought Coutinho might have gotten the start today given how he was unplayable in this fixture last season. Did Emery not watch the video?

Mings out probably had a bad effect on their confidence but still. You have to overcome adversity or at least give adversity a fight. That first half was a gutless embarrassment. How many times have we said this?

So many weaknesses in this team, not least of which is the mentality, which is still soft as pudding.

Duran looks the part, hopefully he starts ahead of Bailey who looks like he's on borrowed time now.

Ramsey looks low on confidence, Kamara still in a bit of a rut, Young looking like he's starting to run out of gas.

Another overhaul is needed. Hopefully Purslow stays far away from the big decisions this time.

• Martínez: Not his pest game, but for the most part OK, some nice goalkeeping in the ninety minutes. First goal, a really well-executed corner, the second goal a mix-up with Chambers, and the third a soft penalty ... meh!
  • Young: OK game, not his best
  • Konsa: Did he lose Rodri for the first goal? But like I said it was a well-executed corner
  • Chambers: Again OK, then there was the mix-up with Martinez. 1
  • Digne: Again OK, but did not set the world alight.
  • Ramsey: I thought he is starting to come back, still not where he was but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Kamara: Much better game than last week, but still not commanding the midfield as he has been.
  • Luiz: I thought he had a good game
  • Buendía, I still don't get the knocking Beundia gets, he worked hard out of possession and only really had Watkins ahead of him in possession.
  • Bailey: Oh dear.
  • Watkins: My PotM, worked hard like Beundia but got the goal.
  • McGinn: A good first cameo back, seems like he plays in slo-mo., but did what was needed.
  • Moreno: Did not seem to impact the game one way or the other, but was OK
  • Durán: I was impressed, his pressing lead to Ollie's goal, wonderful shot, looking forward to his future appearances.
  • Coutinho: Today was the best I have seen him play in the last six months.
  • Cash: His cameo was fine
  • Unai --- average
  • Referee poor

(The opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of VillaTalk, but the what eff do you lot know)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I can't defend my countryman anymore... needs to be dropped, Duran is my new saviour... Columbia is close enough to Jamaica... lol

Columbia is even closer to Colombia 😉 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:
  • Martínez: Not his pest game, but for the most part OK, some nice goalkeeping in the ninety minutes. First goal, a really well-executed corner, the second goal a mix-up with Chambers, and the third a soft penalty ... meh!
  • Konsa: Did he lose Rodri for the first goal? But like I said it was a well-executed corner
  • Ramsey: I thought he is starting to come back, still not where he was but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Kamara: Much better game than last week, but still not commanding the midfield as he has been.
  • Buendía, I still don't get the knocking Beundia gets, he worked hard out of possession and only really had Watkins ahead of him in possession.
  • McGinn: A good first cameo back, seems like he plays in slo-mo., but did what was needed.
  • Durán: I was impressed, his pressing lead to Ollie's goal, wonderful shot, looking forward to his future appearances.
  • Unai --- average
  • Referee poor

(The opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of VillaTalk, but the what eff do you lot know)

You've spelled Buendia's name correctly and incorrectly in the same sentence!

11 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:
  • Unai --- average
  • Referee poor

11 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:
  • Unai --- average
  • Referee poor

Wasn’t it Kamara that lost Rodri for their 1st goal?

• Thanks 1

Okay...I will keep this short and sweet. Rubbish first half but slightly better in the the second half. Very important we won the second half after being 3-0 down, it is not acceptable to be 3 goals down against any team at HT. Jack Grealish should be ashamed of himself, no ethics and values in modern football. Villa supporter my arse.

Grealish,  VAR and the ref. After that the game was over. Disgraceful behaviour and embarrassing decision from VAR not to review, he should have been yellow carded for it. At least we know where all the moneys been spent, sunglasses for the VAR team.

Â