• McGinn (Buendía 60)
    • Moreno (Bailey 61)
    • Durán (Digne 61)
    • Coutinho (Young 76)
    • Cash (Ramsey 76)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/02/23 at 23:59

Also before the game I thought we should have set up more defensively than in previous games. It would have been a perfect game for McGinn to come in and press and be the usual pit bull player that he is, I also think it could have been good to give kamara a rest and a break and put in big Donk to give us some more strength and defensive options, especially as Mings was out. We could even have thought about playing another one in midifeld instead of two up front to stiffle the centre of the pitch.

I was a big surprised that Emery went with more or less the same team at home against Leicester as away to Man C.

Lessons learned. 

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

How can anyone defend this? He clips his own damn leg to ensure he falls over and cries like a baby to get the pen.

ezgif-5-453e339433.gif

The clip just needs to start 3-4 seconds and then you will see Grealish running in front of Ramsay to ensure his heel gets clipped.

As I recall, he used to do this sort of thing for Villa and we all used to adore him for it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

How can anyone defend this? He clips his own damn leg to ensure he falls over and cries like a baby to get the pen.

ezgif-5-453e339433.gif

Agree, I don get why there wasn't more protests and a check by VAR (if we now have to have that). Sure there was some contact at first, but then they were competing, then he just clips his own leg and falls over. Not that it had changed the game but it looked silly and soft.

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

The clip just needs to start 3-4 seconds and then you will see Grealish running in front of Ramsay to ensure his heel gets clipped.

As I recall, he used to do this sort of thing for Villa and we all used to adore him for it.

Contact doesn't mean foul. Why didn't he go down when JJ made contact if that was the case? He's tripped over himself to win the penalty, that's it.

Edited by The_Steve

21 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

ezgif-5-453e339433.gif

He's always been a cheating prick, people just used to ignore it when he wore our colours. The bloke is a thick, drink driving, drug taking bellend.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Sure. Apart from the 2 we did get. 

Let's not throw everything out the pram after losing to the (2nd) best side in the league. We'll have another good run this season after these couple of games and this summer will significantly strengthen. 

2 proven quality winners? I don't think so. Moreno the 'best of the rest' in La Liga and has already shown he'll get done for pace by a lot of wide forwards in the PL.

Duran a total unknown, could be great but certain doesn't qualify as a proven winner.

My point stands.

41 minutes ago, smg said:

Are you suggesting that the only way to achieve is to cheat steal and overspend to achieve success?

You really don’t like our players do you ? You are saying Brighton, Brentford and Fulham have better squads than ours ? Absolute bo+++cks. What Brighton and Brentford have shown is that if you give your coach time he can improve players and develop them into a squad that can be built on in the future I know Brightons coach is new but he was clearly well chosen to build on what Potter left behind. Frank obviously  carried on from his mentor, his name escapes me.. Fulham have made massive steps in a very short time without spending a fortune. The difference is that the fan base of teams like this don’t feel they are entitled to success without doing the ground work. Money no longer guarantees success, we missed that boat so perhaps there should be a change in how we support our players rather than constantly trying to replace with something supposedly  better, .

I agree to an extent, and always try to be positive about current players on the whole but the majority of this group has seen off two managers already (one of whom was a total chump, granted). It’s not like they’re new, they’ve been consistently inconsistent for getting on for 4 years now, some of them.

30 minutes ago, wict01 said:

I agree to an extent, and always try to be positive about current players on the whole but the majority of this group has seen off two managers already (one of whom was a total chump, granted). It’s not like they’re new, they’ve been consistently inconsistent for getting on for 4 years now, some of them.

The new manager is a cut above. At least he should be given a chance to develop what he has now and then add to what he thinks needs improving in the future. His hands are tied in that respect for a few months. Let’s see what he can do with what he’s got now.

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Jack clipped himself. JJ didn't generate enough contact to warrant a foul let alone Jack doing this bizarre thing.

Y1qOy4w.png

See those clumps of grass in the air between the 2 players? (odd shapped black things - there are 3 of them)

They came from Grealish's boot. They got dislodged by the contact Ramsey made.

That contact is enough for Grealish to fall, as it forces his trailing leg against his standing leg. If you've ever seen a Rugby League game - that's what's called an "ankle tap". Guaranteed to bring a player down no matter how big.

Sure - Grealish exaggerates the contact to make sure the penalty was awarded - but it would have been awarded by VAR anyway.

Why? Because it was a penalty. Poor from Ramsey, tbh.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

The thing that really smarts is that the refs used to wave these types of things away when he played for us.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, briny_ear said:

It's not just that he runs in front of him, he also throws his leg out in a really weird unnatural position to ensure there is some sort of contact. 

People seem surprised that when he was our player we were happy if we got decisions in our favour and when he's people call him out for it. Isn't that always the case? I very much doubt anyone is worrying too much about the decision over on Bluemoon because when it goes in your favour you take it and you can always justify it by saying 'his heel gets clipped'.

6 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

See those clumps of grass in the air between the 2 players? (odd shapped black things - there are 3 of them)

They came from Grealish's boot. They got dislodged by the contact Ramsey made.

That contact is enough for Grealish to fall, as it forces his trailing leg against his standing leg. If you've ever seen a Rugby League game - that's what's called an "ankle tap". Guaranteed to bring a player down no matter how big.

Sure - Grealish exaggerates the contact to make sure the penalty was awarded - but it would have been awarded by VAR anyway.

Why? Because it was a penalty. Poor from Ramsey, tbh.

Jack made the clumps himself - JJ at best rubs shoulders with him. Or Jack brushes himself against his ankle. For me, there’s nothing JJ does that’s indicative of a foul, as Jack is able to stay on his feet long enough to trip himself up. 

Jackie was hit by a stray Russian bullet,  it was the dive of all dives, VAR is a joke it took 3 minutes to check hand balls that were obviously unintentional and then nothing to check for any contact worthy from that swan dive from Jackie the drunk. I'm still pissed about it, we would have lost anyway. 

Â