Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

20 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

I think the post is bang on the money also. As Mervyn King so brilliantly pointed out, we've been a bad decision making machine for far too long. Those days are over.

I just don’t how you can be so certain that we won’t make a large purchase of a local-ish player.  Makes sense we’ll look more abroad generally but without history or out right comment from Emery that we are only shopping abroad which won’t happen, we have no idea who they are looking at so to be so certain for some fans to rule local big purchases out seems a tad presumptuous especially in this first major window.

Manure & Sancho are doing to have to  take a massive hit on the fee and wages… Think sub £40mill would be reasonable all round imo and  I’d trust the process if we did indeed go for him. Ambiguous toward him signing 

2 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We could make two of them starting in cups and Europe. As the season goes those who showed better form will start more regularly. For now Mings and Konsa are doing great so let’s see how things goes.

Yeah its a tricky one as they are all highly rated at present I’m not sure how it would work out to be honest, only player i can see moving on is carlos because of how konsa and mings have been so solid and of course if we buy Torres then it would indicate he starts, its a very confusing dilemma, feel as though he’s not essential but hes a top level defender so wouldn’t want to miss out on buying him.

18 minutes ago, Jono62 said:

If we do sign him, there is most likely to be rotation, plus Konsa could play the right back role.

I've seen no evidence he could.

19 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I just don’t how you can be so certain that we won’t make a large purchase of a local-ish player.  Makes sense we’ll look more abroad generally but without history or out right comment from Emery that we are only shopping abroad which won’t happen, we have no idea who they are looking at so to be so certain for some fans to rule local big purchases out seems a tad presumptuous especially in this first major window.

I don’t think anyone’s certain of anything, we’re just sharing our (differing) opinions. We could easily spend big on a player, even a local one, but I can’t see us paying someone close to 300k a week for example. It’s the wages and lack of value that concern someone like me more… I don’t want us to take a massive risk on a player who may not perform and then we are going to have to contend with a big financial hit and burden. Then struggle to offload that player, just for example.

Again, it’s all theorising and speculating - there’s not much else we can do atm regarding transfer stuff 😆

Some opinions or theories are borne out of some logic and reasoning too, such as looking at Unai and Monchi’s histories and track record regarding players signed and so on. They’ve normally found value and plucked talents out of obscurity. Doesn’t mean that trend will continue necessarily (they will have more freedom and better resources here) but… it kind of backs up certain opinions.

You are right though, none of us actually has a clue and can’t make any claims with absolute certainty.

We have differing opinions on players, who would make an impact, who would be of value and who wouldn’t etc.

It should all just be a bit of fun really…

Ultimately, whoever is signed will at least be given a shot and be supported initially by the majority of us. As long as Unai is picking and agreeing on these players, there’s not much of an argument to be had.

We just don’t have a lot to go off on atm so are just thinking out loud, many of us could be wrong. No issue with that, we just want our club to succeed.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

We still don’t know how Diego will fare in the long term. So having quality competition is paramount. We can’t risk him being injured again rushing him back. 

We don’t even know what our ambitions are, if we’re going to manage all these games and look to finish higher in the table (aim for CL spots??? Emi said as much 😆 Europa spot) then we need a much stronger and deeper squad with proper competition and quality.

I’m very impressed with how Unai has managed to get all the players invested and “buying in”… there hasn’t been any indication that any of the players have been unhappy or unsettled, even if their game time has been limited…

He’s a maestro 😆

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

We won't be signing any of Barnes, Maddison, or Sancho, the big money will spent on the continent, we haven't installed all these Spanish scouts, and Presidents of Football to only then go and spend most of our budget on Leicester players and top six rejects, any domestic transfers are going to be reserved for 'cut price' deals we might find, à la Tielemans, but the big money transfers, as in thirty million or more, will likely come from beyond the Premier League 👨‍🦲✴️

Not every signing has to come from the continent just because we have installed Spanish staff. Man City took Barcelonas set up, they still spent £100m on Jack 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

Has shown anything in the Premier League for the money and wages he will warrant.

If he played 30 games worth of minutes this season you'd expect him to get about 9 goals and 8 assists based on his production. That's good production especially when you factor in his possession game which will increase the number of goals scored and reduce the number of goals conceded by rarely losing the ball and being very confident and patient in possession 

36 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Will no-one think of Kortney Hause here? Poor guy will be 6th choice if Torres signs.

Mind you, he'll be about 9th choice once Emery sees him try to make a 5 yard pass on day one of pre season

He's already 6th choice with Mings, Konsa, Carlos, Chambers, Dendoncker and hell probably even Kamara. 

37 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I don’t think anyone’s certain of anything, we’re just sharing our (differing) opinions. We could easily spend big on a player, even a local one, but I can’t see us paying someone close to 300k a week for example. It’s the wages and lack of value that concern someone like me more… I don’t want us to take a massive risk on a player who may not perform and then we are going to have to contend with a big financial hit and burden. Then struggle to offload that player, just for example.

Again, it’s all theorising and speculating - there’s not much else we can do atm regarding transfer stuff 😆

Some opinions or theories are borne out of some logic and reasoning too, such as looking at Unai and Monchi’s histories and track record regarding players signed and so on. They’ve normally found value and plucked talents out of obscurity. Doesn’t mean that trend will continue necessarily (they will have more freedom and better resources here) but… it kind of backs up certain opinions.

You are right though, none of us actually has a clue and can’t make any claims with absolute certainty.

We have differing opinions on players, who would make an impact, who would be of value and who wouldn’t etc.

Ultimately, whoever is signed will at least be given a shot and be supported initially by the majority of us. As long as Unai is picking and agreeing on these players, there’s not much of an argument to be had.

We just don’t have a lot to go off on atm so are just thinking out loud, many of us could be wrong. No issue with that, we just want our club to succeed.

I agree on most of it.  Never ever thought we’d spend £300k per week on a player but I could see us buying a player from a local-ish team or just a PL for big cash.  It maybe because Emery admires them or thinks he can get more out of them or is less risk than his targets in Europe or just purely because the player is available and willing to come.  I don’t have any particular names in mind just that I’m open to not thinking that because we have Spanish staff that they are going to go only for relatively cheaper players abroad 100% of the time.

Just for an example where Villa fans look to being wrong, how many were saying we weren’t going to spend big on central defence this summer yet what seems to be our strongest link is Pau Torres for big money. Yes, nothing concrete but a lot of smoke and Villa fans were saying before the window it was an area we weren’t going to spend big in.  I’m just saying what Villa fans think is going to happen is what we want to happen, we have no clue what Emery is going to do so shutting off the local big purchase angle seems naive in our thoughts.

Edited by nick76

Unless Sancho agrees to walk away from a lotof money, or his agent is good enough to convince Manchester United to top his wage up for a long while/pay a lump sum of that contract that remains when flogging him, he's not joining us. He's ludicrously overpaid up there and that's their problem. Not good enough to chuck that money at.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

Quick question lets say we do sign Pau Torres what happens with Carlos and Konsa ( assuming mingsy keeps his spot) i don’t see konsa and carlos both as bench players so it does appear unsettling in some regard. As centre back positions are not areas that you swap and change regularly despite the extra competitions you are in.

we have no clue how much Diego has recovered from that injury. after that, it's just we need the competition and depth for all the games upcoming. We also have been extremely fortunate that we have not had either Mings or Konsa have a serious injury in the time we've been in the PL since being promoted. With all due respect, I don't think any of us think that Chambers would be good enough as a first choice cb & we might shift him on. 

• Like 2

Although my finger has not been on the pulse with speculation, I have seen some UCL names linked with our club.

I will say that, we may be able to tempt a player with a strong financial package and infrastructure for a project but we will still find it very difficult to attract the calibre of player that we want.

A lot work has to go into;

• Continuous Progression 
  • Strong Identity
  • Brand Attributes off the field
  • Growing reputation at European level competition.

Our performances outside of England will have to create the desire for players to want to join us, not only because of UE or Financial reasons.

The point that I’m trying to make is that, we are at the beginning of something special hopefully and because we don’t sign big names doesn’t mean we are not progressing..

Good things come to those that wait..

Edited by Reivax_Villa

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Yep no way do we pay a player over 200k a week even for a star one.