Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Just now, DJBOB said:

In an ideal world you would do both, high value targets and fill out the squad but I have a feeling they will pick the former rather than the latter.

I think the youth will have to come into play because we've done such a bad job of filling out the squad elsewhere.

You can't fill out the squad with players that won't be good enough for where you want to go, it isn't transfer fees that kill clubs it is wages.

People forget that the average wage is something like 60k now, that is 3 million a year for 3-5 years we are committing to for each squad player 

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

You can't fill out the squad with players that won't be good enough for where you want to go, it isn't transfer fees that kill clubs it is wages.

People forget that the average wage is something like 60k now, that is 3 million a year for 3-5 years we are committing to for each squad player 

Eh - I think we'll need a balance. We don't need a 3 year contract for every position as squad filler but we'll need probably one along each line (midfield, defense, forward) that's not a youth product

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

By every statistical measure - Konsa doesn't come close to Mings in terms of passing the ball unless it's a short sideways pass to the RB or to Mings or to Emi.

I'm not entirely sure where this myth that Konsa is better than Mings at passing the ball, but he will be the first replaced under Unai when either Diego is fit or in the summer.

I agree, I think the settled CB partnership for the rest of the season will be Mings and Carlos once big Diego is match fit again 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wict01 said:

I agree, I think the settled CB partnership for the rest of the season will be Mings and Carlos once big Diego is match fit again 

will Konsa go right back?

3 hours ago, paul514 said:

What kills clubs Paul, is players not fulfilling the expectations of the buying club.....We can all see the clubs who manage that well.

as and example .....paying 30 mill for a player, no better the 10 mill player or a free transfer or Loan......thats what kills clubs.

We all know, every club has misses.....but if the ratio is balanced with too many misses Vs  hits over a period.....it's tin hat time.

Edited by TRO

I think we’ll see a couple of big signings (RM and ST), a few lower scale ones with potential (RW, CM), hopefully a free or two (LM/CAM) and some changing of the guard type signings (LB, RB/CB)

I have no idea who we’re targeting for a striker and winger but would love us to have a midfield 4 of…

Kamada   Kamara   Luiz    Guendouzi

Supported/rotating with J. Ramsey, Buendia, McGinn, Dendonker and Iroegbunam

McGinn is the weakest link in there as Buendia will play ahead of him at RM and he’s not getting in ahead of Luiz.

I’d look to sell him in the summer and bring in a Kone, K. Thuram, Kokcu or Nico Gonzalez type of CM that can be competition for Dougie’s spot. I’d keep Dendonker as he can cover at CB too.

Digne and Cash will both go, as will Chambers and the guys out on loan. I feel sorry for Cash as he’s a victim of Emery ball and just doesn’t fit with what Emery wants to do there.

Whatever happens it will be an interesting summer. 

Would anyone take Brobbey at Ajax for the ST position? Seems to be doing well and only 20.

I might have answered my own question with the ‘he’s only 20’ as I suppose we already have Durán and Archer. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

What kills clubs Paul, is players not fulfilling the expectations of the buying club.....We can all see the clubs who manage that well.

as and example .....paying 30 mill for a player, no better the 10 mill player or a free transfer or Loan......thats what kills clubs.

We all know, every club has misses.....but if the ratio is balanced with too many misses Vs  hits over a period.....it's tin hat time.

You obviously want players to work out whenever you buy them, I liken it to betting where it is foolish to make a bet over certain odds unless the pay off is large.

Still you can sign a player for 20 million who works out fairly well for a player of that price, however if he is 29 declining a bit in the legs on a five year deal for 120k a week it's the wages that is the killer in that scenario.

You weren't expecting to sell him for a fee, you may have thought his decline in numbers last season to be an anomaly and you will get the best out of him. Perhaps you gave him a 5 year deal and 120k a week because he was on 160k for 3 more years elsewhere.

I think that is a realistic scenario, not too dissimilar to Digne even.

The premier league being an extremely physical league does not suit every "rated" player from abroad.

I really do think that the club need to get a new perspective into the recruitment and scouting departments

Brighton seem to have a lot more hits than misses over the last few yrs and we should be taking a leaf out of their book.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, trillvillan said:

I would think so considering Emery wants Real Sociedad's Sporting Director. 

This would be very good news indeed.

They had an incredible transfer window a few summers back. Signed all of David Silva, Nacho Monreal, Isak and Martin Odegaard on loan so perfect mix of youth an experience and they finished 6th and eventually won the Copa del rey. Merino also came back around that time.

Think his name is Loren but feels like it would need to be a big offer to tempt him as he's basque. 

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They had an incredible transfer window a few summers back. Signed all of David Silva, Nacho Monreal, Isak and Martin Odegaard on loan so perfect mix of youth an experience and they finished 6th and eventually won the Copa del rey. Merino also came back around that time.

Think his name is Loren but feels like it would need to be a big offer to tempt him as he's basque. 

Hmmm there are other people involved in the process like scouts and the people who do background checks on players as in what are they like as a personality etc, it's all important.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Roberto Olabe. It was reported in spanish media first, then here, that Emery had offered him the job as Villa’s sporting director but he preferred to stay in Spain and said no.

I’m still wondering what Lange thought about those reports. The manager trying to replace you is bad enough, the whole thing leaking out and everyone knowing about it must be worse.

13 hours ago, AshVilla said:

I hope so.

Were terrible in that regard.

So much money wasted.

I disagree with this...  Our main problem is that we've let our managers have too much influence on who we buy and don't have a consistent philosophy from the top of the club to the bottom.  If we continue to chop and change managers with different playing styles/philosophies every few seasons, of course we'll always have a half dozen players on the books who will be seen as wasted money.  The "best run clubs" like Brighton, Brentford, etc. all have a club philosophy around the style of football they play, the culture of the dressing room, and have an extensive list of players/managers that will be replacements/upgrades when one leaves.  

Apparebtly we trued to get cellabos from rela madrid but he rejected the approach as he wants to stay in PL and has no desire to play in PL again

It seems emery likes players who have have played in PL before with strong links to guendouzi, cellabos and delanfoanu (sp?)