Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

I'll move to the forwards next, this is where there will be serious disagreement with me.

AM/SS - Kamada proven in Germany on a free in the summer he would be a round peg in a round hole and would be great for marketing in Japan, something our club could do with.

That's it. No one else.

Out - Davis, Coutinho, Traore.

Davis simply isn't needed
Coutinho hasn't worked out and never will
Traore is a victim of the fact that you don't need 4 players for one spot in the team.

I doubt we would get much in for these players given the latter two are probably on a combined 200k a week I think we would be lucky to see 20m for the three.

Now I know what will be said, 'err what about a striker?'

Well Watkins is going nowhere and emery likes a hardworking forward.
Duran has just been brought and will need SOME minutes
Archer also needs SOME minutes.

If we brought a striker in we are basically throwing Archer in the bin saying I hope we get 10-15m for you from a Championship/Lower half PL team without ever giving him a chance here AND it helps us spend money elsewhere.

I feel it is a part of the team where we can spend zero money considering Kamada is on a free and bring in a little cash, whilst also freeing up wages.

Edited by paul514

Lastly the midfield

We don't need ANY players for DCM! Amazing how that has turned around. We have Booby, Dougie, Timmy and Donkey.

Where we do need players is for this weird position of left and right midfield.

Now in Emery's system the player is required to be defensively sound in the wide midfield position out of possession and in possession move in front of the defensive midfielders. This is not a typical wide midfielder at all. Ball carrying is what we could do with him which is why Ramsey looks decent in the team, as that is what he does.

So the question is how many do we need? Ramsey and McGinn are perfectly fine for this and you could argue that Buendia could do the role as well, maybe.

I would be open to selling McGinn as I have been for the last couple of seasons if a good offer came in but lets assume it doesn't and we keep both. This would mean I want two 'wide' midfielders.

LM Ryan Sessegnon I think Spurs MIGHT let him go, he hasn't fulfilled his potential there and I think he meets the requirements for the Emery role.
RM Otavio is perfect for this role under Emery's system, I would prefer him to be a bit younger, he turned 28 yesterday apparently but he fits the role so well I think it is a signing we should make.

Out - Sanson, Nakamba, Philogene.

I don't really think much needs to be said about why those three need to go, its pretty obvious. You may argue to give JPB a contract extension and back on loan for a higher fee and if we did that I think we wouldn't see more than a few million coming in for the other two combined.

I would imagine buying two two would cost circa 50-60m

So all in all I could see 150m needing to be spent and we might bring in 70-80m IF there were willing buyers which inevitably there won't be for a couple of them.

I think that is a reasonable net spend, wouldn't increase the wage bill and is enough squad surgery to mould the squad to Emery's system.

8 hours ago, paul514 said:

He has proven himself in Germany and is 27 in the summer, as a free transfer subject to the wage not being six figures a week I think he would be a good signing to play the role Bailey has been playing under Emery.

I will say though, without selling players a second forward signing would be too much this summer. Bailey, Buendia, Traore and Kamada  would be competing for ONE place.

I would assume even bringing in Kamada means one has to go.

Edit - It is telling that I completely forgot about Coutinho, I was just thinking about making a post as to what I think (at the moment) should be done in the summer so had a look at the squad and saw his name.

Phil out, Kamada in? Yes please 

35 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I would love for us to go after Aaron Wan-Bissaka this summer as I think he'll be put up for sale.  Been playing well for the Mancs this past month while Dalot has been out injured, but doesn't fit well into their system long term.  That said, he is exactly the kind of defensive minded right back we need in Emery's system.  One of the best one-on-one defenders in the Premier League and absolutely rapid.  My suspicion is that he was who Emery was looking at when he went to the Forest v Man United match recently.  

I think wan bassaka is a excellent rb. Ok offensively he isnt goid but emery doesnt look for that. 

Definitely a player we should be looking at miles better than cash and chambers

6 hours ago, paul514 said:

I'll move to the forwards next, this is where there will be serious disagreement with me.

AM/SS - Kamada proven in Germany on a free in the summer he would be a round peg in a round hole and would be great for marketing in Japan, something our club could do with.

That's it. No one else.

Out - Davis, Coutinho, Traore.

Davis simply isn't needed
Coutinho hasn't worked out and never will
Traore is a victim of the fact that you don't need 4 players for one spot in the team.

I doubt we would get much in for these players given the latter two are probably on a combined 200k a week I think we would be lucky to see 20m for the three.

Now I know what will be said, 'err what about a striker?'

Well Watkins is going nowhere and emery likes a hardworking forward.
Duran has just been brought and will need SOME minutes
Archer also needs SOME minutes.

If we brought a striker in we are basically throwing Archer in the bin saying I hope we get 10-15m for you from a Championship/Lower half PL team without ever giving him a chance here AND it helps us spend money elsewhere.

I feel it is a part of the team where we can spend zero money considering Kamada is on a free and bring in a little cash, whilst also freeing up wages.

I like Kamada, but he doesn't seem to have the raw pace Emery is looking for, which is why I believe Nico Williams is his preferred target so I'd go with him. I'd sell Traore and try to bring in Moleiro as he plays primarily on the left. Then we'd have 3 wingers two left footed right wingers, with Bailey who can also play as an orthodox left winger. And Moleiro for the left inside forward role.

Having looked at Emery teams they are usually stacked with wingers for both sides. Having a left inverted winger like Moleiro give him some tactical flexibility. I agree on strikers 100% his squads only usually have 2 proper strikers, he is even known to play without a recognised striker on occasion.

In regards to Buendia, he is currently playing the left midfield role, but I actually think he is better suited to the right midfield role. He is not a winger in Emery's system, as his ball carrying and pace simply aren't up to par. I think he is just reluctant to play both Buendia and Bailey on the same flank, as while Buendia works hard and gets stuck in, he is lightweight, Bailey is also lightweight, and so is Young. If we had a Wan Bissaka type or a CB that can play RB we might see both Bailey and Buendia on the right.

I like all of your proposed targets, but Kamada I don't even think is on the radar. Frimpong and Livramento are both fine young players especially the latter. But I can't see an attack minded RB being brought in when we have Cash and KKH. I actually think Emery will like KKH. The only problem is Emery likes one of his fullbacks to be a defender first and foremost.

I love Pau Torres, great player. But he will go to a top team. If we get him, it also means we will certainly move on Mings. And even if we sign Torres, I still think we need a RCB. For me RCB is the priority not LCB.  Our two best CD's prefer LCB (Carlos and Mings). We probably need a RCB that can play RB for Emery's tactical approach. So are we going to sign two top centre back in the same window, I doubt it!

For me we sign Guendouzi. He really makes so much sense. Is a more attack minded midfielder, has good defensive qualities, can carry the ball and pass. Has a good relationship with Kamara also. It's just a no brainer.

So for it's Williams 45m (his release clause), Moleiro 10m - 15m, Guendouzi 30m - 40m. RCB who I don't know! Looks a 100m to 150m spend.

We will sell  few too, but only Sanson and Nakamba are certs. Coutinho will be hard to move on. Digne maybe sold, but he'd need replacing. Traore maybe sold if we get Williams, as 3 left footed right wingers is not a good idea. Chambers is a good utility player for me but he is slow! May go too.

• Like 1

I think Guendouzi gives us options as he can play RM or part of the double pivot instead of Luiz with Emi slotting in a RM. 

Kamada I’d see coming in as playing the LM/CAM role, supported by Ramsey and Emi. He could, at a push, play as the RW/SS too but I think he’s best suited as a CAM coming inside. 

I think we need someone to push Luiz, perhaps that’s Guendouzi with Buendia at RM but I’d like someone else that can sit, but then break and score more than Dougie does. Merino has been mentioned but he’d cost a bomb. Kokcu for me please 🙏 

I’m not overly convinced by Nico Williams if I’m honest as I think there are better winger/forward options out there for better value. If Emery sees something in him then I support it but the jury is out for me. 

RB I think we should get Foyth in as Emery knows him and he knows his system. Wan Bissaka would cost a load of money in comparison. Foyth or someone like Simikan or Tomiyasu (he might cost a bit too) perhaps. 

CB I’d like Schlotterbeck at Dortmund, does the defending side of things really well but good on the ball too, is also only 23. Not sure we could get him from Dortmund though. 

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

Coutinho will be hard to move on.

I’m not sure about this you know. I don’t know why but I really sense Countinho is the sort of character that will happily take a pay cut to go and play somewhere rather than sit on a bench collecting his pay check. 

I could be completely wrong, and maybe he does find form under Emery making the discussion void, but he took a pay cut to come here and I think he’d do the same again. 

26 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

VT: why can't we do same model as likes of Brighton and make good signings of cheap players no one has heard of

Also VT: let's pay over the odds for top 6 cast off player who struggled to get game all last season

spot on.

also.............It would be interesting, to count how many players in teams above us......who we would baulk at, if we was linked with them.

I am not looking forward to any Transfer window....such is my gut feel over the last 4/5 years.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, KMitch said:

I would love for us to go after Aaron Wan-Bissaka this summer as I think he'll be put up for sale.  Been playing well for the Mancs this past month while Dalot has been out injured, but doesn't fit well into their system long term.  That said, he is exactly the kind of defensive minded right back we need in Emery's system.  One of the best one-on-one defenders in the Premier League and absolutely rapid.  My suspicion is that he was who Emery was looking at when he went to the Forest v Man United match recently.  

You may be right that Emery wants full on defensive full backs.

personally I don’t think his system requires it hence why I recommended Sosa. If it was to be a defensive right back I agree with you, wan bissaka is who you want.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

VT: why can't we do same model as likes of Brighton and make good signings of cheap players no one has heard of

Also VT: let's pay over the odds for top 6 cast off player who struggled to get game all last season

I wonder if this has anything to do with VT being a collection of individuals with varied opinions, as opposed to a single entity that can't make up its mind?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, paul514 said:

Lastly the midfield

We don't need ANY players for DCM! Amazing how that has turned around. We have Booby, Dougie, Timmy and Donkey.

Where we do need players is for this weird position of left and right midfield.

Now in Emery's system the player is required to be defensively sound in the wide midfield position out of possession and in possession move in front of the defensive midfielders. This is not a typical wide midfielder at all. Ball carrying is what we could do with him which is why Ramsey looks decent in the team, as that is what he does.

So the question is how many do we need? Ramsey and McGinn are perfectly fine for this and you could argue that Buendia could do the role as well, maybe.

I would be open to selling McGinn as I have been for the last couple of seasons if a good offer came in but lets assume it doesn't and we keep both. This would mean I want two 'wide' midfielders.

LM Ryan Sessegnon I think Spurs MIGHT let him go, he hasn't fulfilled his potential there and I think he meets the requirements for the Emery role.
RM Otavio is perfect for this role under Emery's system, I would prefer him to be a bit younger, he turned 28 yesterday apparently but he fits the role so well I think it is a signing we should make.

Out - Sanson, Nakamba, Philogene.

I don't really think much needs to be said about why those three need to go, its pretty obvious. You may argue to give JPB a contract extension and back on loan for a higher fee and if we did that I think we wouldn't see more than a few million coming in for the other two combined.

I would imagine buying two two would cost circa 50-60m

No Koopmeiners.I think your account's been hacked.🤨😁

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, av1 said:

I’m not sure about this you know. I don’t know why but I really sense Countinho is the sort of character that will happily take a pay cut to go and play somewhere rather than sit on a bench collecting his pay check. 

I could be completely wrong, and maybe he does find form under Emery making the discussion void, but he took a pay cut to come here and I think he’d do the same again. 

Some money league will want him or even a move back home