Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Never thought I would see the day VillaTalk in a debate on whether we will splash another £50m+ on a player.

Shows how far we've really come (kw) as a club. Good times.

Well said, Sir.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

There is no way he's on £230k a week, he'd player 25/30 ever games for Barca and they were in financial turmoil. 

The crazy salary era got them into the trouble they were not handing out a salary only 20 players in the entire Premier Legue would be on

Don't google what salary they gave to Frenkie de Jong

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Don't google what salary they gave to Frenkie de Jong

That was during the madness era. 

Ansu stays despite Barca woes

Goal reported earlier in October that Barca had prioritised new contracts for Ansu and his Spain team-mate Pedri, but they were unable to offer lucrative terms to either man due to their current financial problems.

Ansu Fati signs new five-and-a-half year contract at Barcelona with €1 billion release clause | Goal.com UK

It's clear everyone is guessing and making stuff up on their FFP views, can't we keep this thread for transfer news/rumours etc and as above, post FFP opinions in the actual FFP thread, it really undermines this one.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

That was during the madness era. 

Fati got his new contract 1 year later than Frenkie got his. October 21 and October 20

After this they've handed out golden contracts to the likes of Kounde, Lewa, Raphinha, Gundogan and so on. They are still in the madness era.

4 minutes ago, Viloon said:

It's clear everyone is guessing and making stuff up on their FFP views, can't we keep this thread for transfer news/rumours etc and as above, post FFP opinions in the actual FFP thread, it really undermines this one.

Not really because it’s key to the transfer discussion because some think it’s pointless speculating because we don’t have the capacity where others believes we have the capacity and thus discussing possible transfer targets.  No point discussing which car you want if the person you are debating with doesn’t think you have the money to buy a car is it.  You say I have enough and this is the car I think we should buy, they are linked by their very nature.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eholm said:

It was tongue in cheek!

No-one apart from the club accountants etc know the actual facts.

That doesn't stop us individually from applying some common sense and logic to multiple scenarios upon which one can infer a measured opinion. Thats the beauty of a forum.

I firmly believe we do not have the abilty to spend huge sums on new signimngs....clearly others do..... and thats fine. It'd be so boring if we all thought the same and lived in an echo chamber. 

Look, I'd love us to go and spend upwards of another100M on more signings obviously but I do not think we are even in that ball park....yet. And that is the challenge we have in trying to get to achieve those huge revenue streams (CL etc) with the relaative limited budgets that we are afforded. If anyone can do it though its Unai. 

I don’t think we’re going to go wild and be reckless… nothing like a further 100m as you have put down.

But, I do feel that one high quality attacker or “big/statement signing” will be attempted or signed… 

Maybe anywhere between 30-50m (similar to Diaby) and we could spend much smaller fees and maybe even a loan deal or two to help bolster the squad and ensure that we have that cover and competition. E.g. fullback areas.

And we can factor in the recent sales and negotiations for outgoing players… not all of which we are privy to. We have no idea what is going on “behind the scenes”…

Once again, I’m going to have to repeat what Unai and Monchi have said… here goes:

Unai:

* Want and need a strong squad, with two players vying for a each position throughout the team.

* We want to be competitive on all fronts and will need “a lot of players”.

* We are watching the market right up until the deadline and will be ready to make a move (possibly for an important or star player) toward the end of the window.

Monchi:

* We have greater capacity and resources to act in the market than any club he has previously worked at, but we can’t go “crazy”.

* Wants to give Unai the strongest possible squad for the season.

* More players will arrive 😊 

I don’t think we are crazy limited or hindered… it’s more about identifying the right players, being patient, negotiating well… and so on.

Now that we have all but secured ECL qualification… that may give us more encouragement and urgency in completing further activity…

Unai’s ambition is considerable… he wants CL qualification asap, he wants to win a trophy… we need a stronger squad and side to achieve that. It’s why we brought Monchi in too, to help with this…

37 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont think we will do much if any business in January unless we get a major injury crisis.

So makes sense to get a couple more in. Preferably a striker and right back

I feel the same way, especially after Mings and Buendia injuries. We need to be strong now and counteract the negative effects of losing 2 key players to injury…

Jan is not important any more… but we will review it when it comes and maybe look at loans or bargain deals if necessary. Hopefully no need, maybe/hopefully that budget has been added to the one for this window…

15 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

That report states €50m for Fati, which is around £43m. Having just sold Ramsey, Davis and Archer for around £40m, the transfer fee quoted isn’t beyond our budget. Wages may be the stumbling block.

I think I’d prefer Ferran for now… if we are after a Barca player that is available. Someone who can impact and enhance the team rather than a player with potential and that is injury prone…

Or just look elsewhere…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

Where did you get the £230,000 per week figure from duke? I've checked his history and he's been at Barcelona since he was 10 years old. His senior career has been blighted by a couple of long term injuries, and he doesn't appear to have played a full match in three seasons. He's been used as a sub mostly and his match ratings are very average probably due to his lack of minutes. He has good potential but he wouldn't merit that sort of contract.

So why would Barcelona be paying him 268,000 euros (£230,000) per week? Genuine question.

Even if they are paying him that amount, no other club would be willing to offer anything like that, given his injuries. He will be lucky to get half that amount elsewhere, so will have to take a paycut (like Phil did) to move. 

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Surely we need a striker with Archer on the way out. 

Definitely need a forward of some sort. We were apparently after another one anyway. Given the potential number of games this season and our desire to get into the Champions League next season we would be taking a huge risk not bringing someone else in with Archer and Philogene leaving.

2 hours ago, eholm said:

We will agree to disagree on our indivdual interpretations of FFP etc - its a very convoluted system at best! 

Unai wants success and wants it quickly i.e. top four finishes etc, CL football regularly. If he genuinely still had in excess of ANOTHER £50M PLUS wages to spend then why has he not spent it? I get the spending on players that will only improve us and those that Emery wants argument......but I cannot think of many managers who would rather sit on £50M instead of using to improve on what he already has.

He's not going to spend £50M....because he hasn't got it to spend. Occam's razor and all that. 

(All of course IMO). 

I think he has said / implied a few times that he is expecting something to happen towards the end of the window.  I can't see why both he and Monchi would still be talking about strengthening the team if they knew they had no money to do so.  They'd be much better talking about how well we'd done with the signings we have already made. We've had an 8 or 9 out of 10 window this summer - I can't see why they'd risk fans thinking it was only a 6 or 7 out of 10 window by constantly talking about adding more depth and selling 4 prospects that many fans think would be in / around the match day squad.  Surely they'd be doing more PR around how well we've strengthened by adding 4 international players to add real competition - especially when you consider that we've got Moreno and J Ramsey due back soon.  Emery and Monchi just seem too experienced and too determined to build a legacy here to say they're looking to strengthen the team if they aren't.  We might not sign anyone - the players that they want just might not be available this summer (in which case they are smart enough not to panic and bring in 2nd or 3rd rate alternatives) but if we don't sign anyone else (and I mean a signing that raises a few eyebrows in terms of - wow Villa are really going for it) I don't think it will be down to FFP issues or us not trying.

I think that there are plenty of reasons why a £50m player hasn't signed for us until the last week of the season.  Maybe their club needs to replace them first.  Maybe they wanted to know that they'd have a few games in European competition to look forward to.  Maybe their clubs are hoping to secure European qualification.  Maybe the player / club are waiting to see if a bigger club bids more money.  As the slamming shut of the transfer window gets closer, some of the things preventing a player from signing might be slowly evaporating and strengthening our position.