Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

I can honestly see us trying to sign 2 more before the window closes.  A winger/wide forward type.  Personally I still think it will be Ferran Torres.  Ansu is too costly imo.  Ferran provides cover on the wing and can compete up top with Watkins and Duran in a pinch. 

I also think we will keep Digne now given Acuna's injury.  Moreno/Digne has LB sorted.  I'm still of the opinion that Cash/Konsa/Chambers is perfectly adequate for RB.  However with Ming's season ending injury we need another CB- given how often we play with 3 CBs.  I'm hopeful our 2nd signing before the window closes will be a loan signing for a young CB, or 1yr deal for an older experienced backup CB.  If we play with 3 CBs we really need 5 in the squad, especially when 1 of them shifts over to RB often (Konsa/Chambers)

UTV

• Like 1

Just now, Chindie said:

We'll sign Fati right after we find a diamond mine in a corner of Bodymoor.

No hope of that: we have to protect the great crested newt. Long time ago now but this issue really did delay the development of Bodymoor Heath.

30 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Surely we need a striker with Archer on the way out. 

You’d think so, can’t really see Duran doing too much if Ollie gets injured. We need squad depth, and I think an older but good striker could be good for a short contract

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if we signed Ivan Fresneda and Brennan Johnson, any other signings will depend on outgoings, maybe we will sign another striker regardless as not sure if Johnson could play Watkins role he doesn't strike me as that type of player, but then again Watkins didn't strike me as the type of striker that he became when he was playing as a winger, and will also depend on how much we trust Duran at this early stage of his development, maybe Johnson would be enough and he obviously can play various other postions.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we signed Ivan Fresneda and Brennan Johnson, any other signings will depend on outgoings, maybe we will sign another striker regardless as not sure if Johnson could play Watkins role he doesn't strike me as that type of player, but then again Watkins didn't strike me as the type of striker that he became when he was playing as a winger, and will also depend on how much we trust Duran at this early stage of his development, maybe Johnson would be enough and he obviously can play various other postions.

I’d welcome both, but agree with those who think we want F Torres - who’d likely cost £15-20M less than Johnson. 

Also, I can’t remember which interview it was, but either Monchi or Emery alluded to needing European qualification to be confirmed before completing some business for incoming players. 

If that’s correct then I think we can be quite sure of qualification next Thursday night, and so get on now with whatever they had planned..

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Surely the Fati rumors are just trash media rubbish?

Probably. Why would they want to offload a player that they clearly rate, unless there is a serious problem with him. His injury record is about as bad as Phil's, so I'd hope we don't go doing Barca any more favours by taking their crocked players off them. 

11 minutes ago, Awol said:

Also, I can’t remember which interview it was, but either Monchi or Emery alluded to needing European qualification to be confirmed before completing some business for incoming players. 

If that’s correct then I think we can be quite sure of qualification next Thursday night, and so get on now with whatever they had planned..

I think assuring qualification was key but the method of qualification has hopefully also sent out a message.  I know that the SPL is not the strongest but since 2000, Scotland have the 7th highest number of European competition finalists (3) behind: Spain (28), England (26), Italy (12), Germany (11), Portugal (7) and France (4).  So beating a Scottish team so comprehensively should suggest that we'd be looking to go deep into the competition.  Hopefully that's a stat that we are using in conversation with agents / players to demonstrate how impressive our performance was.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, useless said:

Apparently the journalist that has linked us to Fati is quite reliable, Monchi and Fati were at Sevilla together

Maybe he is.

Can he also be as reliable to tell us how we get round triggering a £1b release clause?

Barcelona want rid of Fati, they offered him to Wolves in exchange for Neves, the release will not be a problem, I don't think they usually are in Spanish football, the release clauses are typically very high for some reason, but when the players move they rarely go for the value of the release clause.

• Like 1

I can see them cashing in on Fati

And for all the hype and potential I can actually see us being one the higher end clubs that went for him, as high as his ceiling is I also think his floor is quite low given his injuries and he could slip in to obscurity

Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up somewhere like West Ham

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Barcelona want rid of Fati, they offered him to Wolves in exchange for Neves, the release will not be a problem, I don't think they usually are in Spanish football, the release clauses are typically very high for some reason, but when the players move they rarely go for the value of the release clause.

Might be totally wrong here...

Its a spanish rule that they have to have them so it's not reflective of their value it's just some guff they have to put in

I also think there is some rough tie to wages so for example if you pay someone £1,000 a week the buy out can't be £1bn, there's some sort of protection from being underpaid

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Might be totally wrong here...

Its a spanish rule that they have to have them so it's not reflective of their value it's just some guff they have to put in

I also think there is some rough tie to wages so for example if you pay someone £1,000 a week the buy out can't be £1bn, there's some sort of protection from being underpaid

Pretty much. Messi's was something that a large country would struggle to pay for, let alone a football club.

I think we'll sign either Torres or Johnson for sure, and possibly swap Digne out for someone else. Not sure we'll get a RB/CB.