Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

3 minutes ago, useless said:

My Tuesday 25th July message casting doubt on Pubill link

The very highly rated Ivan Fresneda always seemed more likely to me

The majority of fresneda stories seem to be him saying no to Dortmund or Milan or arsenal because he wants to go to barca

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Just like Felix  Emery seems to have had him on his radar from day 1. If he sees something in him then i trust his judgement. 

I mean, yeah, we all trust in Emery, but not without a rationale. 

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

We have a second choice Keeper.

It's not so black and white. It's not a matter of whether or not -- it's a matter of how skilled in Emeryball our second keeper is whilst we're racing for the CL should Martinez be out for whatever reason. All it takes is one badly timed Martinez red card for us to lose critical matches. We have an abundance of mid-fielders and forwards and CBs. Don't we want to be shoring up manifestly weak spots? This doens't seem "bad day at the office." This is a huge blunder: 

1 hour ago, obanken said:

I think we have come a long way when we are discussing about our reserve keeper being our weak link. 

There always seem to be a fall guy amongst the fans though, but I’m sure it’s like that at all clubs. The fans want their team to improve and changing a player is an easy solution.

I guess, but I don't think it's that simple. Fall guy = scapegoat = unfairly maligned. Not sure matters of fairness really come into it when you're looking at a keeper who doesn't seem to have the skills set we need. 

18 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Felix to Villa on loan and Duran out on Loan would be the nice end to the window

If the price is right ... it's a big if.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

The way we play, we look like we will score goals from all over the pitch but for the tougher games, we still look short of forward thinking players.  Diaby, Watkins are definite starters but beyond that we have Bailey, Archer and Duran, who are all a bit of a risk.  Really hope we grab another wide/central forward to boost the numbers. 

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Hey, you may be right. But where's the evidence?  That's all I'm after. We need evidence, don't we? Just because someone played for Barça or Man City -- I know you realise -- surely isn't enough. We're not silly enough to fall for that sort of brand allure, I know. Not saying he might not be great, but I'm not seeing any persuasive arguments for Ferran Torres other than where he played and that Emery apparently admires him. 

Well I guess the best way to look at it is who does he replace in our squad? Probably Archer or Duran?

Is he a massive upgrade on either of them?  Yes 100%.

Could there be better options? Yes there always is.

Is he one of the better ones in our price range and ones that would come to us - matter of opinion but I think so.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Our main issue will be teams that sit back and won't allow us to counter.

Breaking down those teams has been our problem for a long while.

I've actually seen shoots of evidence that we can even carve through those teams in this pre season.

Well moreso than last season, at least.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Well I guess the best way to look at it is who does he replace in our squad? Probably Archer or Duran?

Is he a massive upgrade on either of them?  Yes 100%.

Could there be better options? Yes there always is.

Is he one of the better ones in our price range and ones that would come to us - matter of opinion but I think so.

I hear you. Much depends on the price, I suppose? Archer scored 11 second division goals last year (it's not nothing), and he's came very close a few times in this summer series. Look, I'm all for upgrading if there's a great option, but where are you getting the "massive upgrade" from? 

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

🤔 so Pubill not happening neither is Torres according to reports, so leaves Doku & Felix or someone totally out the blue who we haven't been linked with.

Samuel Iling-Junior? Links to him have popped up a couple times this summer. 

LW/CF Amine Gouiri, AM Mohammed Kudus (or Rayan Cherki), DM/RB/CB Lutsharel Geertruida and a backup keeper….bosh, done

Would have added Ugochukwu in there but that ship has sailed (screw you Chelsea)