Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

5 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I think bringing in Alvarez annoyed him.

Probably but he wasn't playing consistently the season before Alvarez was signed and barely at all his last half a season. 

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

It could well be this… if a deal is close to being agreed. They want 30m straight up, we’ve offered 20m + 10m in add ons…. 25m done deal?

Could well be, be a great bit of business much like the rest of our business this summer.

5 hours ago, QldVilla said:

You can’t judge the players too harshly on performances, as most likely having two sessions a day plus friendly’s, they will be tired after 10 days in USA.

+ a mid day kick off in the sun on what I'm sure someone had said is a renowned bad nfl pitch

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah… I have to say… I’m surprised at how much and how many people are reading into relatively early preseason friendlies in sweltering heat… I think, because he has done so remarkably well, Unai has raised expectations at every level or in every aspect… we need to be a bit more reasonable and level headed…

Writing players off after a few minutes of football too… for example, Leon’s just returned and some are already clamouring for his sale!

Criticism of Kamara who has largely been exceptional for us… isn’t a player allowed a touch of sluggishness and a break… preseason is about working that off and getting back into the swing of things…

Many of us don’t share that view but a lot of people seem to be doing a lot of complaining.

The Lazio and Valencia games will tell us much more…

It’s been more about getting the fitness and sharpness right, working on things and working that rust off… get the sloppiness out of the system before the real games begin… I think people are being quite harsh on our players at a relatively unimportant or even insignificant time…

Need a more chilled approach…

I don’t get the impression that Unai is concerned or upset at all… certainly doesn’t convey that from his post match interviews. It’s all part of the plan… he’s used to it…

It's mental how much weight some put on these friendlies.... Winning isn't even a priority! although it doesn't mean it isn't nice to win.

I usually try and refrain from too much preseason VT engagement. I'm getting bored though and the season has started yet 😅

15 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Yes and No.

Unai is clearly an incredible coach and manager, being able to elevate the players.

BUT - it's those players that are playing at that level. Them under-performing previously could be just as likely down to the previous managers' lack of ability.

Gerrard coaching this lot was like Mr Blobby driving a Formula 1 car. You couldn't blame the car for not winning any races.

Don't make Blobby angry! 

image.jpeg.673dbcc2933e8117afb70baff89e7f23.jpeg Feature: 25 years ago at Pleasurewood Hills :D

11 hours ago, Jas10 said:

It could well be this… if a deal is close to being agreed. They want 30m straight up, we’ve offered 20m + 10m in add ons…. 25m done deal?

Did they not pay 50m for him last season.  Why would they accept so little in comparison?

37 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Did they not pay 50m for him last season.  Why would they accept so little in comparison?

35 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Depends how desperate they are to get rid of him.

10 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Wouldn’t think they would be 30m desperate 

They are in crazy debt… and still owe City around 40m.

Need to raise 60m just to clear enough to register players.

Overall debt is something crazy, like over 1 billion.

1 minute ago, useless said:

Based on logic and the choicest media sources I'm expecting us to sign a right-back within the next few weeks, possibly from Spain 🖊️

An U20 right back from Spain looks like a very strong possibility. 

Ferran Torres would be absolutely ridiculous. If we had a starting 3 of Torres, Watkins and Diaby, we'd be laughing. 

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

They are in crazy debt… and still owe City around 40m.

Need to raise 60m just to clear enough to register players.

Overall debt is something crazy, like over 1 billion.

Add on another €1.4 billion for the Camp Nou  Espai Barça project…

Edited by thabucks

Yeah, if that guy on Neil’s pod was correct, it’s probably a young Spanish fullback who’s coming in… rather than a “big” signing at this point… maybe..

Probably more chance of that happening toward the end of the window, as Unai mentioned we would be “ready” to act at that point… constantly monitoring the market…

5 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

It's mental how much weight some put on these friendlies.... Winning isn't even a priority! although it doesn't mean it isn't nice to win.

I usually try and refrain from too much preseason VT engagement. I'm getting bored though and the season has started yet 😅

As much as I like to see Villa winning (gutted a bit with the draw losing the meaning cup lol), but still I liked the mistakes we’ve done against Newcastle, I’ve liked the fact we drew to Brentford with trying new tactic. You don’t want teams to figure you out early on. Shipping all these goals makes it easier for Unai to explain to the team, last team we shipped 11 goals in 3 games for our players to start and realize the new approach. Also it gives him more idea on our needs. I liked the fact that Bidace kept starting, wanted to see Kellyman yesterday but hopefully he can have some minutes during the season as well. 

• Like 1