Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Emery said he wants a squad of 25 with 2 players for every position and some young players who can help us also. He also said Chambers will be used more as RB and CDM than CB this season. 

So we've got and some players can play multiple positions too

LB - Moreno / Digne

CB - Pau / Mings

CB - Konsa / Carlos

RB - Cash / Chambers

RM - Ramsey / Coutinho

CM - Kamara / Dendonker

CM - Luiz / Tielemans

LM -  Diaby / Bailey

AMC - McGinn / Buendia

Striker - Watkins / 

Then young players I think will stay around this season are Sinisalo, Philogene, Archer & Duran.

Players who will leave but are in senior squad. Hause, Davis and Traore.

So if we sign a Striker we won't be keeping 4 around so one of Archer / Duran would go on Loan

If we sign a RB Chambers would leave, CM then Dendonker would leave. If we signed someone like Johnson or Torres there would be options, like a Striker going on Loan or one of Bailey/Coutinho leaving.

If Watkins or Martinez get injured we're in a lot of trouble this season.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Big mistake unai

All it takes ia one injury to emi and ills seasons screwed.

Imagine olsen in goal in a cup final? We are practically guaranteed to lose

I agree, I trust Emery but I think this could backfire if true.

6 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Off the top of my head, Man City are the only team that really has a full, first-team squad. By that I mean that there are multiple permutations of a starting XI without any noticeable drop off in quality.

Us Villa fans are barely used to the idea of having 2 good players in one position (see LB for example). Fans would want to sell one and bring in 'cover'. That doesn't build a squad, that builds an XI with contingencies.

Get it right and there should be plenty of games for people to stake a claim to start. We need to be able to tailor the team to beat the opposition in front of us. If we know what the team will be, the opposing coaches certainly will.

Tyrone has welcomed the idea of competition for places. It's how we'll keep improving.

When there is real competition for places it drives standards and training is competitive. The 11 vs 11 have real competitive edge to them in training. Be it CL, EL or ECL teams who play regularly in Europe need a squad full of players the coach can rely upon. 

We also need players who are used to European Competition. Looking at the squad the following are the only players who are having their first taste of Europe. Martinez, Cash, Mings, Konsa, Ramsey, Luiz, McGinn, Buendia, Watkins. 9 players from our 23 senior players. That's good for prep especially as we'd expect quite a few of those to be missing some of the early ECL games.

I think we're really missing a trick not going for mika aaritalo, Gabriel torje, Mark kerr and Michael woods. Got all 3 for like 3 million combined on fm08 and they became world beaters. Shame was I could'nt get a work permit for maxim tsigalko 😢

Edited by Kbdrum88
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Kbdrum88 said:

I think we're really missing a trick not going for mika aaritalo, Gabriel torje, Mark kerr and Michael woods. Got all 3 for like 3 million combined on fm08 and they became world beaters. Shame was I could get a work permit for maxim tsigalko 😢

Fantastic business! 

16 minutes ago, Kbdrum88 said:

I think we're really missing a trick not going for mika aaritalo, Gabriel torje, Mark kerr and Michael woods. Got all 3 for like 3 million combined on fm08 and they became world beaters. Shame was I could get a work permit for maxim tsigalko 😢

fxzR.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Kbdrum88 said:

I think we're really missing a trick not going for mika aaritalo, Gabriel torje, Mark kerr and Michael woods. Got all 3 for like 3 million combined on fm08 and they became world beaters. Shame was I could'nt get a work permit for maxim tsigalko 😢

Or we should just never have released aaritalo 😉

We had another wonderkid on our books called Shane Paul, can't remember which year it was but stats wise he looked a bit like vassell, he was -9 on the old set up and I had some great saves with him, not a clue what happened to him

Did you ever see him @useless

46 minutes ago, Kbdrum88 said:

Mark Kerr was CM01/02. Why must you turn this forum into a HOUSE OF LIES?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Emery said he wants a squad of 25 with 2 players for every position and some young players who can help us also. He also said Chambers will be used more as RB and CDM than CB this season. 

So we've got and some players can play multiple positions too

LB - Moreno / Digne

CB - Pau / Mings

CB - Konsa / Carlos

RB - Cash / Chambers

RM - Ramsey / Coutinho

CM - Kamara / Dendonker

CM - Luiz / Tielemans

LM -  Diaby / Bailey

AMC - McGinn / Buendia

Striker - Watkins / 

Then young players I think will stay around this season are Sinisalo, Philogene, Archer & Duran.

Players who will leave but are in senior squad. Hause, Davis and Traore.

So if we sign a Striker we won't be keeping 4 around so one of Archer / Duran would go on Loan

If we sign a RB Chambers would leave, CM then Dendonker would leave. If we signed someone like Johnson or Torres there would be options, like a Striker going on Loan or one of Bailey/Coutinho leaving.

If Watkins or Martinez get injured we're in a lot of trouble this season.

Sinisalo has signed for Exeter on a season long loan

I never heard of Shane Paul, from wiki looks like he was doing very well at youth level, nine goals in ten for England U17s, top scorer at 2003–04 UEFA Under-17 European Championships, but then injuries hampered his career at senior level

• Like 1

I think it’s near impossible task finding a backup keeper, I don’t think any team will come in with bid for Olsen , Championship is his level but he commands Champions league level wages hence the reason Roma had to loan him out for so long. Bringing another  experienced keeper in and dropping Olsen to no 3 doesn’t make sense financially or in terms of squad harmony. It would be nice if someone came in for him but I think it’s unlikely .

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Big mistake unai

All it takes ia one injury to emi and ills seasons screwed.

Imagine olsen in goal in a cup final? We are practically guaranteed to lose

Unai doesn’t make mistakes…

I’ll even put my concerns about Olsen to one side if Unai has faith in him… maybe he is improving in training… 🙏🤞🙏🤞🙏

Or… maybe we’re just pretending to keep him then sell and replace him later anyway 🤣🤣

He doesn’t HAVE to be truthful about this stuff to the press really…

But na, if Unai thinks he’s fine I think we should get on board and wait and see…

Edited by Jas10

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

Off the top of my head, Man City are the only team that really has a full, first-team squad. By that I mean that there are multiple permutations of a starting XI without any noticeable drop off in quality.

Us Villa fans are barely used to the idea of having 2 good players in one position (see LB for example). Fans would want to sell one and bring in 'cover'. That doesn't build a squad, that builds an XI with contingencies.

Get it right and there should be plenty of games for people to stake a claim to start. We need to be able to tailor the team to beat the opposition in front of us. If we know what the team will be, the opposing coaches certainly will.

Tyrone has welcomed the idea of competition for places. It's how we'll keep improving.

Agreed… competition > cover…

It’s good to have high potential, young “up and comers” too, to eventually succeed the established first teamers, especially those nearing or in their thirties…

Hungry and energetic players coming off the bench rather than those that are past it, have little to offer and don’t make much of an impact.

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Agreed… competition > cover…

It’s good to have high potential, young “up and comers” too, to eventually succeed the established first teamers, especially those nearing or in their thirties…

Hungry and energetic players coming off the bench rather than those that are past it, have little to offer and don’t make much of an impact.

Ultimately Unai will be working with a squad where everyone has something to offer. Players won't be getting any game time if they don't impress the Don.