Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

I wonder if we could sign Yáser Asprilla as friend for Duran, when we sign a player we often then sign another that they already know or have played with before.

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don’t think he can. Definitely not better than Archer in that aspect. Regarding Man City, their squad is good yet they give proper chances. I’d pretty much go with Archer as a second striker than getting the likes of Rodrigo. Our striker should be one that would overtake Watkins and that could/shouldn’t be done this summer. Torres is the most sensible signing as he could be relied at as a striker while his main position is different. 
I want Doku, but he’s not the wisest signijg, but a gamble which if we don’t take we might never get him. Would I be happy with Doku and Archer as a second striker? Yes, but would require keeping Duran as well. 
Getting Doku and Torres on loan? Perfect.

It's one thing giving chances to youth, it's another to have the fate of the team reliant on them producing. But again, I don't think that's strictly true any more, not least because we don't only have 1 winger now, and Bailey can also fill in up front if we have an injury.

Someone else talked about having a versatile squad, and I think it's where we are headed.

56 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Devils advocate... Watkins was brought in by Deano as he wanted a striker who could run the channels and go across the front line. 

Emery has told Watkins he wants a striker to stay between the 18 yard box. Primarily as a finisher. This role seems to suit Archer more than Watkins - there's no question who the better finisher is.

I'm really interested to see how this position is selected through the season.

Archer can finish, that’s not in doubt but it’s the other aspects of leading the line that Watkins excels in, physicality, playing with your back to goal, anticipation etc - this is where Archer needs to prove himself as well as sticking the ball in the net 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

really liked what I saw of Gnonto last season. Def could be an option for squad rotation

Isn't he another Elphick sized player!? With Diaby, Buendia, him, Coutinho and McGinn in the team we'll be replicating the Mike Walker era Everton side of midgets.

18 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Odds for Gnonto joining Villa massively dropped so someone/people must have lumped on 

Weren't we short priced favourites to sign Barnes a month or so ago?

2 hours ago, rubberman said:

And how do you propose they get proven at this level without giving them the chance? We're not going to loan to a PL team. 

If the coaching team think they are ready/good enough then that's fine by me. 

I don't disagree 

2 hours ago, rubberman said:

And how do you propose they get proven at this level without giving them the chance? We're not going to loan to a PL team. 

If the coaching team think they are ready/good enough then that's fine by me. 

I think the point is we should be looking to give them the best chance of succeeding.  For me that means bringing in another goalscorer so that Archer isn't under immediate pressure to be our main goal threat after Ollie.  If we can bring Archer on with support from say a Ferran Torres and Diaby then he's got more scope for scuffing a couple of shots and it not making a difference to the match result.  He's also more likely to be provided with more chances when he is on the pitch and have more time and space because defenders are worrying about other players.  And that doesn't even count the fact that hopefully with a really good front 3 we can be 2-0 or 3-0 up with 20 minutes left and bring on Archer to try and add further damage whilst being under almost no pressure.  The more games we can control the easier it will be to blood some of our younger prospects outside of a "sink or swim" approach.  Phase them in gently/slowly and then if / when they start producing to the level we all hope they will reach - then they'll start giving Unai some selection headaches.  It could be that that is Match 1 - it might be Match 10 or Match 20.  The point is by strengthening our attack if it is Match 20 then we're in a much better position to be able to deal with and manage that.  Otherwise the risk (however big or small we think it might be) is that we're one bad challenge, muscle pull away from having that luxury removed and needing players to perform within their first three or four appearances.

21 minutes ago, allani said:

Ok - Villa scored 51 goals last season - the fewest of any team in the top half of the table. 

Already ridiculous rebuttal. How many did we score in Emery 25 games and what was that relative to form table last 25

19 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Heaven forbid we sign someone who can only make the bench for the Champions of Spain, the Champions of England and the Spanish national team. 

First. World. Problems.

Heh, you were warned, my job here is done.

23 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Already ridiculous rebuttal. How many did we score in Emery 25 games and what was that relative to form table last 25

40 scored 26 conceded. Full season equivalent of 61 and 40. Would have been 7th best attack and 3rd best defence last season.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Do this for other teams. Haaland Kane etc etc

You’re comparing an Argentinian WC winner in Alvarez and a Brazilian #9 with 20 in 42 games to Archer & Duran ?