Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

15 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I'd agree prefer Sancho over Barnes. Similar transfer values mooted, although the wages are a huge difference.

Sancho has a problem at Man U as they're set up to play with Rashford on the left, who is a different type of player. He has had some injury issues which has meant that when he has built up form and started playing well that momentum has been checked. 

For me the problem with Sancho is injuries may be a concern.

Don't think we're in for either Sancho or Barnes but Barnes will cost about 30m and Sancho about 50m to anybody who does buy them. Plus Barnes would be on about a third of the wages of Sancho. Similar players only Barnes has better stats than Sancho in the PL playing for a far worse team 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, picicata said:

Don't think we're in for either Sancho or Barnes but Barnes will cost about 30m and Sancho about 50m to anybody who does buy them. Plus Barnes would be on about a third of the wages of Sancho. Similar players only Barnes has better stats than Sancho in the PL playing for a far worse team 

Sancho's style of play suits us better if believe, also Sancho has a higher ceiling. Finally Barnes has been quoted in the press at costing 40 to 50 million, which is similar to what Man U would accept for Sancho. I agree wages are an issue. Villa won't pay 300k a week and nor should we. However do you really think Barnes wages will be low. I expect he'll be asking for at least 150k per week.

7 minutes ago, picicata said:

You don't know this for sure.

If we want to move on, including having European football to deal with, we need players like this and I'm sure Emery and the owners know that too. So no one knows our buying strategy for the season coming, might be in the region of £150 Mill, including some biggies, might not.

https://www-marca-com.translate.goog/futbol/athletic/2023/06/14/648865a046163fb3bd8b463d.html

«The Aston Villa coach has as a priority the signing of the Athletic winger, who would charge more than double what they offer him in Bilbao»

Emery, determined to sign Nico Williams: 50 million costs his clause

The Aston Villa coach has as a priority the signing of the Athletic winger, who would charge more than double what they offer him in Bilbao

Nico Williams, during a match with Athletic this season RICARDO LARREINA

Nico Williams is the number 1 target for Unai Emery's Aston Villa. The Athletic winger, whose contract ends in 2024, has a release clause of 50 million euros and the English club is willing to spend the rest to sign Nico this summer.

Emery already wanted to take Nico Williams with him in the winter market, but the Spanish international preferred to wait until the end of the season to make a decision about his future. The youngest of the Williams has a renewal offer from Athletic on the table, but he seems closer to packing his bags for the Premier and leaving for Aston Villa than renewing with his team of a lifetime.

And it is that the offer to the footballer by Aston Villa is around 7 million euros per year, a figure well above what an Athletic can offer him that has not renewed Íñigo Martínez but did do so with Oihan Sancet, another of the key footballers for the Bilbao entity and whose contract extension became official after the match in San Mamés against Getafe.

Edited by villa82

I've seen Williams a few times this season, he seems raw but a clear major talent. I guess all wingers are a bit hot and cold at times.

I'd describe him as similar to Leao at Milan. Really pacy, wants to get forward, really good player. 

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I've seen Williams a few times this season, he seems raw but a clear major talent. I guess all wingers are a bit hot and cold at times.

I'd describe him as similar to Leao at Milan. Really pacy, wants to get forward, really good player. 

Yes very raw, would hopefully improve with Emery's coaching. He would take time to adapt though.

He's the type of right footed winger I think we are after / need

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

You don't know this for sure.

If we want to move on, including having European football to deal with, we need players like this and I'm sure Emery and the owners know that too. So no one knows our buying strategy for the season coming, might be in the region of £150 Mill, including some biggies, might not.

We do.  The Sancho link was made up by a bullshit journalist who has no idea who we are going to sign.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We do.  The Sancho link was made up by a bullshit journalist who has no idea who we are going to sign.

A football insider journo, IIRC? 

He's on 350k a week - chances of it happening are tiny at best. BUT, it got a lot of people taking, engaging and commenting, so his work is done. 

Sancho cost £73m and has 3 years left on contract. So remaining book value is £43.8m so any sale over than United book a profit. His salary demands mean we cannot sign him though. So it's not a player who would be on our shortlist at all

21 minutes ago, lexicon said:

A football insider journo, IIRC? 

He's on 350k a week - chances of it happening are tiny at best. BUT, it got a lot of people taking, engaging and commenting, so his work is done. 

Not even Football Insider. Some guy with his own website promoting his tweets that a quick peruse of shows he knows nothing

I'm saying we'll confirm the signing of Nico Williams today.

Is a poorly kept secret that we tried to sign him in January. We don't do leaks.  The increase in news today suggests something might be very close.

It's the kind of thing that only happens when we actually are close. 

So I'm thinking Nico Williams is signing today. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

I'm saying we'll confirm the signing of Nico Williams today.

Is a poorly kept secret that we tried to sign him in January. We don't do leaks.  The increase in news today suggests something might be very close.

It's the kind of thing that only happens when we actually are close. 

So I'm thinking Nico Williams is signing today. 

On a Wednesday?