Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

3 hours ago, burchy said:

Underwhelmed o’clock

it's funny that we are now turning our noses at possibly signing an Argentine international. (Not having a go at you per say, but just shows how much we've come)

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Very good point. 

On the point of Lo Celso. I don’t remember Salah and De Bruyne pulling up any trees in their first spells in England. Not saying Lo Celso will get anywhere near that level, just that he’ll have matured as a player and an individual and the Argentinian coach rates him a lot. 

& Emery clearly does if he has signed him twice 

52 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Was Lo Celso even that bad for Spurs? I can't say I remember him too much for them either way - which maybe is a problem in itself - but purely going off his underlying numbers they're pretty good in terms of being an all-round midfielder with a lot of progressive passing, tackles etc, and then needless to say Emery was a fan at Villarreal being that he brought him in on loan twice. Can also play in a number of midfield positions as well which doesn't hurt, our current issues with numbers in the squad show how helpful a player like that can be at times.

I dunno, maybe not an exciting one on paper but I can certainly see the logic, and as is the going line now if Emery wanted it then that's all I need to know to be on board.

No he wasn't that bad IMO. Very classy player.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 3

Lo Celso has bags of technical quality and can play several MF positions.  He's only 27 as well- in his prime.  Honestly we could sign both him AND Guendouzi for the price of Gonclaves.  I'd rather sign 2 MF players and sell Donk/Nakamba/Sanson/etc.

Sell 3-4 squad MF players and sign 2 MF players + bring in 1-2 of our youth (Tim/Ramsey) to compete for 1st11/squad places

Sell 1-2 squad D players and sign 1 D player (I think we sell Digne and acquire a younger FB personally, or upgrade Cash, etc)

Sell/loan 1-2 squad F/W players and sign 1 F/W player + bring in youth to compete for 1st11/squad (sign big money F/W and bring up Archer)

My 2 cents.  UTV 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Very good point. 

On the point of Lo Celso. I don’t remember Salah and De Bruyne pulling up any trees in their first spells in England. Not saying Lo Celso will get anywhere near that level, just that he’ll have matured as a player and an individual and the Argentinian coach rates him a lot. 

Some players just need the right coach it’s evident in the improvement of our own players under Emery. Heck Guardiola had people talking up Sterling as one of the best players in the world at one point look at him now.

This Castellanos guy who's scored four v Real Madrid....

Seems Girona picked him up from New York City so we'll have to deal with Man. City and their buyback clauses no doubt but didn't impact on us with Doug in the long run.

24 year old Argentine so will probably be breaking into their squad next six months.

Had scored 7 in La Liga before tonight so 11 so far in debut season in europe is pretty good so one to watch I think.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

This Castellanos guy who's scored four v Real Madrid....

Seems Girona picked him up from New York City so we'll have to deal with Man. City and their buyback clauses no doubt but didn't impact on us with Doug in the long run.

24 year old Argentine so will probably be breaking into their squad next six months.

Had scored 7 in La Liga before tonight so 11 so far in debut season in europe is pretty good so one to watch I think.

He's on a loan from new York. They tried to offer him for 12 million in the summer but had no takers ( youngest player to score 50 msl goals) so loaned him out to attack and get more money for him with the added exposure of playing in Europe.

I read that at 2am this morning 

• Thanks 1

I am so excited for the transfer window.

I like us signing people I haven’t heard of, Moreno and Duran are far more interesting than Digne and Coutinho.

Would love us to sign a mix of youth from the championship and big European signings, so some of these please, I know it’s football manager dream land.

Youth:

CM Alex Scott (Bristol) £25 mil

LB Dennis Cirkin (Sunderland) £15 mil

ST Miles Leaburn (Charlton) £8 mil

CB Jacob Greaves (Hull) £10 mil

Total: £58 mil

Europe:

MD Matteo Gunedouzi (Marseille) £30 mil

WI Nico Williams (Bilbao) £40 mil

AM Pedro Goncalves (Sporting) £40 mil

CB Facundo Medina (Lens) £30 mil

RB Aaron Wan-Bissaka (United) £30 mil

Total: £170 mil

Overall Total: £228 mil 😂

Obviously that isn’t happening but I can dream. I do think the Europe set of positions is what we will sign though. 

On the outs I think we’ll get about £40 mil from some of these:

Sanson

Wesley

Hause

Davis

Traore or Bailey

Coutinho?

Chambers?

Philogene-Bidace?

I think we'll be banking some decent profits on players sold. 

Traore, Nakamba, Davis & Sanson. I think Hause who has 2 years left on his contract will likely go on loan again as he's lost a season.  

I feel Chambers will be sold too. Carlos fit means he's 4th choice CB next season and we really should look to add that RCB/RB type player who can be a starter in either position. Dendoncker is ahead of him as the CDM backup who can drop in to make an additional CB. 

In terms of attacking talent we need another striker as we're totally dependent on Watkins. So need a 2nd CF to play with him or in place of him. We need that winger that Bailey isn't turning out to be. While we need a right footed all rounder like McGinn (Guendouzi / Gallagher). 

What that means for the rest of the squad players like young prospects or likes of Coutinho/Bailey depends on European football or not.

1 hour ago, Nicho said:

I like us signing people I haven’t heard of, Moreno and Duran are far more interesting than Digne and Coutinho.

Would love us to sign a mix of youth from the championship and big European signings, so some of these please, I know it’s football manager dream land.

Youth:

Europe:

Obviously that isn’t happening but I can dream. I do think the Europe set of positions is what we will sign though. 

Sanson

Wesley

Hause

Davis

Traore or Bailey

Coutinho?

Chambers?

Philogene-Bidace?

Its very difficult to get quality players to be squad fillers, so Chambers might be a good utility player to stick around.

It depends what offers come in, before we decide who to sell......The squad is already painfully thin.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TRO said:

It’s very difficult to get quality players to be squad fillers, so Chambers might be a good utility player to stick around.

He’s homegrown as well

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicho said:

Youth:

Europe:

Sanson

Wesley

Hause

Davis

Traore or Bailey

Coutinho?

Chambers?

Philogene-Bidace?

I would also keep Chambers and I don’t think we’ll get anywhere near 40 mill for that lot.

30 minutes ago, burchy said:

Lo Celso nailed on then

Argentine World Cup squad at Positions of Need, excluding keeper, obviously

RB

• Nahuel Molina (Atleti) - 25
  • Juan Foyth (Villareal❗️) - 25 
  • Gonzalo Montiel (Sevilla) - 26

CB

• No realistic options under 30

Midfield

• Giovanni Lo Celso (Villareal❗️) - 27
  • Rodrigo De Paul (Atleti) - 29
  • Guido Rodriguez (Betis) - 29
  • Leandro Paredes (Juve) - 29

Striker

• Paolo Dybala (Roma) - 29
  • Lautaro Martinez (Inter) - 25

I think both strikers are very unlikely. Though Spurs have just been linked to Lautaro Martinez, so included anyway.

Foyth and Lo Celso stand out as Villareal players. De Paul would still be a coup at 29 and we've shown interest before allegedly, though can't see it still

Edited by HalfTimePost