Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

58 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Watched him only a couple of times after his Mortal Kombat days, and have to say I've not been impressed. However, if Unai wants him then it's perfectly fine for me. 

This upcoming transfer window will be the easiest one to follow as a fan. Whatever Unai wants I'm totally happy with. Ideally, I'd love us to keep Emi, Mings, Kamara, McGinn, Buendia and Watkins but whatever - Unai knows best. I only hope the decisions about who stays, who goes and who's brought in would be in the club's hands, i.e. no unexpected transfer requests, etc. 

Beyond that - whoever they get I'll happily support. Unai knows. 

What VT reads into that is that you want to get rid of JJ at all costs - how very dare you

• Haha 1

I think we will have the budget for one or two punts.

Kang-In for £18 mil sits in that range for me, he’s got good stats but not extortionate, if it works we’ve got a young Korean winger who will attract fans if not we’d get close to that amount back and still have had some Koreans take notice of us. 

The Kang-In rumour doesn't make sense to me. We need a player with the quality to command the right winger / wing forward role. From what I can see Unai's requirements are pace, trickery, and goals. Kang-In seems to only have the trickery. Nico Williams on the other hand makes perfect sense as he has all three.

If we sign a right winger in Williams' mould then a right back that can play centre back and is a proper technical ball player would probably also be sought.

So the first team would look like:

Martinez 

defensive RB  Konsa  Mings  Moreno 

Kamara         Luiz 

McGinn                           Ramsey   

Williams                   

Watkins 

The width on the left provided be Moreno, the width on the right by Williams. McGinn playing as a 8 that helps the right fullback. Ramsey wide midfielder.

On the flipside if we did sign someone like Kang-In. Namely a skillful hard worker, that protects his fullback well, then a right back like Dumfries would be perfect for the overlap. This would then suggest a pacy number 10 would be sought also (Goncalves maybe?).

In this scenario the first team would be:

Martinez 

Dumfries     Konsa     Mings     Moreno 

Kamara   Luiz

Kang-In/McGinn         Ramsey/Buendia

Goncalves 

Watkins 

The width primarily provided by the fullbacks, the wide midfielders helping to cover the fullbacks out of possession, and supporting the forwards when in  possession. Goncalves occupying the opposition DM out of possession, and being free to drift around and find the space between midfield and defense when in possession.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

I can't see us buying anyone from the PL unless it's from Chelsea's basement bucket 

We're actually in a decent position, as we don't really need to get rid of any deadwood, Emery did it all in January.  We just have to add quality to the squad.

18 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The reality is we aren’t going to spend big money again on players in this league. We could probably sign two or three wingers from Spain for what Forest would demand for Brennan and Arsenal for ESR. We’ve moved on from that. 

Have we?  We literally have no idea what Emery and the board will do.  I tend to agree about going abroad but we have no clue what we are going to do.  

This is the first summer window for Emery, rumours are we going big, we don’t know whether we will be in Europe and we don’t who is available.  

I think the reality is likely we’ll look abroad given Emery’s knowledge and there being better value for money but if the right deal comes along we don’t know what Emery or the board will do.  

They may view less risk of paying a premium for somebody with PL experience, local knowledge, non-language issues and settled in the area ie Brennan or Maddison.  I’m not suggesting we should go for them but “moved on” doesn’t make sense.  

Emery will have players that will fit his system and depending on budget, availability and many dozens of factors will make a choice and yes that seems to suggest players with non-English tax but it wouldn’t surprise me either way because we haven’t had a major summer transfer window with him before and we don’t know what the board want to do or who is available.  I think ruling anything out is a bit premature imo.

• Like 1

I put this on the manager thread but I thought it was worth putting here so people can make more informed decisions on their player suggestions.

it is a video on our formation over the last half season

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Have we?  We literally have no idea what Emery and the board will do.  I tend to agree about going abroad but we have no clue what we are going to do.  

This is the first summer window for Emery, rumours are we going big, we don’t know whether we will be in Europe and we don’t who is available.  

I think the reality is likely we’ll look abroad given Emery’s knowledge and there being better value for money but if the right deal comes along we don’t know what Emery or the board will do.  

They may view less risk of paying a premium for somebody with PL experience, local knowledge, non-language issues and settled in the area ie Brennan or Maddison.  I’m not suggesting we should go for them but “moved on” doesn’t make sense.  

Emery will have players that will fit his system and depending on budget, availability and many dozens of factors will make a choice and yes that seems to suggest players with non-English tax but it wouldn’t surprise me either way because we haven’t had a major summer transfer window with him before and we don’t know what the board want to do or who is available.  I think ruling anything out is a bit premature imo.

We found a bargain in Moreno - I think we expect similar deals. Forest would expect a big fee for Brennan, which I'm not against, but I don't know if he replaces Emi in the 10 role. The likes of Kang In Lee can play across the wings however. 

I agree that we could. I just don't think we are going to repeat previous mistakes. Either way, I totally trust Unai in the summer. 

3 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Not seen anything other than skysports putting athletico and barca forward as possible places ? Others name Liverpool man ure West ham Leeds. So I would guess no one knows apart from the club and player

Leeds😂😂

Its quite cute 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

The Kang-In rumour doesn't make sense to me. We need a player with the quality to command the right winger / wing forward role. From what I can see Unai's requirements are pace, trickery, and goals. Kang-In seems to only have the trickery. Nico Williams on the other hand makes perfect sense as he has all three.

If we sign a right winger in Williams' mould then a right back that can play centre back and is a proper technical ball player would probably also be sought.

Martinez 

Kamara         Luiz 

Williams                   

Watkins 

The width on the left provided be Moreno, the width on the right by Williams. McGinn playing as a 8 that helps the right fullback. Ramsey wide midfielder.

On the flipside if we did sign someone like Kang-In. Namely a skillful hard worker, that protects his fullback well, then a right back like Dumfries would be perfect for the overlap. This would then suggest a pacy number 10 would be sought also (Goncalves maybe?).

Martinez 

Kamara   Luiz

Goncalves 

Watkins 

The width primarily provided by the fullbacks, the wide midfielders helping to cover the fullbacks out of possession, and supporting the forwards when in  possession. Goncalves occupying the opposition DM out of possession, and being free to drift around and find the space between midfield and defense when in possession.

Lee is mostly played as a 10 for Mallorca and would give Emi some competition. He's naturally left footed and can fizz in a great set piece. He's also very adept out on the wing. He certainly fits the hybrid winger/10 role and scores on the right. With his eye for a pass and dribbling skills he is certainly one that could open up defences and win set pieces in critical areas. He's got a bit of Grealish in him with his dribbling and drawing fouls. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Martinez 

Kamara         Luiz 

Williams                   

Watkins 

Martinez 

Kamara   Luiz

Goncalves 

Watkins 

I know Kang in is deployed on the flank at Mallorca but he’s a Buendia, Coutinho type player and I imagine he’d come in as competition for them if links are true.

Just now, gwi1890 said:

I know Kang in is deployed on the flank at Mallorca but he’s a Buendia, Coutinho type player and I imagine he’d come in as competition for them if links are true.

Especially if we sell Countinho 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

We found a bargain in Moreno - I think we expect similar deals. Forest would expect a big fee for Brennan, which I'm not against, but I don't know if he replaces Emi in the 10 role. The likes of Kang In Lee can play across the wings however. 

I agree that we could. I just don't think we are going to repeat previous mistakes. Either way, I totally trust Unai in the summer. 

Great, the whole summer plan is based off Moreno deal.  Does selling Ings mean we are going to sell all English players we have, of course not!  One deal doesn’t show a transfer strategy, it just shows that Emery wanted that player.

Previous mistakes like buying Ollie, Dougie, Mings, Konsa, Martinez or successes like Wes, Sanson and Guilbert.  I’m just being flippant there but there are successes on both sides of English experience vs non-English experience and failures on both sides too.

I trust in Emery but we don’t know what he’s going to do and thus I don’t think speculating he’s going to rule out one route of transfers makes sense because we don’t have the data to back that up to make that assessment.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We're actually in a decent position, as we don't really need to get rid of any deadwood

• Digne: £160k per week
  • Coutinho: £120k per week
  • Bailey: £100k per week
  • Dendoncker: £90k per week

I'd try and ship them all to free up those wages.

Source: https://www.spotrac.com/Premier League/aston-villa-fc/payroll/

Just now, juanpabloangel18 said:

Arguably the experience of Digne could be valuable next season if we get Europe. However that weekly wage is nuts so perhaps a cheaper alternative would be ideal.

Personally i'd keep Coutinho and Dendoncker as again we need the experience and numbers if we get Europe.

• Like 3

Obviously our scouts had identified Smith Rowe previously and he’s worked under Emery before, wonder if we’ll go back there? Also I see links to Nelson, there is talent there if fit, so  on a free could be a good shout

7 minutes ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

I heard Digne was £259k tbh, with that £1m appearance bonus 

Edited by The_Steve

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Obviously our scouts had identified Smith Rowe previously and he’s worked under Emery before, wonder if we’ll go back there? Also I see links to Nelson, there is talent there if fit, so  on a free could be a good shout

Emery is actually the one who brought him, Saka and Martinelli through apparently!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Links to him again today, albeit from TalkSport. Wouldn't surprise me at all if we were still interested given previous bids and Emery now being in, though I wouldn't be expecting Arsenal be willing to let him go nor he be in a rush to leave considering it's only an awfully injury-hit season that has stopped him from continuing to be an important part of the team. 

I can't wait for the transfers to properly get started. It's going to be an exciting one I think,  particularly if we get a european spot.

Probably not in quantity terms, but certainly in quality.

• Like 2