Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

6 hours ago, Philosopher said:

But Bailey isn't being used in that way. Bailey is being asked to stay up and be a threat with his pace, which he does have. His teammates have said so themselves.  Buendia is slow so has to play deeper. 

yeah, there's a thought, anyone told him?

I was talking about when he was playing as a winger......but I am not convinced of his pace, anyway...I think its over hyped.

We need an upgrade in the Summer, as a winger and a new striker to partner Ollie.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Bailey had the better previous season and track record

But that's whst scouts are for, diaby is the better player with a higher ceiling

Hard to know if the club ever enquired and got knocked back so went for Bailey instead

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Top 3 for chances created per 90 in PL with Norwich behind De Bruyne and Grealish and 1st for chances created not converted. Players not on his wavelength is the problem. He's been instrumental in our good form under Emery 

Players not on his wavelength lol. Are you talking about our players or the oppositions when he loses the ball?

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But that's whst scouts are for, diaby is the better player with a higher ceiling

Hard to know if the club ever enquired and got knocked back so went for Bailey instead

But Bailey was the better player at the time and Leverkusen had earmarked him for a sale that summer. Its how teams like that work

1 hour ago, burchy said:

Possibly old news but saw it this morning, possible V Sport purchase for Vitória Guimarães?

We arent at the level yet to be sending 25 million players on loan unless its maybe to Turkey 😜

• Like 2

2 hours ago, burchy said:

Possibly old news but saw it this morning, possible V Sport purchase for Vitória Guimarães?

Las Palmas Top of the Segunda division if the increased release clause is true then it won’t be happening.

3 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Las Palmas Top of the Segunda division if the increased release clause is true then it won’t be happening.

Four points separate 1st and 5th. No guarantee they get promoted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

We need an upgrade in the Summer, as a winger and a new striker to partner Ollie.

Assuming Diego Carlos returns as a strong defender capable of top-of-the-table play. If not, we have another problem. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Players in Spain don't have release clauses, they have buyout clauses, as the players are required to buy out their contract.  Even if the increase in his buyout clause is true if they get promoted, and it doubles, it doesn't mean that's how much it would cost for Las Palmas to sell their player.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Players in Spain don't have release clauses, they have buyout clauses, as the players are required to buy out their contract.  Even if the increase in his buyout clause is true if they get promoted, and it doubles, it doesn't mean that's how much it would cost for Las Palmas to sell their player.

This is ultimately semantics isn't it? The buyout clause paid by the player is advanced to them from the buying club, so in essence functions the same as a release clause.

56 minutes ago, Indigo said:

This is ultimately semantics isn't it? The buyout clause paid by the player is advanced to them from the buying club, so in essence functions the same as a release clause.

That was my understanding. Obviously if a player has millions in the bank, and a buying club will only cover a part of it then they could in theory the player could top it up themselves to complete the deal if the

But I'm not sure I see many players moving to clubs that are having to pinch their pennies like that. 

I don't know how you all are feeling, but everything just seems very vulnerable right now. For a club doing well, tied with Chelsea on points in mid-March, it still feels like it could all just fall apart if we don't strengthen our squad massively this summer.

It's never risk-free, but we need bold steps.

I can't see a piecemeal approach doing much for us at this stage. Every time we put off hiring what we really need to compete for Europe, our current squad also grows older and the injury threat expands. If we don't go big this summer, with Emery in place, when will we ever?   

All that said, I do feel like we need to do a better job as a recruiting operation in keeping our cards closer to our chest. We are too leaky. Inevitable with good reporters working their sources and even more inevitable with Twitter liars with "inside" and "ITK" claims on stories, but I feel dismayed every time I see these huge headlines telescoping our scouting efforts. We look like big suckers waiting to be robbed. Is this even controllable at all? I don't know. But own chances on the market might improve if we showed more discipline in how we communicate recruiting needs. Maybe a pie-in-the-sky wish. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

All that said, I do feel like we need to do a better job as a recruiting operation in keeping our cards closer to our chest. We are too leaky.

Wait, what? It’s the one thing I’d say we’ve done well - a lot of our signings come out of nowhere. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

Wait, what? It’s the one thing I’d say we’ve done well - a lot of our signings come out of nowhere. 

Yes ... and no. January is hard, I get that, and we started off well with Moreno, but no question we were also spotted so often in the sweets shop, or at least projected that image. I understand we can't control the liars on Twitter, but I still think we come across, overall, as needy. The truth is, we are needy. But can we use more subterfuge or guile to disguise that a bit? I worry there's a blabbermouth somewhere. Maybe not? But I worry ..

Edited by Marka Ragnos

6 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Players not on his wavelength lol. Are you talking about our players or the oppositions when he loses the ball?

It was a valid point from kiwivillan, last season it was as if we had no idea what Buendia was good at when we had so much information available from the two previous seasons. Then he got unfairly benched for the majority of Gerrards time here. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I don't know how you all are feeling, but everything just seems very vulnerable right now. For a club doing well, tied with Chelsea on points in mid-March, it still feels like it could all just fall apart if we don't strengthen our squad massively this summer.

You could probably say that about every team in the PL outside of Manchester City... 

19 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Yes ... and no. January is hard, I get that, and we started off well with Moreno, but no question we were also spotted so often in the sweets shop, or at least projected that image. I understand we can't control the liars on Twitter, but I still think we come across, overall, as needy. The truth is, we are needy. But can we use more subterfuge or guile to disguise that a bit? I worry there's a blabbermouth somewhere. Maybe not? But I worry ..

I really feel the exact opposite of you. IMO it really seems like NSWE have really shut down leaks with most everyone outside of Percy/Ornstein. And a lot of the other leaks are coming from the selling club's side (especially when we are buying a player from a non-British club, it is usually from a report closer to that club). 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Does it?! Without any changes at all in the Summer I'd be more confident of us getting into Europe than finishing bottom half.

I'd argue the results thus far under Emery (and IMO some of what we saw under previous managers too) show the existing squad already gives us a solid base to be challenging for European places, and that we are more likely to be looking at maybe 2-3 big additions to the first XI than a massive turnover of squad. Exactly what we need now is quality to build and take forward what we have, not quantity and basically starting with our budget spread too thinly.