Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

7 minutes ago, burchy said:

I think for me the winger position itself is a poison chalice, we all expect too much from players out wide. Back in the day if they could cross the ball well and could beat a man and get to byline they’d be classed as a decent winger. Nowadays they’re expected to not only score double figures but assist double figures too. 

For me it’s the clinical finisher that we need more so than a wing wizard. Bailey will do for now as I can see him (injuries permitting) pushing on next year. 

I want us to go big on a striker and buy an up and coming winger in the Summer, a player that can grow with us and become world class.

Some good points there

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If you add all the fees of those players thats a lot of money spent. Close to 100m if you include wages thats over 100m so we are one of the worst for it for a team outside europe

West Ham have spent over 200m on wingers only Bowen had given them a above average return on goals, they’ve spent near 150m on strikers and are still starting Mikel Antonio.

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

West Ham have spent over 200m on wingers only Bowen had given them a above average return on goals, they’ve spent near 150m on strikers and are still starting Mikel Antonio.

Yeah thank **** we aint as bad 

But i did say "one of"

8 minutes ago, burchy said:

I think for me the winger position itself is a poison chalice, we all expect too much from players out wide. Back in the day if they could cross the ball well and could beat a man and get to byline they’d be classed as a decent winger. Nowadays they’re expected to not only score double figures but assist double figures too. 

For me it’s the clinical finisher that we need more so than a wing wizard. Bailey will do for now as I can see him (injuries permitting) pushing on next year. 

I want us to go big on a striker and buy an up and coming winger in the Summer, a player that can grow with us and become world class.

Unai values technically minded players who can shift the ball quickly and dribble. We have pace in the side but the not execution. A clever winger who come short or drift wide, play across the front line is probably what we seek. Hence the links last month. 

I like Bailey. Gets in good positions and can beat a man. He is quick, more footballing vision will come with experience. 

Look at Antony at Man U or Mudryk at Chelsea.

While Antony did something at Ajax he is not great at PL level, Mudryk only played at Shakhtar against nobodies, and with a few CL appearances. 

Both cost crazy money, 3x what we paid for Bailey. 

So if you are to judge the value of Bailey's transfer alone, we did well. 

Heck, I would not be surprised that if we really kick on as a team, he scores 8 goals and gets 5-10 assists, he goes to Spurs or Chelsea for £60m+. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Can’t believe plucky Leeds found this obscure talent capped internationally at just 18 and released by Inter. 

Why do you make so many of your posts pompous? It's not about "finding him" is it. It's about buying him for £3m or whatever. It's incredible work. I wish we'd done it.

Leeds have bought Gnonto and Summerville for £5m in total. We spent over £45m on Traore and Bailey.

If we had a spare £40m knocking about we could have said **** it, you know what Unai, yes we will pay over the odds for Guendouzi now. He's your man and we think he's great as well.

With our resources we should be better at getting value out of the market. I hope big Jhon is the first step towards that. More big Jhons, less Coutinhos and Dignes.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

So is gnoto a goal keeper? Or is he a defender?

Explain that 😂

Your post made absolutely no reference to wingers at all. 

Just because you refer to Gnonto, how are people expected to infer from that you you are specifically talking about the winger position and not Leeds' transfer policy in general??

Even your posts before that didn't lead into talking about the winger position. 

People on these forums are human beings, not Jedi. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Why do you make so many of your posts pompous? It's not about "finding him" is it. It's about buying him for £3m or whatever. It's incredible work. I wish we'd done it.

Leeds have bought Gnonto and Summerville for £5m in total. We spent over £45m on Traore and Bailey.

If we had a spare £40m knocking about we could have said **** it, you know what Unai, yes we will pay over the odds for Guendouzi now. He's your man and we think he's great as well.

With our resources we should be better at getting value out of the market. I hope big Jhon is the first step towards that. More big Jhons, less Coutinhos and Dignes.

Even Duran cost like 20m. Although I still think its a good signing, at that fee its not really unearthing a gem is it? We paid that for Wesley and at the time it seemed like a massive fee.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Even Duran cost like 20m. Although I still think its a good signing, at that fee its not really unearthing a gem is it? We paid that for Wesley and at the time it seemed like a massive fee.

£14m. 

If he turns out to be very good, as a striker that will be unbelievable value given the monster inflation in prices for that position over the last 10 years. 

24 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

You can praise them for good business sure, they found a real bargain. Good for them. 

They’ve spent over £25m on Brendan Aaronson, so it’s pros and cons. They spent over £100m but how many players really shine so far? 

4 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

£14m. 

If he turns out to be very good, as a striker that will be unbelievable value given the monster inflation in prices for that position over the last 10 years. 

Its 14.8 million pounds base with the potential to rise to 23 million. 

Again, still a good deal. But its not like we got him for practically nothing is it?

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

And yet Leeds are managerless and 1 point above relegation. 

Good for them, what about the other 25 transfer duds they've made for every 2 they get right. 

Lets flip your argument to the DM position, where we've got Kamara and Luiz for a combined £15m fee and Leeds have Marc Roca and Tyler Adams who cost £32m.

They've also spent over £20m on a winger with just two league goals in Sinisterra. 

31 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

And yet Leeds are managerless and 1 point above relegation. 

Good for them, what about the other 25 transfer duds they've made for every 2 they get right. 

Lets flip your argument to the DM position, where we've got Kamara and Luiz for a combined £15m fee and Leeds have Marc Roca and Tyler Adams who cost £32m.

Let's do more of this!

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I like Bailey. Gets in good positions and can beat a man. He is quick, more footballing vision will come with experience. 

Look at Antony at Man U or Mudryk at Chelsea.

While Antony did something at Ajax he is not great at PL level, Mudryk only played at Shakhtar against nobodies, and with a few CL appearances. 

Both cost crazy money, 3x what we paid for Bailey. 

So if you are to judge the value of Bailey's transfer alone, we did well. 

Heck, I would not be surprised that if we really kick on as a team, he scores 8 goals and gets 5-10 assists, he goes to Spurs or Chelsea for £60m+. 

Can't really agree on Bailey. He does get in good positions, but he does not beat a man often enough for me, despite his pace. In terms of experience, he's 25 and has played in top leagues - Prem and Bundesliga for 6 years, I don't think he's going to radically improve in terms of vision or application.

He's also very one footed, and doesn't have enough natural finishing ability to be an out and out, or inside forward for me. 

He's OK, but I think we need someone else in the medium term. Or perhaps we play him deeper in the hole between opposition full back and winger and appreciate that he's not gonna get loads of goals and assists.

• Like 1

What about Jeremy Doku from Rennes? His stock seems to have fallen in the past couple of years and isn't a first choice starter under the current manager. He doesn't seem in a rush to sign for a champion's league club and wants to learn his trade first,so might be interested in coming to us to develop under Emery. 

The more I rewatch some of the games, the more I think our defenders are really holding us back from the evolution to Europe.

Not in terms of rear guard defending, we've seen plenty of their ability to do that on away games. And this also doesn't mean we should ship out every defender we have. Injuries and eventual rotation (should we want to go deep in cups and Europe as well) means we will need experienced 3rd and 4th CB's as well - but ball playing CB's to break down teams at home will be very much needed.

6 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

The more I rewatch some of the games, the more I think our defenders are really holding us back from the evolution to Europe.

Not in terms of rear guard defending, we've seen plenty of their ability to do that on away games. And this also doesn't mean we should ship out every defender we have. Injuries and eventual rotation (should we want to go deep in cups and Europe as well) means we will need experienced 3rd and 4th CB's as well - but ball playing CB's to break down teams at home will be very much needed.

Cannot wait for Carlos to return 

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Its 14.8 million pounds base with the potential to rise to 23 million. 

Again, still a good deal. But its not like we got him for practically nothing is it?

In real terms when compared to elite or potentially elite strikers it's nothing.  It's less than Middlesbrough paid for Britt Assombalonga.

A bargain like Gnonto is few and far between now.

Just as the days of going on holiday and paying £2 a pint and £10 for a 3-course meal are gone, so are those of being able to look overseas and sign very good players for a fraction of the price here.

Everyone knows the PL is a heady mix of cash and desperation.

• Like 2