What are the most backwatery of British backwaters?

Marka Ragnos

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

The Darkness v The Troggs in the backwater derby.

Well quite frankly Reg would muller that absolute streak of piss Hawkins in every single round, even now he's been dead ten years (minus 2 days)

On 28/01/2023 at 13:13, His Name Is Death said:

Surely it's got to be places in Lincolnshire like Boston, Spalding, and the aptly-named Grimsby? Not a knock on Lincoln itself, which looks like a fine city.

This is the correct answer.  Boston in particular.

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Living in Skegness I would sometimes pop in to Boston, awful place, as are most of the Lincolnshire towns that arent Lincoln, in my opinion, that said did love living there.

Is that because of the smug sense of satisfaction in knowing that you have at least double the number of active brain cells compared to the surrounding population? :mrgreen: 

(they make up for it in extra toes / fingers)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, picicata said:

The whole of the west coast that is stuck behind the lake district is a backwater both physically and culturally. It feels almost cut off.

Oh God, yeah. Maryport, Workington, Whitehaven. Grim as ****. 

44 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What I have discovered from this thread is that Lincoln has clearly done what Capitals at all levels do and sucked all the wealth away from surrounding towns.

Zoom out a bit more.

Wealth then heads out of the country to tax havens where the bloated, entitled parasites gorge.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bickster said:

Not sure I've ever heard that but I might have to see if I can find it. Sounds interesting.

this seems to be some of it , but no mention of REM on the blurb (Stipe wasn't involved , which is prob why you can't hear his distinctive voice) 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Xann said:

Zoom out a bit more.

Wealth then heads out of the country to tax havens where the bloated, entitled parasites gorge.

Yeah, Lincoln in turn would have had it's true wealth sucked away by London first though.

• 2 months later...
On 01/02/2023 at 20:06, HKP90 said:

Cleobury, the village I live in now has THE best little brewery. Hobsons beers are epic (get some Town Crier, you will not regret it).

used to stop at the chippy in cleobury on the way back from a game in B6. stupid narrow road but nice chips

On 03/02/2023 at 10:10, mjmooney said:

Oh God, yeah. Maryport, Workington, Whitehaven. Grim as ****. 

Yeah, that stretch to the side of the Lakes really is awful. Whitehaven seems to have suffered some sort of extinction event about thirty years ago. Maybe a zombie virus outbreak or something?

Edited by Lichfield Dean

March. The one in Lincolnshire. Depressing place surrounded basically by swamp. I remember driving through and being stared at all the way through by a teddy boy with an Elvis hair cut and three yellow teeth. He was leaning against a Ford Cortina. This was in the late nineties. 

It used to be a place where farm workers lived. It now serves no purpose. 

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

March. The one in Lincolnshire. Depressing place surrounded basically by swamp. I remember driving through and being stared at all the way through by a teddy boy with an Elvis hair cut and three yellow teeth. He was leaning against a Ford Cortina. This was in the late nineties. 

It used to be a place where farm workers lived. It now serves no purpose. 

Not sure if you mean March in Cambridgeshire. For me March and Ely are beautiful little places. Spent time in them both and loved them both equally. 

Â