What are the most backwatery of British backwaters?

Marka Ragnos

55 minutes ago, bickster said:

Doesn't Ludlow have more Michelin Star restaurants than anywhere apart from that London?

It did. Birmingham has more now. I think they actually only had 2 anyway, insane how skewed the Foodie scene is towards London. Well, OK not a suprise really after 60 years of sucking the wealth out of the rest of the country. 

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

It was 5 for sure at one point

Nah, only 3 with stars.  You can still be listed in the guide without stars. 

Still an amazing feat though for such a small town. I think Manchester has only one even now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Nah, only 3 with stars.  You can still be listed in the guide without stars. 

Still an amazing feat though for such a small town. I think Manchester has only one even now. 

It was five. The Five Michelin Starred Restaurants in Ludlow

The Five Michelin Star Restaurants in Ludlow

Michelin’s Red Guide is a restaurant guide with a global reach, and its star system is considered the most reliable international benchmark of excellence in the restaurant industry. The guide offers both an extensive list of restaurants and helpful advice on how to find them, as well as an online reservation service that enables users to book tables at more than 20,000 restaurants worldwide.

In this section, we will explore the five Michelin star restaurants in Ludlow before going into more depth on our dining experience at Mortimers....

• Shocked 1

I think it fluctuated over the years, there seemingly wasn’t any five years ago -

Today, Ludlow has no stars. In comparison, Birmingham had no stars in 2000 and now boasts such starred restaurants as Simpsons, Purnell’s, Adam’s and Carters. Until recently, it had five – with Turner’s, at Harborne, also having a star.

Shropshire Star link

Can’t say I’ve been to any of the current Michelin star restaurants there. But I have grabbed some sustenance from the takeaway shop by the station currently known as “Munchies” after visiting one or two of the pubs in the town.

Guess everyone has their own idea of what a “backwater” is. Personally speaking, when there’s a debate as to whether a location has three or five Michelin star restaurants, I’d probably discount that town from the backwater discussion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Personally speaking, when there’s a debate as to whether a location has three or five Michelin star restaurants, I’d probably discount that town from the backwater discussion.

the-neighborhood-cedric-the-entertainer.

• Like 1

Only Starred restaurant I've eaten in was Adams when it first opened. 

Had a lunchtime menu with extremely limited choices. I really didn't fancy any of the choices as all so just picked the least worst option. 

My god it was fabulous, just tasted amazing.  These Chefs really really do know what they're doing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Friends of mine had the same idea, and did it. As Labour Party supporters they hated it - Tory hotbed. They moved to Skipton in Yorkshire. 

Ah yes, that famously un-Conservative area of North Yorkshire!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Risso said:

Ah yes, that famously un-Conservative area of North Yorkshire!

You're not wrong - I raised an eyebrow myself. But they said that, compared to Ludlow, it was practically Communist! 

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Well that’s it isn’t it, it’s the definition of backwater.

A kid living in The Falklands could potentially be making music in their bedroom that is influencing clubbers in New York. They could be debating trans rights on a messageboard. They could be brewing up the next thing in fruity alcohol fashions.

A backwater might not be geographically backwater anymore. Whereas a whole housing estate in Barrow in Furness or Abderystwyth might be an absolute dead zone for people motivated enough to realise its not for others to provide culture or entertainment.

It’s fuzzier than miles from London these days.

You have made Charlie unhappy.

The forest of dean in Gloucestershire was traditionally seen as  backwater. As in it is hard to get to and was relatively poor area to its neighbours based on small scale coal mining. Lots of old/offensive jokes about 6 fingers and webbed feet.  It is rapidly becoming gentrified though as it is/was cheaper than surrounding areas which are insanely expensive.

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

The forest of dean in Gloucestershire was traditionally seen as  backwater. As in it is hard to get to and was relatively poor area to its neighbours based on small scale coal mining. Lots of old/offensive jokes about 6 fingers and webbed feet. 

The playwright Dennis Potter grew up there, as partially documented in "The Singing Detective". 

Â