The Last of Us (Warning: spoilers for most recent episode openly discussed!!)

Stevo985

4 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Oooft I knew what was coming and it was still painful. 

So well done, no build up just he’s turned and Henry shoots him 

Maybe it hit harder because of my recent news but I cried. 

How do you think I felt? I have a younger brother AND I have an eight year old son 😂

I‘ve also played the game, but none of it stops all of those moments hitting me like an emotional freight train.

Another great episode.

Not quite sure how an exploding truck causes a massive sinkhole however. I guess the tunnels lead there, but I dunno, seems unlikely a house would be built over something not that far beneath the surface. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. 

13 hours ago, Milfner said:

Another great episode.

Not quite sure how an exploding truck causes a massive sinkhole however. I guess the tunnels lead there, but I dunno, seems unlikely a house would be built over something not that far beneath the surface. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. 

a) yes, reading too much into it

b) they did tease that sinkholes were appearing in the previous episode so perhaps the car crash was just the tipping point in this instance, a sinkhole was already there but this helped to just break the surface(?)

Great episode, I was actually surprised it wasn’t made more poignant (a la episode 3), instead it stuck pretty close to the source material. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, El Zen said:

Very well acted, very well written. The treatment of love and human relationships in a world where you have nothing else. It’s just very well made and a story very well told.

Definitely got that HBO gleam hasn't it?

I'd say the writing and the acting, there's a lot of really high quality nuances and facial acting going on, it's really deep at times despite not a lot being said, I like the theme not simply being monsters and bad people being bad, it's not overly gory or use shock as a cheap trick and yet at the same time it showed a kid being shot and a child clicker so I don't think it's scared of anything itself, I'm also not sure if they've done this on purpose but the game is a boundary breaker in terms of accessibility (to be fair all Sony AAA titles are really pushing it) and the show carries that on, listening to the podcast and to paraphrase they made Sam deaf because they didn't want to simply replicate the style of communication between Joel and Ellie, protector adult to child, they wanted something different and it's a great touch, they set it in kansas city because it gave a better time frame than pittburgh because it was further away (as well as KC being an easier to film less indentifiable city) the show in general is really well thought out

I loved the game and it would take an almighty **** up for this not to be great but they're smashing it out of the park, it's exceeding my expectations

• Like 2

On 11/02/2023 at 06:00, TheAuthority said:

Ep 5 - Last 10 mins actually make me question why we watch these programs. 

When I played the game I wasn't a father and now I have 2 boys. Watching this story makes you question what you'd do under similar circumstances and this episode forces you to contemplate the inevitable. 

Ugh - I didn't enjoy that in the slightest.

Yeah, this hit me hard. 

Also the idea of trying to escape with your child breaks my heart. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah, this hit me hard. 

Also the idea of trying to escape with your child breaks my heart. 

Technically it was his brother, but in the circumstances I doubt there would be much difference

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Technically it was his brother, but in the circumstances I doubt there would be much difference

Yeah true. Just the age gap made me compare it to my situation. 

The worry of what happens to them if something happens to you. Of trying to protect them and not mentally and emotionally damage them. 

I thought the writing and both actors portrayed it brilliantly.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Another episode where they introduce and kill off characters in the same 50 minutes. And it's heart breaking. 

I can't remember a show that was able to do that.

You mean Kathleen and her bearded mate?

:trollface:

Even the way Joel pleaded with the sniper was touching, the way PP delivered the "please"

• Like 1

Just trawled through this thread...

Interesting to see allegiances based on the people who played the game; I haven't played the game but I'm enjoying the show.

I like the chemistry between Ellie and Joel. It is better than The Walking Dead, budget, effects etc are highly polished.

As a father of three boys I too share some similar feelings as others here, episode five was bleak. End of the world though is going to be that way one presumes.

Just a note to say people are allowed to criticise it. Certain people aren't interested in Video games, bleak subjects, apocalyptic themes as a result I know heaps of people not watching this. It's fine, no big deal.

Â