Álex Moreno

Delphinho123

17 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

£100m for Grealish to sit on the bench for example

I mean I like this narrative but he’s been pretty clearly their second best player after Haaland this season…

Still not as good as Moreno though :)

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

And a replacement for Moreno won't be as easy as you make it out to be either. It's been years since we've had a fullback in that class, with those attributes.

Short of them offering Sergio Gomez plus cash I’d not entertain it. It’s a huge rumour from an unreliable source anyways. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Their intention when they signed Grealish for 100m wasn't for him to sit on the bench at all though, was it? He's now starting every game, and he wasn't on the bench every game before either.

Ok who pays that sort of money for a back up and give him a year or two to find his feet?  Damaging the opposition is definitely a factor in how they operate. Let’s face it, in our case it definitely worked. My point is, with better recruitment you’d like to think that it wouldn’t work. 

41 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Ok who pays that sort of money for a back up and give him a year or two to find his feet?  Damaging the opposition is definitely a factor in how they operate. Let’s face it, in our case it definitely worked. My point is, with better recruitment you’d like to think that it wouldn’t work. 

Ahhh yes, Man City were fearful of mid table Aston Villa so decided to poach their best player :D 

30 minutes ago, SecretVillaScout said:

What happened to Sergio Gomez?

Pep seemingly has an issue with his attitude or aptitude. Given that Pep has spent a billion alone on full backs the issues are maybe related to him 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Ahhh yes, Man City were fearful of mid table Aston Villa so decided to poach their best player :D 

There was definitely an air of 'keep Villa down' around their targeting us for Barry and Milner when they first won the lottery. After all, we were always ahead of them prior to thar and if my memory serves me right we were the first club they leap frogged in 2009-10 - we lost a game there 3-1 late that season.

I do think there was an element of that at play in 2021 when we looked to be going places again. Also, they didn't want United or another xlub buying Grealish so they did it 

Cannot stand that club.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Pep and Txiki or whatever his name is were obsessed with Grealish for ages. Paying 100m was nothing to do with wanting to weaken us. They were desperate for him, he's a very rare talent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

And a replacement for Moreno won't be as easy as you make it out to be either. It's been years since we've had a fullback in that class, with those attributes.

We've also never had the likes of Alemany and Emery to recruit / attract players of that class or better.  We've got access to markets we've not been able to exploit before.  I'm having a hard time processing anything at the moment but I think we'll see some superb players arriving at the club over the next couple of seasons but hopefully with the added benefit that they won't be seeing us just as a stepping stone to the next level.  If we can be finding better talent than say Brighton and not having to sell them after a couple of seasons then that's how we can get to go "toe to toe" with the Sly 6.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Pep and Txiki or whatever his name is were obsessed with Grealish for ages. Paying 100m was nothing to do with wanting to weaken us. They were desperate for him, he's a very rare talent.

Pep hates to lose the ball. Jack probably loses the ball less than any other winger on the planet. Thats where they would have made the decision i guess. He cannot shoot to save his life . But he can pass and hold on to a ball like few others. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

I get your point, but I would say that in most businesses you don't give even your smaller rivals anything, because they might be where you are in 10 years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I mean I like this narrative but he’s been pretty clearly their second best player after Haaland this season…

Still not as good as Moreno though :)

Clearly better than KDB?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

We’d done well the season before and were a club on the up. We went to pieces without Grealish. The amount of money they spend is beyond ridiculous and so the strategy worked and has probably held us back for a couple of years. The money is more or less an  irrelevance to them.

Â