Álex Moreno

Delphinho123

57 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'm just thinking if we can shift Digne and go out and buy an even better left back than Moreno then it's a strong position to be in. 

Digne is going nowhere mate. We are sorted for left backs. 

• Like 1

The trainers let him walk off the pitch when he could have hopped on one leg with assistance or been stretchered off.

Another situation where the trainers don't fill me with confidence. 

The stretching of Carlos' Achilles because they assumed it was a calf cramp seemed particularly egregious. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

It's a blow, no doubt, but let's not forget that Moreno works well because the system is designed for him to do well (if that makes sense). He's certainly not irreplaceable, we just need to go out and find an attacking left back similar in quality and we should be fine. As much as I rate Moreno, there will be players out there that can do a similar job to him, if not better. This is where our scouting should come into play. 

I know we're in a better position now to recruit than pretty much ever, but it's been years and years since we had a fullback this dynamic.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The trainers let him walk off the pitch when he could have hopped on one leg with assistance or been stretchered off.

Another situation where the trainers don't fill me with confidence. 

The stretching of Carlos' Achilles because they assumed it was a calf cramp seemed particularly egregious. 

ye, i remember the physio stretching Carlo's foot out, in hindsight that was almost medical negligence!

Add this to it, it doesnt shine a pretty light on it tbh.

If there was any doubt of his injury, he shouldnt have been flippin walking on it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'm just thinking if we can shift Digne and go out and buy an even better left back than Moreno then it's a strong position to be in. 

We won't be shifting Digne now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Real shame, looks like he has had a great injury record over his career too.  Hopefully he can recover quicker than expected over the summer.

Begs the question are we doing something to our players that is hampering their fitness.  It's still one area we always seem to get unlucky in, to the point where it feels like it must be more than just bad luck.  They're all unlucky/ unusual/ freak injuries... but how unlucky can we be.

At least it's one area of the pitch that we have a very competent backup, and hopefully he returns the same player that he was before the injury. 

8 hours ago, HKP90 said:

The universe just can't let us have nice things, can it.

The left back curse rolls on.

Moreno is quality but yes bad injury who can accelerate up and down the pitch pretty comfortably. Hopefully the Achilles dosen't go when he returns.

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The left back curse rolls on.

Moreno is quality but yes bad injury who can accelerate up and down the pitch pretty comfortably. Hopefully the Achilles dosen't go when he returns.

I'm just waiting for Digne to be involved in a bizarre gardening accident.

This is gonna be like Bouma all over again isn't it?

10 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

It's a blow, no doubt, but let's not forget that Moreno works well because the system is designed for him to do well (if that makes sense). He's certainly not irreplaceable, we just need to go out and find an attacking left back similar in quality and we should be fine. As much as I rate Moreno, there will be players out there that can do a similar job to him, if not better. This is where our scouting should come into play. 

Our scouting should do yes. Hoping for better than who the papers seem to think we're after.

The confidence on the ball Moreno has is crucial though. He's more effective than many "better" players than him because he's a lunatic. Starts carrying the ball from anywhere and drives past people.

• Like 1

Timestamp 4:30 Alex Moreno. It's pretty crazy how much he creates. Digne one of the top in the League too. I think it's down to how ultra attacking LB is in the Emery system. Interesting later on with McGinn in the chart and how he remains key to ball progression.

• Like 4

I'm hoping sports medicine has advanced since the Bouma and Owen days, and that Moreno comes back "even stronger" as he's predicted. I say give him all the time needed and even more, Digne is perfectly acceptable until Alex is ready. Just hope Digne doesn't get hurt too!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a photo of Moreno on Instagram back at Bodymoor which is encouraging.

Presumably Digne plays the first few matches and Moreno is back a few games into the season.

At a push I guess Mings could cover there, I'm sure I've seen McGinn play out a game there for the last few minutes.

Â