Álex Moreno

Delphinho123

4 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Ambidextrous on this ... the club Aston Villa is or the people at Aston Villa are. Depends if you are more of a "people person" or more of an "elitist club" person.

Strictly speaking, you could instead be a "basket case club person" while using "is". That's a bit more how I feel after Sunday.

Villa are severely lacking in pace, so this signing is very exciting to me. He's going to help drive the play forward far more quickly and it looks like his speed/dribbling/movement will help finally create a bit of space for the likes of Coutinho/Buendia to work in.

With links to the likes of Deulofeu, it's clear Emery has identified pace as a big issue at the club, and rightly so. A couple of signings could quickly transform this side and help bring out some better form from players already at the club.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Villa are severely lacking in pace, so this signing is very exciting to me. He's going to help drive the play forward far more quickly and it looks like his speed/dribbling/movement will help finally create a bit of space for the likes of Coutinho/Buendia to work in.

With links to the likes of Deulofeu, it's clear Emery has identified pace as a big issue at the club, and rightly so. A couple of signings could quickly transform this side and help bring out some better form from players already at the club.

But both 29 year olds. in 2 years time we be looking for new players with pace to replace them. 

3 hours ago, messi11 said:

But both 29 year olds. in 2 years time we be looking for new players with pace to replace them. 

Maybe but Kyle Walker is 32, not far off 33 and still rapid.  Very much depends how they look after themselves that help determine how quickly pace slows down  but arguably they have a few more years than they used to so we may have much more that 2 years.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

The English side of me from my hard-arse machinist dad doesn't get all the hugs. Why hug? Why aren't they shaking hands? Am I just too 1955 or something? What's happened? The phrase "Villa's gone soft" keeps echoing in my head. I don't know. It just feels kind of forced to me. 

Yes they should be cutting down trees with their bare hands, or other such manly pursuits instead.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, est1874 said:

In this instance it's Aston Villa, the club.

You wouldn't say "The club are delighted", that's just shocking English.

When referring specifically to the team on the pitch, "Aston Villa are" is more appropriate.

Nah - it's referring to representatives of the club so it's "are".  A club cannot make a bid  or an announcement itself, only people representing it can.  Plus "the team is" tends to be standard American usage, whereas "the team are" is standard British usage.        

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, est1874 said:

You'd think we'd just signed Messi, the way the social media team are milking this. No fewer than 10 Instagram posts including stories since the official announcement. We don't even know if he's decent 🤣

I agree, it’s great that Emery has got his first signing but feels more like they are trying to convince us he’s a star signing than being a star signing.  Do all the media stuff but seems a little forced. I hope he does well though but tough to get too excited.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Segundo said:

Nah - it's referring to representatives of the club so it's "are".  A club cannot make a bid  or an announcement itself, only people representing it can.  Plus "the team is" tends to be standard American usage, whereas "the team are" is standard British usage.        

This. Sports teams described in the singular grates my eyes.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, est1874 said:

You'd think we'd just signed Messi, the way the social media team are milking this. No fewer than 10 Instagram posts including stories since the official announcement. We don't even know if he's decent 🤣

I think they’re just trying to raise positivity levels after Sundays disaster.

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Do you think the club signed him randomly like Salifou

I assume they think he is decent

Â