Top 5 Villa players in your lifetime

Johnnyp

God

Yorke

Laursen

Benteke

Jack

Actually quite surprised about the lack of Benteke in people's lists. He was so good for us before he got injured, left us and was replaced by Heskey in Benteke suit that still lumbers around today. 

Edited by VBM

Five favourites:

• Tony Morley - because when you're eleven, the flying winger with the flair for the extraordinary is everything in the world. 
  • Paul McGrath - because he was magnificent and even more so due to his lifestyle. He was uncanny, he could see a few seconds into the future.
  • Dwight Yorke - because he played with a smile and a trick and he was great to watch.
  • Olof Mellberg - because he was quick, strong, stubborn, bearded, unbearded and magnificent.
  • Jack Grealish - because when you're in your forties, the flying winger with the flair for the extraordinary is everything in the world

Sadly I missed out on Little. I don't often get to say this, but I'm too young to remember!

• Like 3

I’m not been funny but Jack completely slipped my mind. Zero bitterness, fantastic player but when i mentioned the 5 i picked they were players i grew up watching when we used to finish top 6, ( 2nd 92/93 ) and have great runs in the UEFA cup. Barry and that Villa team in ‘08, Ajax at VP in the Europa league. On hindsight, Jack for Angel. Jack’s didn’t play in great Villa teams either. Highest was 11th. 

McGrath - obvious

Yorke - left a sour taste, but genius of a player

Barry - for longevity, versatility and consistency

Grealish - for raw talent and for those magical seasons with Smith

Struggling to pick a 5th. There’s a load of players I enjoyed watching… Merson, Ashley Young, Staunton, Bosnich was brilliant in his heyday, peak Gabby and Benteke were very destructive players… of the current crop I love Martinez, Dougie Luiz and Kamara.

5 hours ago, Billson said:

Milner that season he switched to centre mid as well.

Yeah I would have had Milner in if he’d stuck around longer.

Think it’s a huge shame actually that he never really got to play that role again in his career, as he became a winger / utility player at City and although Klopp has used him as a centre mid, he’s never really played the role MON had him in. Shame as he was superb that season.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Tony Morley - because when you're eleven, the flying winger with the flair for the extraordinary is everything in the world.

My football hero alongside Zico. So good to watch. I think Morley was severely underrated. 

• Like 1

From around '92 onwards... 

I have 2 lists. First, is what I'd deem as the' best' players we've had in that time (as if viewed by a fan from another club) Second, is my fave players in that time. 

Best - McGrath, Yorke, Young, Grealish, Barry. 

Fave - Mellberg, Barry, Angel, Merson, Hitzlsperger. 

Nilis would have made either list if his career wasn't cut short, you could see he was brilliant. 

Oh and honourable mention to El Ghazi, I'll never forget that 1st goal in the playoff final and even though many thought he was crap, I loved watching him play. 

• Like 4

Not necessarily the 'best' players, but my top 5:

• McGrath - just because. Plus got a photo with him when he was flogging his book.
  • Yorke - loved this guy. And his song. 
  • Benteke - impact; he basically kept us up for 2 years and was a beast
  • Cowans - amazing player, so talented - both feet and accuracy of pass. Plus, I met him in the pub a few years ago, and bought him a pint.
  • Platt - he just became so good for club and country. Met him at Bromsgrove Rovers!

They're a bit more stalker'y that I thought!

58 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Five favourites:

• Tony Morley - because when you're eleven, the flying winger with the flair for the extraordinary is everything in the world. 
  • Paul McGrath - because he was magnificent and even more so due to his lifestyle. He was uncanny, he could see a few seconds into the future.
  • Dwight Yorke - because he played with a smile and a trick and he was great to watch.
  • Olof Mellberg - because he was quick, strong, stubborn, bearded, unbearded and magnificent.
  • Jack Grealish - because when you're in your forties, the flying winger with the flair for the extraordinary is everything in the world

Sadly I missed out on Little. I don't often get to say this, but I'm too young to remember!

Tony Morley was my first Villa hero as a young lad for that exact reason. The rest of my list agrees with you, but with possibly Platt replacing Mellberg. Platt wins out for me because of the goals he scored for us, and the goal for England against Belgium was a proud moment for a young Villa fan at school surrounded by annoying Spurs and Liverpool fans. Yorke played some sublime stuff for us, I remember him making a fool out of Southamptons Ken Moncur and Francis Benali in one game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChesterDad said:

McGrath 

Cowans

Shaw

Cropley

Laursen.

I’m genuinely shocked that Daley has appeared so often: He wouldn’t get in my top 50 - but I guess that’s footie for you  and it’s all about opinions 🤷‍♂️

With those five forming the spine of the team we’d only need a GK and that would be enough. Spinksy or Jimmy Rimmer either would do fine. 

• Like 1

McGrath - quite simply the best of the best for us in my time to date.  Didn’t train all week and was then majestic on match day. Just loved watching him.  He had the first couple of yards in his head before anyone else and just snuffed the danger out. Not many got the better of him. 

Platt - He was an absolute bargain and was fantastic whilst with us. Would ghost into the box and score all the time.  Before Italia 90 I remember the chant from the Holte, which was - “we all agree, Platty’s better than Gascoigne”. 

Yorke - Was so raw when he started on the wing but you could see the talent. When he then moved to a central forward he became one of the best in the league and earned his move.  

Barry - was just unflappable. Super talented and never seemed to give the ball away. 

Grealish - the game was easy to him. Would drift past players at ease and won us games singlehanded. During that period with Smith he was unstoppable on the pitch. 

Honourable mention to………Birch, Walters, Cowans, Daley, Saunders, Atkinson, Staunton, I Taylor, Merson, A Young, Gabby and Benteke.

Edited by ferguson1

Â