Top 5 Villa players in your lifetime

Johnnyp

On 06/01/2023 at 01:36, Dillon66 said:

Saw both of those sides and they were great but I still believe the best footballing Villa team I've seen is BFR's team with Parker, Rico, Houghton, Saunders, Dalian etc etc. How we didn't win that first Premier League is still a mystery to me, we were easily the best footballing team in the country....

Didn’t we lose at home to Oldham i think it was and im not sure if that result gave United the title or started our spiral. We faded bad in the end. 10 point gap. Started following Villa that season. Mad how something just grips you in the moment you are in as a kid. We played fantastic football as you rightly said. I was hooked on them. 

23 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Didn’t we lose at home to Oldham i think it was and im not sure if that result gave United the title or started our spiral. We faded bad in the end. 10 point gap. Started following Villa that season. Mad how something just grips you in the moment you are in as a kid. We played fantastic football as you rightly said. I was hooked on them. 

It was the 0-3 away loss to Blackburn (evening midweek game) that started the spiral in the run in. The game against Oldham handed the title to Manure.

I was at that game standing on the old Holte. Then I had to get the train back to school after the game. Yes, to f****g Manchester.

Surprised there's not more love for Gary Shaw. Best young player in Europe for 2 seasons - Messiesque. Injuries sadly ruined it all (typical for us Villans when say someone like Giggs goes on for years and years for Manure.)
Of course Sid Cowans is there and I was fortunate to watch McGrath a lot. Top three tied are

1.Shaw

1. Sid

1. McGrath

What a spine of the team those 3 would have been together in their prime!

Unfortunately have to say Yorke as well was a top, top player. Dalian was probably even more exciting but arguably didn't stay at his best for long enough.  Yorke comes in tied number 4 with......

Of course it still hurts but Grealish for Villa had something special and elevated the whole team. Few players can do that, but he was one. Sad that both his club and international manager seem to prefer to shackle him now and we will probably never see him playing again the way he did for us.

14 minutes ago, thunderball said:

This formal list is head, the subs bench is more heart:

Martinez 

McGrath

Benteke

Yorke

Grealish

subs: Daley, Platt, Milner, Laursen, Saunders, Atkinson, Taylor

Quality list, that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Did Andy Gray play with poor players like Tonev, Bacuna or Delph?

You'd have to have been alive then and seen it to understand. Gray 76/77 won both pfa player and young player of the year award.  He joined villa the season we got promoted. We'd been out of the top flight for many years. We only just survived that season.  Next season he set the world alight.  Gray is adored at Everton even though his knees were shot when there. They won a league and a cup with him there. They sold him back to us bought linekar and won nothing

He was a winner 

Looking at just the striker side of things, based on goals per game in the Premier League era, our best strikers have been:

Benteke 0.47gpg

Dwight Yorke 0.34gpg

Darren Bent 0.34gpg

John Carew 0.33gpg

Dean Saunders 0.33gpg

Good case for any of these to be in the list, but Bent and Carew don't get much love these days. (Maybe Carew does, but more as a cult hero, rather than as 'best striker'.

15 minutes ago, PaulC said:

You'd have to have been alive then and seen it to understand. Gray 76/77 won both pfa player and young player of the year award.  He joined villa the season we got promoted. We'd been out of the top flight for many years. We only just survived that season.  Next season he set the world alight.  Gray is adored at Everton even though his knees were shot when there. They won a league and a cup with him there. They sold him back to us bought linekar and won nothing

He was a winner 

Fantastic old fashioned centre forward 

I've been a Villa fan since I was a little kid, but i've only got an educated opinion on this since the early 2000s so we'll cut off there.

Young

Benteke

Martinez

Grealish

Laursen

Incidentally they'd make a delicious 5-a-side team.

Unlucky: Barry, Milner.

52 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Surprised I haven't seen Brian Little mentioned

McGrath

Cowans

Little

Yorke

Barry

But of course this leaves out some fantastic players, Platt, Gray, Milner, Laursen,Mellberg, Rioch, Jack just to mention a few

Little would have been in mine but he was finished at 26 but bit surprised you are the only one to bring up Rioch. Record signing for at then 2nd division club from Luton Town.

• Like 1

Â