Top 5 Villa players in your lifetime

Johnnyp

11 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Liam Ridgewell - no one compares

If include his own goal he scored for us he has more Premier League goals for Villa than some high profile players like Collymore 😛

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’m surprised Milner hasn’t had more mentions tbh. Absolute top tier player. 

He really only had 1 good season out of 3 at Villa. Young for example did more in that Villa team and for longer so did Gabby 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, baldivisvilla said:

If we had had a better pair of centre backs that year we would of been in with a shout of the title. Scored goals for fun that season.

Nicholl and Phillips weren't bad players. We needed a better keeper too. 

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

I’m surprised Milner hasn’t had more mentions tbh. Absolute top tier player. 

Yeah he's in my top 6/7 I give Young the edge because he was with us longer and had more season at a top level. Milner really had 2 great seasons here

5 hours ago, baldivisvilla said:

If we had had a better pair of centre backs that year we would of been in with a shout of the title. Scored goals for fun that season.

League Cup replays did not help with the title push

14 hours ago, Dillon66 said:

Saw both of those sides and they were great but I still believe the best footballing Villa team I've seen is BFR's team with Parker, Rico, Houghton, Saunders, Dalian etc etc. How we didn't win that first Premier League is still a mystery to me, we were easily the best footballing team in the country....

Fergie time played a big part in that. They were level with Sheffield Wednesday at 90 minutes, but the referee decided to play as long as was needed for them (Steve Bruce!), to score their winner. Otherwise they wouldn't have been 2 points clear of us, going into the last 5 games. Just look at the reaction of Fergie and Kidd to their win. That result inspired them and it deflated us. I really think we would have been favourites to have won the league, had it not been for Fergie Time. :(

PL Moments: Steve Bruce late double v Sheff Wed | When Steve Bruce's late,  late double against Sheffield Wednesday sent Manchester United fans wild -  and Sir Alex Ferguson... #PLMoments | By  

McGrath

Cowans

Platt

Shaw

Grealish

First four easy, fifth difficult because there were so many others (Andy Gray Mk1, Little, Merson, Yorke, Mortimer, Morley, Evans, Rimmer, etc.) but I think Jack had something I hadn't seen down the Villa for years

Some good lists here. I think that everyone who I'd put on my preliminary list has been mentioned...

I started following English football in 1992, so while I was alive for them, I missed the generation of Mortimer and Sid, and also Platt's brief stay. So sticking with 1992 onwards, in alphabetical order...

Barry

Grealish

Martinez

McGrath

Yorke

McGrath and Grealish were the two easiest to pick.

I almost forgot about goalkeepers, but once I remembered, Emi had to be on the list. (Bosnich gets an honourable mention too.)

It's hard to pick from the rest. Milner and Barry were here before most of their best years, Merson after most of his best years, and Young both before and after most of his best years. Barry was here for enough of his peak to make my list. The other three would be serious candidates if they had been here longer. Young almost made it anyway out of my respect for his longevity and his canniness after his return.

Yorke was our most reliable goal scorer during that period and just had to make the list.

Also considered Saunders (my first favorite player after I adopted Villa, but not here long enough), Benteke (the most reliable striker we've had during that time other than Yorke), Atkinson (electrifying on the day), Mings (probably my current favorite), Mellberg, Angel, Petrov.

Kamara may get there someday, but it's just too early.

Some favourites who were not quite worthy of consideration as the best were Ian Taylor, Garry Parker, and Savo Milosevic.

Edited by TomC
Forgot Petrov
  • Like 1

I was lucky enough to see Brian Little and Charlie Aitken in 1974 ... although I honestly barely remember the match as much as the atmosphere. I was 8. It's a golden memory. 

Emi Martinez and Jack Grealish have to go on my list.

Not necessarily among "top players," and I know he's sometimes annoying as a pundit, but Gabby Agbonlahor always seemed omnipresent in my mind for a few years, and has that big personality, and I also liked the two American Brads -- Friedel and Guzan -- because it made it feel like you could have some decent American players who cared about Birmingham.  

Edited by Marka Ragnos

4 hours ago, John said:

Fergie time played a big part in that. They were level with Sheffield Wednesday at 90 minutes, but the referee decided to play as long as was needed for them (Steve Bruce!), to score their winner. Otherwise they wouldn't have been 2 points clear of us, going into the last 5 games. Just look at the reaction of Fergie and Kidd to their win. That result inspired them and it deflated us. I really think we would have been favourites to have won the league, had it not been for Fergie Time. :(

PL Moments: Steve Bruce late double v Sheff Wed | When Steve Bruce's late,  late double against Sheffield Wednesday sent Manchester United fans wild -  and Sir Alex Ferguson... #PLMoments | By  

We got back to our car at the Yew tree and turned the radio on and the game was still playing 🤦‍♂️ Bruce got both of them if I recall 

• Like 1

Â