Pre match thread

Demitri_C

Up to recently I didn't have that much of a downer on Olsen. People were giving him stick for the Man. City game but two of those were close range tap ins a keeper can't do anything about and not convinced Emi would've saved the other goal.

Then the Man. United second half happened. Dropped a cross under little pressure, terrible kick outs, just stayed on his line when McTominey scored inside six yard box etc...

His presence will mean I'd be happy with a point compared to fancying a win if Emi was in goal so that's the different mentality with certain players sometimes.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Up to recently I didn't have that much of a downer on Olsen. People were giving him stick for the Man. City game but two of those were close range tap ins a keeper can't do anything about and not convinced Emi would've saved the other goal.

Then the Man. United second half happened. Dropped a cross under little pressure, terrible kick outs, just stayed on his line when McTominey scored inside six yard box etc...

His presence will mean I'd be happy with a point compared to fancying a win if Emi was in goal so that's the different mentality with certain players sometimes.

also, it can make such a difference to the defenders if they they are confident that the goalie will save most things or not.  If they aren't confident in Olsen, they will make more mistakes themselves.

• Like 3

So it'll either be a hungover Emi (which seems increasingly unlikely), a patched up and injured Olsen or a first ever appearance in mens football for Filip Marschall.

Given that Marschall apparently played 90 minutes against Everton, it looks like that might be the most likely.

Take a deep breath son!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ender4 said:

also, it can make such a difference to the defenders if they they are confident that the goalie will save most things or not.  If they aren't confident in Olsen, they will make more mistakes themselves.

Yep you could see that with Nyland in there and how nervous he made the CBs given his random decision making, handling and kicking. Then we put Emi in and suddenly it was a near unbeatable unit for six months with endless clean sheets.

Anyway just had a look at Liverpool team and it's an interesting mix and match side. Would say it's good news Jota isn't involved as he's the type that has always given us issues back to his Wolves days.

32 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So it'll either be a hungover Emi (which seems increasingly unlikely), a patched up and injured Olsen or a first ever appearance in mens football for Filip Marschall.

Given that Marschall apparently played 90 minutes against Everton, it looks like that might be the most likely.

Take a deep breath son!

What actually happened to Olsen? I know he went off at half time in the friendly but very often that's a precaution. If he was in serious doubt for Liverpool we'd have surely sent an SOS to Emi to get back.

I did actually check if Steer was still actually our player. I know he did his ACL for Luton but just checked and that was in February so is he still not back? Poor guy's had a nightmare run of injuries in last 4 years. I'd have him in all day ahead of Olsen. 

33 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I did actually check if Steer was still actually our player. I know he did his ACL for Luton but just checked and that was in February so is he still not back? Poor guy's had a nightmare run of injuries in last 4 years. I'd have him in all day ahead of Olsen. 

He was sat behind the bench at an U23 game a few weeks back at Bodymoor - I'm not sure what his status is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

He was sat behind the bench at an U23 game a few weeks back at Bodymoor - I'm not sure what his status is.

And he's in the OS training video at Bodymoor from just a few days ago, with the first team players. And with his usual big smile, that's something!  : D

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Take a deep breath son!

Needs to watch a video of Spinky in the EC Final. 

• Like 2

Oliwier Zych's parents were over from Poland for the U21's match earlier in the week - I bet they weren't considering the idea of him being on the bench on Boxing Day!

---------------------------Marschall-------------------------

Cash-----------Konsa----------Mings---------Digne

------------------Kamara---------Luiz----------------------

----------------------------McGinn---------------------------

Bailey----------------------------------------------Watkins

-----------------------------Ings--------------------------------

(Ramsey for McGinn if he's fit).

Or maybe:

---------------------------Marschall-------------------------

Cash-----------Konsa----------Mings---------Digne

-----------------------------Kamara---------------------------

-------------------McGinn-------Luiz-----------------------

-----------------------------Buendia--------------------------

---------------Bailey-------------------Watkins------------

The goal keeper situation here, is a concern, but also is the intensity required too.

We have to be quick to the ball, not give it away cheaply, and get about them.....lots of hard work there.

It will require a lot of that to overcome a plucky Liverpool side.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

What actually happened to Olsen? I know he went off at half time in the friendly but very often that's a precaution. If he was in serious doubt for Liverpool we'd have surely sent an SOS to Emi to get back.

We can't ( morally) do that, Chris. Its once in a lifetime achievement.

If Emi is out for any reason, Inc winning World cups......we need to look at our recruitment.

I suspect, we will have other issues too, not just Goal Keeper.

Tough game on our return to action, especially with Martinez and Ramsey missing.  Let’s hope Olsen makes it because it’s a big ask for any young keeper to start the game.

Olsen

Cash        Konsa             Mings         Digne

Kamara          Luiz 

McGinn                    Buendia

Bailey         Watkins

Subs: Marschall, A Young, Augustinsson, Chambers, Nakamba, Dendoncker, Coutinho, Ings, Archer 

Will try and be positive and say if we’re at it for the 90 minutes, we can obtain a point. 1-1 UTV

• Like 1