Pre match thread

Demitri_C

If Unai can lead us to victory, given all of the circumstances, we will really start to believe. Like many fans, I expect, I cannot watch this one anyway, due to family commitments on Boxing Day. If we do have to endure yet another defeat to Liverpool, there is still a lot to look forward to.

Its got the feeling of a big oldshool PL game no one knows what to expect. Can we rise to the challenge Martinez-less? Looking forward to finding out. Just feels good to know we have a real manager who can pick different systems and has good ingame management. Blessing that we’re even allowed to feel slightly confident. What a guy

UTEmery UTV

I have to say, more than anything I cannot wait to walk through the turnstiles on Monday. I don't really care who's playing, or who is not, I'm just looking forward to getting back down there after what seems like.... too long. 

• Like 2

Ramsey out is another big blow, sort of game where he can pop up with a goal with a forward run not tracked.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if we just go with Kamara-Luiz-Dendoncker to really lock down the central spaces and then have Bailey/Buendia trying to link up with Ings and also drift wide to try to block their FBs.

We'll certainly need all of Emery's tactical acumen to get a point here with key players missing.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Ramsey out is another big blow, sort of game where he can pop up with a goal with a forward run not tracked.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if we just go with Kamara-Luiz-Dendoncker to really lock down the central spaces and then have Bailey/Buendia trying to link up with Ings and also drift wide to try to block their FBs.

We'll certainly need all of Emery's tactical acumen to get a point here with key players missing.

Yeah i would go with that that cm twam but i have a horrivkw feeling mcginn plays ahead of dendonker 

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Liverpools weakness is their high line, it's an absolute must game for Watkins, he and Bailey getting onto through balls and balls over the top will cause them problems all day.

Yeah Watkins has a decent enough record against these. Liverpool have been just as crap away from home as us this season with only one win. They lost at Forest, Arsenal and Utd; drew at Fulham and Everton. If we can get about them early and harness the atmosphere of an enthusiastic VP, then who knows what we can take from the game. Dont know about anyone else but just not having to come up against Sadio Mane gives me added confidence. If Olsen can go a game without screwing up ill be extremely grateful. Another Holte End strike for Bailey would be lovely.

Edited by BleedClaretAndBlue
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I have a feeling that Watkins will start ahead of Ings

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Its got the feeling of a big oldshool PL game no one knows what to expect. Can we rise to the challenge Martinez-less?

Boxing Day games have a habit of throwing up unexpected results. 

16 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Liverpools weakness is their high line, it's an absolute must game for Watkins, he and Bailey getting onto through balls and balls over the top will cause them problems all day.

Very long time ago now but Ings did score twice in the last actual game we played and I thought his link up play was good aswell.

Would be a tough call to drop him unless we're shoe-horning Ollie out wide but with this manager at least you know the decision is being made from over a decade managing top sides.

19 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think you are right....but equally, I see a problem with crosses,from them and they seem thrive on them.

We have to find a way to stop them balls coming in....and without our first team Goal Keeper, I see a problem, if we don't.

My confidence is not sky high on this game......1-2....sorry.

Edited by TRO