Kylian Mbappé

messi11

25 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Its quite straightforward. The post by @DJ_Villain about what Goldstein says is exactly my point.

Anyway, let's leave it now.

You must be new here. If you’re agreeing with DJ Villain then you’re probably wrong. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You must be new here. If you’re agreeing with DJ Villain then you’re probably wrong. 

I am agreeing with the point about Goldsteins comments. I don't need to be told about other posters being wrong thanks.

7 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

It was exactly my point. If you don't/can't understand the connection then please let's leave it now.

Nobody is arguing that they agree with Goldstein’s comments. Wanting Messi to win the World Cup has nothing to do with what Goldstein is saying

16 hours ago, bobzy said:

I think this is a bit OTT.  No-one here really "supports" Messi or Mbappe and most actively dislike the "big 6"; there is no clamour for any of these players or teams to do well.

What does happen is that when the team you support can't do anymore (Villa aren't in the CL, England are knocked out of the World Cup) you naturally prefer one of the remaining teams to win.  Sure, people will say "I don't care who wins" - and they may well not - but there will be a slight preference of <x> winning because <y>.  "I don't really mind who wins the World Cup because England can't, but it would be pretty cool for Messi to complete his trophy haul and cement his name as arguably the greatest ever so I'd prefer Argentina to win".

It's absolutely **** miles away from glory hunting.

The initial argument was wanting PSG to win the Champions League so Mbappe could win one and that's why the gloryhunter comment started

I have no problem people wanting Messi to win the World Cup(I wanted Emi to win) or somebody like Modric

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

The initial argument was wanting PSG to win the Champions League so Mbappe could win one and that's why the gloryhunter comment started

I have no problem people wanting Messi to win the World Cup(I wanted Emi to win) or somebody like Modric

But that’s all the same thing. Villa aren’t there, so have a preference for another team to win for <a reason>. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

But that’s all the same thing. Villa aren’t there, so have a preference for another team to win for <a reason>. 

Exactly. That’s not gloryhunting. Gloryhunting would be switching to support PSG because they’re going to win the champions league. Nobody here SUPPORTS Argentina or PSG or anyone other than Villa. Having a preference isn’t supporting. 

Wanting another team to win something when your team can’t anymore isn’t gloryhunting. Whether that team is PSG or Scunthorpe. It literally isn’t the definition. 

It’s fine having a problem with it. It’s a bit of a weird problem but whatever. But it isn’t gloryhunting.

Edited by Stevo985

20 hours ago, Zatman said:

Argentina won it in 86

Dont make people sound older 😜

20 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That's 36 years ago. I said 40 odd... close enough :) 

I was born in 87 and I endorse @Zatman’s message. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An extraordinarily sensitive insight on gloryhunting, or my perceptiveness in action.

Gloryhunting is one of those things that people just automatically diss by route without thinking, but is it so very bad to want glory, I hope that Villa will be hunting for glory. In the meantime if Villa aren't in the hunt then in any given game I might prefer one team or the other to get the win, that's part of the fun of watching football games.

8 minutes ago, useless said:

An extraordinarily sensitive insight on gloryhunting, or my perceptiveness in action.

Gloryhunting is one of those things that people just automatically diss by route without thinking, but is it so very bad to want glory, I hope that Villa will be hunting for glory. In the meantime if Villa aren't in the hunt then in any given game I might prefer one team or the other to get the win, that's part of the fun of watching football games.

Growing up as a child as well (different in this day and age with the internet, but still probably true) your exposure and everything treated as "amazing" from abroad are the big, established 'European giants'.  I had both Villa shirts and large European team (Barcelona, Ajax, Milan) shirts growing up and my favourite players were always with those sides - particularly Van Basten, Kluivert, Koeman for some reason... I liked Dutch players apparently - and so if Barcelona were playing <whoever> in Europe, then I would want Barcelona to win.  They were held as an iconic team and representation of what I dreamed Aston Villa would become.

It's different as an adult, obviously, but it's quite easy to see why certain sides are so big.  Even the followers of slightly niche teams from not-their-country won't be heading below 2nd tier (lets face it, likely not below the top league) to choose a team to 'follow' alongside their usual club.

22 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Ok wanting the best, most successful and richest footballers in the world to win even more and be even richer and more successful is nothing like glory hunting.  Fine.

Whatever it is, it's jumping on the bandwagon and ultimately that same mindset, I think, leads to the same thing, namely, the rich getting richer and the big 6 getting bigger.

The amount of locals with Messi shirts in Qatar and the support that Argentina got there from non Argentinians was a factor in the winning it in my opinion. 

Which ultimately affected other nations success.

Sod Messi and Mbappe. 

You say this like Messi and Mbappe was born with golden spoons. they probz lived in a way more 'deprived area' then you. They come from nothing to be megastars. 
Fair play to them!

Why is it a crime to want to see the best players play football? 

2 hours ago, Lupinthe5th said:

You say this like Messi and Mbappe was born with golden spoons. they probz lived in a way more 'deprived area' then you. They come from nothing to be megastars. 
Fair play to them!

He's done incredibly well for himself but I think it's only fair to say that Mbappe went to a private school in Paris, he's hardly a rags to riches story.

In 2022, Mbappé (24yo) has 55 goals in 55 games and Haaland (22yo) has 42 goals in 40 games. 

Two absolutely incredible scorers. Together, they have a total of 97 goals in 95 games in 2022.

To think that a 24 year old Messi scored 91 goals in 69 games in 2012.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

It’s becoming clear that he’s going to be the saga of the summer.

PSG don’t want to lose him for free next summer

PSG will have to pay him £100m+ loyalty bonus if he stays till the end of his contract 

PSG believe he has signed a contract with Real Madrid to join for free next summer

PSG trying very hard to sell him this summer, but if he’s pre-agreed to join Madrid next year then it’s a non-starter.

PSG will apparently consider loan deals, but he’s apparently on about €2m a week so nobody is going to pay €100m for a 1 year loan.

PSG are getting a taste of their own medicine (and it’s glorious).

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s becoming clear that he’s going to be the saga of the summer.

PSG don’t want to lose him for free next summer

PSG will have to pay him £100m+ loyalty bonus if he stays till the end of his contract 

PSG believe he has signed a contract with Real Madrid to join for free next summer

PSG trying very hard to sell him this summer, but if he’s pre-agreed to join Madrid next year then it’s a non-starter.

PSG will apparently consider loan deals, but he’s apparently on about €2m a week so nobody is going to pay €100m for a 1 year loan.

PSG are getting a taste of their own medicine (and it’s glorious).

Give the guy all he wanted to keep him for an extra year and wonder why you lose all the bargaining chips.

It's silly - and it's not like it's given PSG anything other than the league and some marketing. 

Â