Kylian Mbappé

messi11

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

Yes so do I. I just got back from the world cup. 

I'm talking about the clamour for Mbappe and Messi to win even more trophies by people unassociated with either the player, their.clubs or even their countries. As I say, it's just more examples of glory hunting. 

And what was it like growing up in Birmingham?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Haaland, Bellingham, Vivinctus jr, Muisala then in a few yrs Endrick

Endrick played 7 Senior games. There no way to tell what level he will become. 
Haaland a good shout, Goals normally get attention even tho Haaland will never be as good as KDB

2 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

And what was it like growing up in Birmingham?

Growing up in Birmingham? Itv wasn't particularly great as I grew up in a quite deprived area, (Perry Barr), but I had no frame of reference at the time.

Why? What does that have to do with anything?

14 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Growing up in Birmingham? Itv wasn't particularly great as I grew up in a quite deprived area, (Perry Barr), but I had no frame of reference at the time.

Why? What does that have to do with anything?

I think he’s talking about the fact that Brum was/is full of glory hunter fans that don’t support their local club. It wasn’t a dig.

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't know what your definition of gloryhunting is but it doesn't sound right to me.

Wanting a player you admire to win something isn't gloryhunting.

Taking Martinez out of the equation, I was fully behind Argentina to win the world cup because of Messi. Obviously england came first, but once they were out Argentina was my second choice. Does that make me a gloryhunter?

Wanting the same handful of players to keep winning everything is precisely why there are so many gloryhunters amd precisely why the Sky 6 exist. 

I find it baffling that people (Villa fans and fans of clubs outside of the cartels) propagate it by wanting it to happen.

I'd much rather success was spread around, that way we might see some at Villa Park again one day.

The fawning over the likes of Mbappe, Messi and the top 6 clubs etc just makes the imbalance greater.

Surely you can see what I mean?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Wanting the same handful of players to keep winning everything is precisely why there are so many gloryhunters amd precisely why the Sky 6 exist. 

I find it baffling that people (Villa fans and fans of clubs outside of the cartels) propagate it by wanting it to happen.

I'd much rather success was spread around, that way we might see some at Villa Park again one day.

The fawning over the likes of Mbappe, Messi and the top 6 clubs etc just makes the imbalance greater.

I agree with this, i do make an exception for international football as can't buy players.

I think the only time I wanted a big name to win a trophy was maybe Buffon and the Champions League

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Messi has never won the world cup. And Argentina haven't won it for 40 odd years. France won it last time. So surely wanting Messi and Argentina to win is doing the opposite of what you're saying here

55 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Not really, no

You're basically saying you can't want anyone outside of Villa to do well otherwise you're gloryhunting.

That isn't gloryhunting. Gloryhunting is supporting a team because they always win stuff. That's not even close to being the same thing

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Messi has never won the world cup. And Argentina haven't won it for 40 odd years. France won it last time. So surely wanting Messi and Argentina to win is doing the opposite of what you're saying here

Not really, no

You're basically saying you can't want anyone outside of Villa to do well otherwise you're gloryhunting.

That isn't gloryhunting. Gloryhunting is supporting a team because they always win stuff. That's not even close to being the same thing

Argentina won it in 86

Dont make people sound older 😜

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I agree with this, i do make an exception for international football as can't buy players.

I think the only time I wanted a big name to win a trophy was maybe Buffon and the Champions League

I think this is a bit OTT.  No-one here really "supports" Messi or Mbappe and most actively dislike the "big 6"; there is no clamour for any of these players or teams to do well.

What does happen is that when the team you support can't do anymore (Villa aren't in the CL, England are knocked out of the World Cup) you naturally prefer one of the remaining teams to win.  Sure, people will say "I don't care who wins" - and they may well not - but there will be a slight preference of <x> winning because <y>.  "I don't really mind who wins the World Cup because England can't, but it would be pretty cool for Messi to complete his trophy haul and cement his name as arguably the greatest ever so I'd prefer Argentina to win".

It's absolutely **** miles away from glory hunting.

Ok wanting the best, most successful and richest footballers in the world to win even more and be even richer and more successful is nothing like glory hunting.  Fine.

Whatever it is, it's jumping on the bandwagon and ultimately that same mindset, I think, leads to the same thing, namely, the rich getting richer and the big 6 getting bigger.

The amount of locals with Messi shirts in Qatar and the support that Argentina got there from non Argentinians was a factor in the winning it in my opinion. 

Which ultimately affected other nations success.

Sod Messi and Mbappe. 

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 1

On 19/12/2022 at 00:01, Farlz said:

I think there's no doubt he'll end up breaking most goalscoring records. He's already going to become the World Cups highest scorer in 2026 at the age of 26/27? He's probably got another 3 tournaments in him barring injuries so god knows how many he'll end up with. 

Everyone thought the same with Thomas Muller.  He had 10 WC goals by the age of 24, he hasn't scored a WC goal since 2014.

Mbappe should break the record barring injury, but you never know.  As crazy as it sounds, France may not qualify for the next WC (look at Italy), or they could go completely off the boil (look at Germany).

6 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Andy Goldstein on TalkSport said the other day that competitions like the World Cup and Premier League are “devalued” when teams like Morocco and Leicester do well and upset the applecart at the expense of the teams that apparently have the divine right to all of the glory…

Then again, he’s a prick who supports United, so there you go…

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Andy Goldstein on TalkSport said the other day that competitions like the World Cup and Premier League are “devalued” when teams like Morocco and Leicester do well and upset the applecart at the expense of the teams that apparently have the divine right to all of the glory…

Then again, he’s a prick who supports United, so there you go…

Haha. Exactly. And this is what I mean. Everyone supporting the big guns causes this imbalance and its a poison to the game.

Some people just refuse to see it 

Edited by GlobalVillan

24 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Haha. Exactly. And this is what I mean. Everyone supporting the big guns causes this imbalance and its a poison to the game.

Some people just refuse to see it 

Of course they do… because they chose to support teams that win all the time so they can gloat at other peoples expense…

then, when the inevitable fall from grace happens, they hit a bump in the road and their entitled success dries up, whatever competitions they used to clear up and win at a canter are suddenly “devalued”

6 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Ok wanting the best, most successful and richest footballers in the world to win even more and be even richer and more successful is nothing like glory hunting.  Fine.

Whatever it is, it's jumping on the bandwagon and ultimately that same mindset, I think, leads to the same thing, namely, the rich getting richer and the big 6 getting bigger.

The amount of locals with Messi shirts in Qatar and the support that Argentina got there from non Argentinians was a factor in the winning it in my opinion. 

Which ultimately affected other nations success.

Sod Messi and Mbappe. 

What a truly bizarre opinion

Â