Club Crest Discussion (2022 version)

Demitri_C

16 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I respectfully disagree, as I think the new one is really good. They did ask for guidance from fans, and the majority of those they asked said round badge, there’s only so much you can do with that. No such thing as right and wrong where design is concerned though 😃 

The more I see it the more I like it :) 

And that’s why i feel it’s middle of the road. It went to a public vote. 

much like the tv vote in talent shows.. the safest one wins, but rarely makes it “big”

Often the losers are the ones that make it “big” because they wasn’t as safe, they had an edge, something unique, something to remark on. 

like villa’s new badge, their isn’t anything particularly to remark on. It’s clean, it’s nice, it’s round. There’s nothing unique that says anything Aston Villa 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

And that’s why i feel it’s middle of the road. It went to a public vote. 

much like the tv vote in talent shows.. the safest one wins, but rarely makes it “big”

Often the losers are the ones that make it “big” because they wasn’t as safe, they had an edge, something unique, something to remark on. 

like villa’s new badge, their isn’t anything particularly to remark on. It’s clean, it’s nice, it’s round. There’s nothing unique that says anything Aston Villa 

Very well put. I still don’t agree though :) 

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Apart from the literal words saying ‘Aston Villa’ 😉

Just joking but I think it screams Aston Villa….the name, the colours, the date, the link to our European win, the history of the round badge, the lion.  Very few details are unique to Villa but in combination is Villa.

Yet non villa football fans compare it to the Chelsea badge. and state how similar it is to the other round badges with the thick border and name written in the border. 

it’s a classic template that everyone loves, but it’s safe and not particularly unique 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Yet non villa football fans compare it to the Chelsea badge. and state how similar it is to the other round badges with the thick border and name written in the border. 

it’s a classic template that everyone loves, but it’s safe and not particularly unique 

I get that but I don’t care what fans of other clubs think especially when they are likely to be biased to the negative of anything new from a rival club.  I’ve never been jealous of a rivals badge in the PL and can find faults on pretty much all of them if I tried.  This is about what Villa fans wanted and on the whole seem to want something like this…is it perfect? No but it based on a consensus of varying views and incorporates everything that is Villa while being easily marketable.  Maybe a classic template but I think the other components make it unique on the whole…as for safe, I’m not sure what not safe would be and be liked by the majority of fans, it just seems a term used when it’s not the badge that the user wanted.

Just now, alreadyexists said:

Iceland’s new badge is the best one I’ve seen for a long time

image.thumb.jpeg.e7d291670821888302b8b5068923357c.jpeg

I hate it, looks like one of those kaleidoscope things I saw as a kid but somebody run out of colours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

image.thumb.jpeg.4b0b910dc6f9655b1c2d09c15a893139.jpeg

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

A Villa one could’ve been interesting, incorporating four quintessentially Villa things in to one badge.

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

image.thumb.jpeg.4b0b910dc6f9655b1c2d09c15a893139.jpeg

A Villa one could’ve been interesting, incorporating four quintessentially Villa things in to one badge.

That just shows that trying to put too much together makes it look like a jumbled mess.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I get that but I don’t care what fans of other clubs think especially when they are likely to be biased to the negative of anything new from a rival club.  I’ve never been jealous of a rivals badge in the PL and can find faults on pretty much all of them if I tried.  This is about what Villa fans wanted and on the whole seem to want something like this…is it perfect? No but it based on a consensus of varying views and incorporates everything that is Villa while being easily marketable.  Maybe a classic template but I think the other components make it unique on the whole…as for safe, I’m not sure what not safe would be and be liked by the majority of fans, it just seems a term used when it’s not the badge that the user wanted.

You’ve moving away from your original point of it being “uniquely Aston Villa”  

But yeah it’s ticks a lot of boxes what the fans wanted, but it’s just ended up as a identitkit vibe for a badge. (My opinion)

for the record, I don’t dislike it, or like it. It’s serviceable it does a fine job at what it needs to do, it just doesn’t feel distinctly “Aston Villa” “Birmingham” “us” 

@alreadyexists brings up a good unique design. Nation badges are often easier to make unique, as each country can pull ideas from their culture, style, icons, symbols and feel. 

3 lions are brilliant too. As it’s pulled from “English design” it’s part of the royal symbology, it’s medieval in design and maybe was there when England was formed as a country. I’ve not looked in to as a fact, but it what it feels like where it’s from. 

but designing a badge for a club is harder because the cultural pool is smaller.. but pulling too much from wider football isn’t the answer to gain something unique. (Again, just my opinion)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

Not sure how you'd visually represent us doing **** all from throw ins in a club crest.

It already does. The lion is taking the throw in and the star is the ball.

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I mean, it is very cool and unique... but you'd have absolutely no idea what it was/is unless told.

This may work for an International team, but I'm not sure this would be suitable for buildingg a " brand " or brand equity.

Not really recognisable as anything but a cool abstract design imo.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I mean, it is very cool and unique... but you'd have absolutely no idea what it was/is unless told.

This may work for an International team, but I'm not sure this would be suitable for buildingg a " brand " or brand equity.

Yeah you’re probably right. But if you imagine one less twiddly and with a lion and a bull and a chimney (industrial rev) and … maybe a rifle as a nod to the heritage of BSA or something… or a gas lamp… or a Balti dish, or something I think that could’ve been quite cool. 

• Like 1

I’m liking the new badge now it’s starting to be used on various media platforms. Like the transfer link of Pau Torres (below). Better use of our colours etc.

By no means perfect what would be? Every suggested badge in this thread had it’s faults. 

IMG_0631.jpeg.72033a5865f1ba1d94ceda200c37ab3d.jpeg

Not many of us can’t argue that it’s an improvement on the outgoing badge…………

IMG_9576.png.b46dbb25f95a576fd9c2a231582a0884.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I’m liking the new badge now it’s starting to be used on various media platforms. Like the transfer link of Pau Torres (below). Better use of our colours etc.

By no means perfect what would be? Every suggested badge in this thread had it’s faults. 

IMG_0631.jpeg.72033a5865f1ba1d94ceda200c37ab3d.jpeg

Not many of us can’t argue that it’s an improvement on the outgoing badge…………

IMG_9576.png.b46dbb25f95a576fd9c2a231582a0884.png

I do prefer the colour to the official one. Redid it if for anyone who wants to use it.

avfc-redone.jpg

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In fairness, brand doesn't matter so much with Iceland. Every opposition team for the next 10 years will just be chanting 'Play Jaja Ding Dong!' at them for 90 minutes.

• Haha 1

Â