Club Crest Discussion (2022 version)

Demitri_C

The current badge, imho is god-awful with the yellow-on-light-blue contrast.  It was designed as an improvement on that horrible stripey abomination from the 00's, which had supplanted a slightly-less-awful stripey monstrosity from the 90's - both of which had replaced the round badge synonymous with the best years/team in our modern history.  The stripey badges were where the "gold" lion first appeared, and for me that was the single biggest mistake.  Our colours are claret and blue - at no point in our history was "gold" (yellow) a part of things, other than a short period in the 1970's (and two single seasons - 1986 and 1993) when it was our away kit shirt colour.  If you had seen the official club publications prior to the internet (football albums etc.) our club colours were always listed as claret, blue and white.  Never gold.  The only gold you ever saw was in lettering/font when a contrast was necessary (ie, the badge, letterhead etc.). 

Personally, I like the new badge and would have been perfectly OK with the "gas lamp" option also.  I think the club/designer did an outstanding job with the new designs.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Rolta said:

So the client base wanted the badge as it is now!

I wouldn't say so really

The consultation was a questionnaire which fans answered to give the club ideas of what fans wanted on the badge.

But with the current one there was no final vote on options. They just came up with the badge based on the consultations and that was it.

This time around there's been a further stage where we actually got to choose a badge 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I wouldn't say so really

The consultation was a questionnaire which fans answered to give the club ideas of what fans wanted on the badge.

But with the current one there was no final vote on options. They just came up with the badge based on the consultations and that was it.

This time around there's been a further stage where we actually got to choose a badge 

I was messing around with that comment really. I remember the shoddiness of that process ok. It's crazy how long ago it was.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

You don't remember correctly.

It was the exact opposite. It was done with loads of consultation with the fans.
But they just chucked all of the ideas they got onto a badge without actually assessing whether it looked good or not

homer-simpsons.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was even initially against the star, but now... To me it's not so " small time ".

As it could even signify " chasing the star" , " aiming for the stars " , " aiming for glory " , " aiming for Champions League " etc

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

32 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I was even initially against the star, but now... To me it's not so " small time ".

As it could even signing " chasing the star" , " aiming for the stars " , " aiming for glory " , " aiming for Champions League " etc

I don't have an issue with the star in principle.

I just don't like where it's positioned on the badge. It looks really out of place.

We should have it central or not at all, imo

38 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What I wanna know is they are changing the badge on everything next season. When is the big sale to get rid of all the current badge stock! 

I was also thinking, if they are going to rebadge the whole stadium, ain't they going to have to remove it all when comstruction on North stand begins etc?

45 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What I wanna know is they are changing the badge on everything next season. When is the big sale to get rid of all the current badge stock! 

see I've been explaining to MrsVM there'll be a glut of cheap merch at some point that unusually I'm not that fussed about but round badge recognition training is in full swing!

1 hour ago, FLVillan said:

The current badge, imho is god-awful with the yellow-on-light-blue contrast.  It was designed as an improvement on that horrible stripey abomination from the 00's, which had supplanted a slightly-less-awful stripey monstrosity from the 90's - both of which had replaced the round badge synonymous with the best years/team in our modern history.  The stripey badges were where the "gold" lion first appeared, and for me that was the single biggest mistake.  Our colours are claret and blue - at no point in our history was "gold" (yellow) a part of things, other than a short period in the 1970's (and two single seasons - 1986 and 1993) when it was our away kit shirt colour.  If you had seen the official club publications prior to the internet (football albums etc.) our club colours were always listed as claret, blue and white.  Never gold.  The only gold you ever saw was in lettering/font when a contrast was necessary (ie, the badge, letterhead etc.). 

Personally, I like the new badge and would have been perfectly OK with the "gas lamp" option also.  I think the club/designer did an outstanding job with the new designs.

I like the new badge, and I am not one to criticise it because it's round and everyone has a round badge. (It's a symmetrical shape, get over it).

But as for your point about history, history changes and evolves. Gold has become our lesser colour at some stage, and is now a part of our identity. That identity changes yet again with the new badge. But I wouldn't knock it down just because it was only used "at some point" in our history. 

7 hours ago, nick76 said:

Also if I remember correctly this old badge was done by the club without consultation.  If that was the case, then those who wanted the new one done by professionals can clearly see that although it sometimes it works, in our case and others, when not controlled you get poor badges like our old one or the Leeds one, even our gas lamp one was poor. Thankfully the right one was picked.

IMG_1590.jpeg

Should just have a picture of Big Sam downing a pint of wine while pissing on a Man United shirt

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I like the new badge, and I am not one to criticise it because it's round and everyone has a round badge. (It's a symmetrical shape, get over it).

But as for your point about history, history changes and evolves. Gold has become our lesser colour at some stage, and is now a part of our identity. That identity changes yet again with the new badge. But I wouldn't knock it down just because it was only used "at some point" in our history. 

Not saying it shouldn't be there at all, it is a very logical choice for the font/wording.  We actually had a home shirt a few years ago (think it was one of the macron kits circa 2012ish) that had some gold piping.  It's just that I think making it (along with blue) the predominant colour of our badge was a poor decision, not only in terms of history but how it actually looked/looks.  Yellow and sky blue are not a good combination. None of our last four badges have looked good when viewed from distance.  Claret and blue are magnificent colours when combined due to their contrast.  

Funny aside - when I was selling my last house in Rhode Island, the family room was painted with sky blue walls with a white wainscot rail and claret doors and carpeting.  When the realtor showed up to do the assessment I'd convinced myself that she would tell me to repaint the room to help the house sell.  Instead she walked in and said "what a wonderful use of colour."  😃  

There is some historical bias in my opinion also though, as the last four badges revive my own memories of the worst I've seen of Aston Villa!  😀  These owners and now manager have revived my optimism not felt since I was a wee nipper standing on the Holte in 1980! The fact that they've given us a predominantly claret and blue badge just elevates them further.... 

2 hours ago, FLVillan said:

Personally, I quite liked the 90s one. Maybe because we were largely half-decent in that decade.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nick76 said:

Also if I remember correctly this old badge was done by the club without consultation.  If that was the case, then those who wanted the new one done by professionals can clearly see that although it sometimes it works, in our case and others, when not controlled you get poor badges like our old one or the Leeds one, even our gas lamp one was poor. Thankfully the right one was picked.

IMG_1590.jpeg

The leeds badge is a bit..........

image.jpeg.1f9b7908f086c2d8bfb8fb7acec3ef10.jpeg 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

The only time the current crest looks any good is when it's in monochrome

th?id=OIP.lCX8AWY1c6W26y3FIW1EdAHaE7%26p

aston-villa-19-20-third-kit-7.jpg&f=1&no

aston-villa-21-22-third-kit-7.jpg&f=1&no

aston-villa-22-23-third-kit-5.jpg&f=1&no

Light on dark/dark on light. As others have said the yellow on pale blue has always been terrible.

Indeed. Really glad I got the Green throwback shirt. 

Incidentally, I was watching the Holy Trinity podcast the other day, and he was wearing the old muller shirt, but it was yellow. And it didn't look like a Goalie top (I remember the old Bozzie rainbow jobs). Anyone know where that is from, and whether I could get one, cos it looked mint? 

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't have an issue with the star in principle.

I just don't like where it's positioned on the badge. It looks really out of place.

We should have it central or not at all, imo

Just to carry on with the Soviet theme, I think that’s the issue with having a central star. Does feel a bit People’s Republic of Aston

Â