Stand Up Comedy

Seat68

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Watched the new Gervais stand-up on Netflix, called Armageddon. I think he's just trying to be as offensive as possible and wind as many people up as he can. 

Some funny moments but not his best work, by any stretch. 

I thought the same, wasn't as clever as he used to be, but I think he will have his fans who will always overlook the diminishing returns. 

I used to love Ricky Gervais, but I thought afterlife was awful and his last few stand up shows have been really weak.

Some crappy joke like “you can always tell a transgender bloke by their big hands” and then a 10 minute lecture about why he doesn’t care if that joke offends someone. 

Then telling us about someone tweeting him about god and how he silenced them by replying something really witty like “which god are you talking about? Zeus?” or another line he’s been dining out on for 15 years.

All my opinion of course, maybe I’m just a woke snowflake and he’s just too edgy for me nowadays.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I used to love Ricky Gervais, but I thought afterlife was awful and his last few stand up shows have been really weak.

Some crappy joke like “you can always tell a transgender bloke by their big hands” and then a 10 minute lecture about why he doesn’t care if that joke offends someone. 

Then telling us about someone tweeting him about god and how he silenced them by replying something really witty like “which god are you talking about? Zeus?” or another line he’s been dining out on for 15 years.

All my opinion of course, maybe I’m just a woke snowflake and he’s just too edgy for me nowadays.

Yeah, this captures why his stand up has got weaker and weaker. He thinks he is so arch, but it's got lazy. 

• Like 1

Never been a fan of Ricky Gervais, I loved The Office but never anything else that he has ever done.

There is a difference between telling jokes that are offensive because they are funny and then telling jokes that are offensive because you have turned it into your "thing" and now you have to be as offensive as possible.

That is what I assume it would be like with him anyways, I've never watched any more than 5 minutes of his stand up shows.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Xela said:

Watched the new Gervais stand-up on Netflix, called Armageddon. I think he's just trying to be as offensive as possible and wind as many people up as he can. 

Some funny moments but not his best work, by any stretch. 

I saw it had been a bit controversial so I watched it. Could probably count on 1 hand the amount of times I found things funny.

The fact that his recent material is being fawned over and used to point score politically by the right says a lot about what he's saying now.

• Like 1

He now says the things that he knows will get the biggest reaction and make him the most money as people watch it. He's very good at that. 

His atheist stuff bored me 20 years on the XFM shows. 

The Office remains exceptional, and Extras is excellent too. Lifes Too Short is underrated as well, as Warwick Davies is brilliant in it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Stolen from Reddit. 

"The sad thing about Gervais is that when he wrote The Office he knew 'Finchy' was the joke. 

Nowadays, Finchy is his target audience."

Or Merchant did.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Or Merchant did.

Clearly something happened between Gervais and Merchant as they barely acknowledge each others existence anymore. Shame, as they were a great team. 

On 28/12/2023 at 23:45, leemond2008 said:

Never been a fan of Ricky Gervais, I loved The Office but never anything else that he has ever done.

There is a difference between telling jokes that are offensive because they are funny and then telling jokes that are offensive because you have turned it into your "thing" and now you have to be as offensive as possible.

That is what I assume it would be like with him anyways, I've never watched any more than 5 minutes of his stand up shows.

Just watched The new Gervais Netflix thing, it was shit, I love dark offensive comedy, Gervais just isn't funny.

The only bit that very nearly raised a chuckle from me was he was having his rant about the racist, homophobic, anti semitic cripple Timmy.

The Office, Derek and After Life are all exceptional and have that rare gift of being able to make you laugh whilst containing really sad, pull on heart strings moments. I've never been a fan of Gervais stand up though. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

The Office, Derek and After Life are all exceptional and have that rare gift of being able to make you laugh whilst containing really sad, pull on heart strings moments. I've never been a fan of Gervais stand up though. 

I'd swap The office for Extras.

I always thought The Office US was far superior to the UK version.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

In the real world I'm full on Guardian reading, tofu eating wokerati (although I'm really not), but I love the art of stand up, and I'm a sucker for a dark joke. I watched the Gervais special, and maybe laughed once. If you're going to joke about the subjects he's talking about, you got to say something that isn't hack. Essentially I felt his material was sub par twitter trolling level. 

I also watched the new Chappelle special, where he covered some similar subjects. In comparison, his jokes were fresh and deadly funny. That man just operates at a different level. I think that's the difference between a man who has devoted his life to stand up, vs a man who just decided he should also do stand up, alongside everything else he was doing in comedy. 

Edited by dAVe80

Â